• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help GoF! is problematic -- can I just get the bug fixes for vanilla?

Plisken

SCUMM™ Bag
Not a single version of GOF is working for me -- the game doesn't even start as soon as I install it, and have had to reinstall the game about five or six times over because of this. I don't have the time or patience to mess around with it any more, and I'm assuming the problem is all the additions made -- the new heroes and ships, the skill books, etc -- are wreaking havoc on the stability of the normal game. Is there any way I can just have a more stable vanilla game than a modded game which I can't even play?

Also, it seems vanilla runs pretty well, except it crashes when I want to change to another flag from the Jolly Roger and my ship gets caught way too hard in the cyclone caused by sinking ships. I haven't been able to play much since the reinstalling and messing around with the GOF mod has wasted a lot of my time.

EDIT: Crap, forgot to put the "NEED HELP" sticker.

The game doesn't start after installing any of the GOF mods?

That's a install issue for yourself, the easier way to do it (and saves all the reinstall process) is to install COAS vanilla (do not install or edit any files) now copy the age of pirates folder from the COAS directory and paste it onto the desktop. Now install GOF into this one, if it fails all you need to do is delete the following to folders and copy them from the default vanilla directory.
programs and INI (INI is located in the Resource folder). If you are not sure that the install is going as correctly, then extract the rare file or if your using the exe version of GOF, make a folder on the desktop and point the GOF installer to this new folder and let it install into there. Then copy all the files and folders from that once its finished installing and paste that over the top of your COAS files and folders. Say yes when asked to overwrite (if on windows vista, 7 or 8) check the box and then say yes, this will then repeat for all files and do the same for folders). Start the game, it should load up now with no problems.

If the game does load but it crashes a lot on you, then it could and most likely is a hardware problem for yourself because the game works fine, some bugs but as far as I have seen so far, GOF 2 is more stable than GOF 1.2. Sadly there isn't any community patches for the vanilla game, we was going to do one (or I was) but I never got around to it, I was to busy with the mod CM (later now known as GOF).

Have you updated the tages drivers? I could not find any comprehensive install directions, but I do know that one must do this. I will be reinstalling COAS soon and will be using these files to get it running.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpalg0tpyyfcivy/kGERHaZYW0/COAS stuff/no dvd patch-aop2.7z
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpalg0tpyyfcivy/xo7rxTj9_T/COAS stuff/TagesSetup_x64.exe
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpalg0tpyyfcivy/dUEPrHy9et/COAS stuff/TagesSetup.exe

There are 2 tages files. One for 32 bit windoze and one for 64 bit windoze.

Some people's machines or configurations make it unstable so difficult to play. It runs like a dream on mine with solid stability. I would recommend what Luke said and ensure you pull it out of whatever partition you have it in and plop it into a folder on the desktop and run it from there. Also make sure you don't install mods over mods. If you're gonna try a new one delete the game folder, duplicate again and plop the new mod on top. I am planning to hang the JS mod back up soon which was the first very basic mod version that fixed all the vanilla bugs and added some more characters and ships. With the FTP gone we are having to figure out other places to put stuff.

I've never heard of the books or heroes causing problems. The ships yes.

MK

Thanks for the responses, guys! Pieter, I did try that file, as well as GOF 1.1 and 1.2, all on clean installs. I wasn't able to try GOF 2 yet, since the main links seemed to have been broken till recently. Since they're working now, I'll give it a shot and report back. As opposed to a runtime error, however, the CM just plain doesn't start at all. Stops responding as soon as I try and load.

Yes, I made sure to update my tages drivers before I started the game.

The game doesn't start after installing any of the GOF mods?

That's a install issue for yourself, the easier way to do it (and saves all the reinstall process) is to install COAS vanilla (do not install or edit any files) now copy the age of pirates folder from the COAS directory and paste it onto the desktop. Now install GOF into this one, if it fails all you need to do is delete the following to folders and copy them from the default vanilla directory.
programs and INI (INI is located in the Resource folder). If you are not sure that the install is going as correctly, then extract the rare file or if your using the exe version of GOF, make a folder on the desktop and point the GOF installer to this new folder and let it install into there. Then copy all the files and folders from that once its finished installing and paste that over the top of your COAS files and folders. Say yes when asked to overwrite (if on windows vista, 7 or 8) check the box and then say yes, this will then repeat for all files and do the same for folders). Start the game, it should load up now with no problems.

If the game does load but it crashes a lot on you, then it could and most likely is a hardware problem for yourself because the game works fine, some bugs but as far as I have seen so far, GOF 2 is more stable than GOF 1.2. Sadly there isn't any community patches for the vanilla game, we was going to do one (or I was) but I never got around to it, I was to busy with the mod CM (later now known as GOF).
I will do the next best thing -- the same, essentially but not on the desktop. (I store game files on an 200GB external hard drive, and not the internal one on my computer (a gaming laptop). The latter only has about 20GB left of space out of a total of 80GB. The encryption on the external hard drive is NTFS, however, so I don't have any problems when it comes to file size, etc, like with FAT32.)

Shame the community patch didn't work out.

Is there a bottleneck on the external?

How's it connected?

That could be a problem right there. Laptops sometimes have issues with COAS. I've played it on several and only two didn't have lag issues. My ASUS 17 inch mega gaming laptop is the only one that plays it fluid. I still only play it on that when I travel.

MK

Back