• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Gun Fall Out

Captain Hog

Sailor Apprentice
Are there any plans (if its possible) to reduce Gun Fall Out rate in the next combined mod patch?

Atm I find it extremely annoying and happens WAY too often when my guns blow up from firing broadsides.

I can understand guns being knocked off during battle, but guns did not blow up as often as they do atm.

Thanks

Hog

Well you'll be happy to know that the guns hp's have been increased a little to reduce gun fall out, however having good skills in gunnery yourself will also reduce the time it takes for guns to fall out. Its a shame we can't get it as it was in real life where a single broadside could take out a large amount of the guns. That would add a much needed level of realism to the game and mean most people would aviod trying to attack enemies with larger ships. As it stands you can be in a Sloop and try to capture a Frigate, but work has been done in this area aswell to make that more challanging, however we can't increase the gun fall out rate from enemy fire at the moment. There will be some code some where that will effect this and when thats found then that can be changed and tested and hopefully in a patch one day we will see a much more realistic level to the guns.

For now though in the next patch guns will not fall out as easily. My advice is (if attacking a lot) mount the higherst calibure cannon (not culverine) they are weaker than cannons. The higher the calinbure the more damage they can withstand reducing gun fallout due to over heating.

While we are eagerly await the next patch for the CM (You guys have done a amazing job!), is their a file I can edit to change this to occur way less frequently?

Just started a new game with my sloop and attacked a french merchant ship and lost my entire starboard side of cannon from this "gun fall out." (Not from enemy fire)

Since cannon are expensive, this gets very annoying and frustrating. I can understand from a realistic stand point if I lost cannon to enemy fire but this ... :modding

Cheers! :cheers

Yes you can, when you have made the edits you first need to load your game (obviously) then unmount all guns on your ships and any companions you may have. Then use the reinit button to update the changes made, if any of the ships have the cannon bug where the cannons duplicate everytime you try to remove or fix them then that ships guns will not be updated and will need new guns buying for it/them.

Go into Program\CANNONS == Cannons_init and search for this line of code for each cannon/culverine type.

Code:
rCannon.hp = xx.x;

You will notice the guns hp increaes by 5 with the next calibure, you can have all guns with 100 hp if you want its up to you. The guns hp increases for added realism because a 8Ibs would be stronger (not by much) than a 4Ibs. If you do increase each hp level so that the higher calibure has +5 hp more than the calibure before it then be warned because forts guns ie 92Ibs cannons will end up been super hard to wipe out.

Thanks Luke! Came up with a good mathematical formula for both Cannon and Culverine also, realistic and much, much better! if anyone wants to take a look just ask.

Basically I changed both the damage ratios and hp's for cannon and culverine so it is much better :cheers

No problem bud. :onya

Go on then i'll take a look, alway's open to idea's and changes other's have made and if after testing it seems more realistic then i'll include it in CMV3.2. :dance

Thanks bud, i'll take a look at it tomorrow been a hectic day today. Just got back from the inlaws.

Mates i'm having the same problem, but after my guns fall out i cant repair it, the green bars get red forever, even if i repair the ship in the shipyard or if i buy new cannos, is there anyway i can fix it ?? i dont want to stock my black pearl because of this. Please guys help me out! Thanks!

Go into Program\Ships == Ships_init.C and look for the Black Pearl, there are 2 enteries for this ship each has its own model. There's The Black Pearl and Black Pearl its Black Pearl you need to edit. Once you have found Black Pearl scoll down a little so you can see the following. This will be different to what you see in your file because this is the fix for the ships cannon layout.

Code:
	refShip.CannonsQuantity		= 36;
refShip.rcannon 							= 16;
refShip.lcannon 							= 16;
refShip.fcannon 							= 2;
refShip.bcannon 							= 2;

Make the changes to show the same as above and then save and exit. Load your game and go into options, you will see a tab far bottom right corner, it will either have no text or read reinit. Press this tab to activate the changes, now your Black Pearl will not be updated to show the new cannon configuration so you can do either of the following options, sell the Black Pearl and then use the reinit again and purchase the ship back (this can be tricky because the shipyard can generate new ships when reinit it used and you could loose the Black Pearl) or you can wait till you see a new Black Pearl at sea or in a shipyard and buy/capture the new one.

We have already addressed this problem in CMV3.2 as you will find a few ships that have what we call the cannon duplication bug, to replace damaged cannons you can press F2, ship tab, then at the bottom where it tells you what calibure of cannons you have mounted and how many double click on it to. You can now add the new cannons or calibure. This doesn't fix the guns that have fallen out though so use the above advice to fix it for all time.

Hope this helps. :onya

Mates i'm having the same problem, but after my guns fall out i cant repair it, the green bars get red forever, even if i repair the ship in the shipyard or if i buy new cannos, is there anyway i can fix it ?? i dont want to stock my black pearl because of this. Please guys help me out! Thanks!

I can not remember if you can fix cannons by repairing in PotCB, I play AoP2:CoAS, if you are too you need can not repair destroyed guns. You will need to buy new guns to replace those destroyed in action, repairing at the shipyard only fixes hull and masts/sails. You also buy cannons at the shipyard, make sure they are the same cannons/culverines as the ones your ship is already using.

Back