• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Not a Bug Gun Does Not Reload With Blade Drawn

Levis

Find(Rum) = false;
Staff member
Administrator
Creative Support
Programmer
Storm Modder
So I was looking trough the code a bit and I believe I remembered in the past my gun recharge if I was not fighting but I did had my blade drawn.
It seems that now the gun only recharges when my blade is sheeted. This also is the case for NPC's. This effectively means that NPC's will only empty theire gun and then start hacking at you.

I would asume that when I try to flee from someone his normal approach would be to refill his gun and try to shoot me. He won't sheet his blade then now would he (altough I might add a sheeting option for NPC at one point in the future so they can outrun you :p ).

The "LAi_tmpl_player_IsFire" function in the different AI templates is only called if you can actually fire the gun (so when you aren't sword fighting) so adding a recharging function there should do the trick ... just wanted to know if there is a reason this isn't the case at the moment.

That is a realism setting. It is kinda hard to reload a gun with a sword in your hand.

If I try to flee from someone who is attacking me with a sword, the usual result is that I don't get very far before he hits me again, rather easily if I'm not trying to parry because I'm trying to run away. If I do manage to get out of hacking range, it seems more realistic that instead of stopping to reload his gun while I run out of sight, he'll chase after me and try to slice me again. Certainly if I'm the one doing the chasing and have already fired then I'll chase after him and try to chop him into pieces rather than wait to reload.

But if you want to be able to reload while fencing, you only need to edit "InternalSettings.h", look for "CANNOT_RELOAD_WHILE_FIGHTING", and set it to 0. (I've got at least one install version where it's set to 0 by default so you'll have been able to reload with a drawn weapon when you were playing that version. It's back to 1 by default now, which is why you can't do that any more.)

Indeed this is "Not a Bug", just a realism setting.

By the way, on the subject of escaping from swordfights, does anyone ever use the "Dodge [Z]" button?
That might give you enough room to turn and run without being hit.

By the way, on the subject of escaping from swordfights, does anyone ever use the "Dodge [Z]" button?

:yes

Have to press Z two or three times to get enough distance between me and the attackers to enable me to turn round and run - once you get a certain distance away from the attackers ( think 3rd or 4th press of Z ) - instead of walking towards you they will start to run, which causes them to close the gap faster than I can turn round. :duel:

You also have to know that you have space behind you ( backed into walls, rocks and other objects many times :facepalm)

:drunk

Indeed this is "Not a Bug", just a realism setting.

Talking about the dodge button.
Do you know a way to make a other character dodge?

Talking about the dodge button.
Do you know a way to make a other character dodge?
Had a quick look through the code for "Recoil", but couldn't find anything useful.
Maybe it is one of those "engine things". :facepalm

Had a quick look through the code for "Recoil", but couldn't find anything useful.
Maybe it is one of those "engine things". :facepalm
did that a while back already. Also looked for "dodge".
it does seem to be stored in the action of a character. So maybe it is possible to call it..
for now tought I haven't been able to make pchar do an animation for me :p.

Back