• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Spoiler Hearts of Oak: Storyline First Act Summary

Luke McReady

Freebooter
Coordinator
Creative Support
Quest Writer
QC Advisor
Logo_new3_half_300px.png
After many months of deliberation and progress, the Hearts of Oak writing team is proud to reveal Act I of our very first storyline!

Hildegarde Von Hamburg is a Prussian privateer who joined the English to help combat the Catholic French after her husband was killed in the Battle of Stamford Bridge. She sails on his 20-gun ship Das Konig with a crew of Swedes. They sail through many adventures, faithfully aiding England in their fight against the French, but after burning Havana to the ground because of miscommunication with command, she is branded a pirate. She must clear her good name by building a new ship for the English Navy without attracting the attention of a local voodoo coven. But when her first mate is captured by the priestesses, she is forced to face a difficult choice... Join them, or become the very thing she is fighting against.

And that's the end of Act I...

Let me tell y'all something. It took ages to get this far, and we had some rough waters to sail through those first couple of months since I took the position as lead-writer and organised the team from scratch. Thanks to our dedicated creative literary minds, and dare I say "Quality" QC-Advisment from our own Post Captain, we have found something wonderful. If you want to know more, Play HoO's debut storyline "Fatherland's Princess" to find out the rest.

Yours truly, Luke McReady, and the Hearts of Oak Writing Team.

EDIT:APRIL FOOLS :rofl

Last edited:
Magnificent! Love what you've been doing on the storyline behind my back, although I wish we could've kept the Viking runes. Still, this is going to be the definition of sheer awesome. Well done, guys.

I couldn't Have my Kraken, you can't have the Runes. Stop whining already :razz

We had to eliminate the runes because there was no historical evidence that the Vikings ever reached the Caribs. As you know, historical accuracy is our greatest priority.

I couldn't Have my Kraken, you can't have the Runes. Stop whining already :razz

Oh, all right. I just wish we could have them both... maybe in Act II? There's still space for more additions there, right?

Re: PC: Oh! I see. Apologies, then. I was convinced I'd read somewhere that Leif Erikson had made it there, but perhaps my source was inaccurate.

Oh, all right. I just wish we could have them both... maybe in Act II? There's still space for more additions there, right?

Act II? Where have you been we're wrapping up Act VI (The last one.)o_O

We had to eliminate the runes because there was no historical evidence that the Vikings ever reached the Caribs. As you know, historical accuracy is our greatest priority.

As always, a stalwart defender of realism over all else PC.

Personally, I'd advise against using the kraken in the story. The consensus was that we'd only include slight fantasy elements.

Personally, I'd advise against using the kraken in the story. The consensus was that we'd only include slight fantasy elements.
In that case.... how about half a Kraken? You can choose whether you want the "Kra" or the "ken".

You guys almost managed to convince me that you'd changed the entire storyline. Almost. :razz

Just a thing, i know that you've been working with the Act I for a month, but... fixed character? not "your own adventure" game?
i'm kinda dissapointed with that :/

Hahah, barring the anachronic battle reference and some other details, I loved the story's general concept.

Just a thing, i know that you've been working with the Act I for a month, but... fixed character? not "your own adventure" game?
i'm kinda dissapointed with that :/

The game will only have a storymode with one single story and one single path. If you try to do something outside the story, like for example sailing to Curação when the story has specifically told you to go to Cuba, you'll find sea monsters and storms preventing you from doing so. Also, if you stay idle for a while, your character will begin to play through the story by himself. The more this happens, the more difficult it will be for you to regain command of the character.

Not to mention the only way to get from town to town on an island is to take a horse drawn carriage. Where upon you have a 67.964376223% chance to be attacked. You then have to swordfight with the attackers on the roof of the carriage. This of course is a REALLY fast prescripted QuickTime event where you have to click a sequence of keys at random to see the exact same animation play out. Every time.

Apropos of which: how are the modellers doing? Is that crossbow ready yet? We need it for our next trailer, right, PC already showed us the reference video even.

Yeah I cannot wait for that crossbow scene. Hover Orca hunting will never be so fun!

Back