• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Gun fall out

jellysnail

Landlubber
I get the message gun fall out every so often, what does this mean? I notice some of my gun slots up the top go red. Is there a way I can fix the ship?

I get the message gun fall out every so often, what does this mean? I notice some of my gun slots up the top go red. Is there a way I can fix the ship?

Your cannons ( that are in red ) are broken ( probably got hit by another cannon ball or just overheated and blew ) and can only be replaced after your battle is completely over with. If you have purchased extra cannons of the same caliber ( or taken them from a captured ship your sinking or selling [ again same caliber as you cannons ] later at a port, then you can remove the blown cannon/cannons and replace them from the hold.
If you can afford to it is best to carry a couple extra cannons in the hold of the same caliber.
Otherwise you will have to do without those particular cannon/cannons until you either reach a shipyard ( course he may be out of stock...ya never know ) or capture a ship with your type cannons and take them. Look in your COAS manual page 27 ( bottom ), there is a pic you can study. Next page ( 28 ) you can read how to mount/dismount your ships cannons.

Now go capture some ships. :onya

The higher the calibure the longer the guns take to load, the more damage the cannons can take and the more damage the cannons will do to enemy ships and crew.

The higher your gunnery skill the less the longer the cannons will take to start falling out. If you have an officer with good gunnery skills ie better than yours skills then placing him in the role of gunner will improve the reload times, the better the aiming will be which means the more damage your will do to ships and crew and the longer it will take for guns to fall out. The better your crew at gunnery the quicker your guns will load, i don't know about aiming and if they effect how long the cannons will last for in battle but theyre skill might do that aswell.

from what I've noticed aiming has effect only if you "auto-aim" (not using first person mode in battle)...very very tedious at the beginning.

oh, and guns like to fall out if you take some serious damage to the hull, mostly when enemy ships use bombs

from what I've noticed aiming has effect only if you "auto-aim" (not using first person mode in battle)...very very tedious at the beginning.

oh, and guns like to fall out if you take some serious damage to the hull, mostly when enemy ships use bombs

Yeah I noticed the gun fall out message seems to come more frequently when I attack a fort.

Yeah I noticed the gun fall out message seems to come more frequently when I attack a fort.

If you want to avoid that, get yourself a ship with 42lb cannons, or even 32lb culverins (in vanilla). With either of those you should be able to bombard a fort from outside its firing range. If you're playing CMv3.1, same rule applies, except (obviously) you can use pretty much any size >32lb.

In some older post I read, that your guns do age. The more you use'em in battle with an inexperienced crew and gunnery officer, the faster they go kaputt. I think this is also written somewhere in the manual.

Now there is a trick. When not in battle, you can remove all guns, then install them immediately. This seems to reset aging. It worked for me, but feels like cheating :wp

LOL, yes you can can unmount and remount the guns which in turn seems to if by magic make the guns as if new. What should happen is when reparing the ship your guns are automatically repaired too, but that doesn't seem to happen. I tend to carry about 4 to 6 spare guns to replace any that fall out, this of course depends on how many of that calibure ships i attacxk have mounted or are carrying in there cargoholds (i use 22Ibs cannons). I have only ever come across 1 ship carrying a few 22Ibs cannons in there cargohold, most ships i find have culverines mounted which is something i use if i'm doing trade runs for myself or the store owner because i aviod battles then since i have 14Ibs culverines mounted on trade ships due to the extra weight of them which reduces the amount of cargo you can carry.

Back