• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Hearts of Oak: Soundtrack Friday #13 "Defeat and Triumph"

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
Another week, another Friday, another piece of music.
A BRAND NEW composer today:

Herbert Metz graces us with two pieces, one for the darkest of times and one for the brightest.

Make your own choice!
Will this be your lucky 13?

Awesome track.
What did I say about it possibly coming earlier this week just to mess with me?
I wonder if this is the reason why it came ALMOST in Friday. This one is the closest one to being on time recently.
Later today or tomorrow (most likely tomorrow, unless I manage to make the PA! Gif I made transparent quickly), I will make a new post for my story. Maybe I will even post it on a YouTube comment, too.

Last edited:
This is a new post, which means I have Managed to write my story! Everything is in the correct order, do not read it based of the track numbers that I have every paragraph. The story is quite long, so I have put it in a spoiler.
(Track number 8) You are in a heated battle, and your odds of beating it are almost none. The best you can do is to slow the enemies down and then try to escape, but the navigator had died a while earlier. You decide to grab the wheel yourself, hoping you can at least save some of your crew. The enemies fire their cannons, and then the ship starts to take in water. You order your crew to fire the cannons in an attempt to sink one of the enemy ships and manage to hit a gunpowder reserve, blowing the ship to smithereens. A little later, the enemy flagship fires her cannons again, now making the ship sink rapidly. As the ship is sinking, you know you will go down with it, and your life is flashing back on you.

(Track number 9) You order the crew to abandon ship, telling them that they will have a painful death if they do not go now, as the enemies you are fighting are not just normal pirates, they are some of the most furious pirates. The Nameless Pirates. They torture anyone who doesn’t agree to come with them. All of the crew has abandoned the ship, except one person, your first mate. He tells you that if you are to go down with the ship, he is going to do so as well. The pirate flagship fires one last salvo, this time filled with bombs, and you get blown into the sea.

(Track number 1) You wake up on a beach. Next to you is the only thing remaining of your ship. It is the helm, and it seems as a piece of it has broken off. As you slowly regain some of your strength, you get up and look for anything that could help, and find nothing. The beach that you had landed does seem familiar though; it has a lighthouse atop a hill, and it reminds you of the lighthouse bay on Barbados. For your sake, you wish you are correct with your assumption, as you know the island very well, and you have people that could help you. As you are trying to make your way to Spleightown, you encounter a bandit, and then you notice that you have lost your weapons.

(Track number 12) The bandit is going to kill you for sure if you do not do anything, so you throw a quick punch to the face and he drops his pistol, but by the time you manage to grab it, he has already managed to unsheathe his sword. You somehow manage to grab it off his hands, and then, you slash him into pieces. You seem to have gotten out of this one pretty easily, but you know it is not going to be like that all of the time. Before long, you have gotten into the harbor of the city.

(Track number 2) A person you know tends to spend their day on the docks. You find him, and tell him what happened. Then you ask him for help, and he gives you some decent equipment, as well as a Tartane. He tells you to go to Trinidad, which is where many of the Gall-Gaidhel (Which are NOT a tribe) in the Caribbean are settled.

(Track number 3) As you set off, you know you must not take any detours, as the waters in the route are filled with pirates, including the very ones that sent you on this journey. The voyage passes and nothing interesting happens. As you arrive at Trinidad, the people are greeting you like you are one of them, as a few years ago, you had helped them fend off some pirates around their homeland.

(Track number 10) When you step off the boat, they invite you to the tavern to sit and have a drink. A little after you sit in the tavern, they ask you why you came with a Tartane, and you explain the whole story to them. Without yourself asking, they tell you that they can give 2 ships. They may not be big, but they are well made, and crewed with some of the most experienced sailors in the whole Caribbean.

(Track number 3 again) You now set off with the two ships, with the goal of this journey being to capture some bigger ships, and then capture an originally Dutch city that had been captured by pirates back for the Dutch people. After a few days on sea, you fall into a storm.

(Track number 6) As the storm is at its most intense, you are securing everything, so there are as little casualties as possible, and then you stay on the deck, steering the ship so it is parallel to the waves as possible for as long as possible. A few hours pass, and the storms seem to have stopped and a pirate galleon seems to have appeared in the distance, so you start chasing it.

(Track number 7) You get close enough to the galleon, and then fire the first two salvos of grapeshot, one from each ship, on each side. As some of the crew is reloading the cannons, much of the rest of it is firing muskets. Your two ships fire again, and that seems to cause the captain to surrender. He joins your crew, and while walking on the newly captured ship, you see a familiar face among the crew. It is your first mate.

(Track number 4) With the newly captured ship and the other two, you now set off to San Juan, Puerto Rico, in order to get everything ready to retake Philisburg, Saint martin for the Dutch. Nothing interesting happens throughout the 3 week journey to San Juan, and you arrive safely, and get the ships repaired from the battle.

(Track number 5) You then head off to the tavern for a few nights, spend some time with your previously lost first mate. He tells you that he had somehow ended up on a pirate settlement that was on an unrecorded island. He said he heard some people calling it Isla de Muerta. You tell him about the legends of that island, and the fact that only one person knows the exact position of that island, and it was the captain of your ship. The captain of the ship had drowned himself intentionally the night after we captured the ship, so the island is basically unreachable now.

(Track number 11) A couple days later, you have approached the fort with a pirate flag raised in order not to be attacked, and then you fire bombs at the fort. The first salvo managed to destroy 10 cannons. There were only about 35 cannons at the time, because the pirates had only just captured the place less than a month ago. A few salvos later, all of the cannons had been disabled, and then, you and your crew go on land to take care of pirates guarding the city. In the next day, the city had been cleared of pirates, and because that had been organized with the Dutch, they had already come onto the city.

(Track number 13) Now that you have helped the Dutch in such a big way, you ask them for some help in order to take down the Nameless Pirates, and they send a Frigate, and you thank them, just before you leave.

(Track number 7 again) About a month has passed, and you have found the fleet of the Nameless Pirates, and a huge battle ensues. You shoot chainballs in order to stop the flagship, and succeed. Then you sink the other, smaller ships. Once you were done with the smaller ships, the attention switched to the flagship, firing salvo after salvo of grapeshot. Then, you board them. You and your crew manage to kill every crew member on the ship. After that, you go into the captains cabin, and he said that he shall go with us.

(Track number 13) Some say that this is the reason The Nameless Pirate is with us now, and why he is even called a pirate. Between saving a whole different world from the dark forces of evil and today, he was a furious pirate, but now, he is a good man.
It has all of the tracks "used" at least once.
If anyone is wondering by the way, my favourite track is number 7.

Last edited:
Awesome track.
What did I say about it possibly coming earlier this week just to mess with me?
I wonder if this is the reason why it came ALMOST in Friday. This one is the closest one to being on time recently.
So you are complaining that it was basically on time? Now that's not something I expected.

Anyway, no one is forcing you to post quickly. Take your time and post when you feel ready.

So you are complaining that it was basically on time? Now that's not something I expected.
No I am not complaining. I did predict that it would come earlier for one reason or another though. It is ODDLY close to being on time, so that is why I am suspicious it may have been to mess with me. (As well as the fact that I had mentioned that it would probably come early just to mess with me.)
To further show that I am not complaining, if I could, I would happily make the post myself every Friday.
I am not actually annoyed, but I am "surprised", because I knew that if it were to happen one time, it would be this one.

Last edited:
Back