• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Hellenic Flag mod (POTC)

The Nameless Pirate

Just a pirate
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Public Relations
This mod adds the Hellenic flag (flag of Greece) into POTC under the personal flags.
Just paste the RESOURCE folder in your POTC installation folder, clicking yes when asked to overwrite.
Also thanks to @Grey Roger for his help in improving the textures.

Before his help:
h_flag.png

After his help:
flag.png

Have Fun!!! :cheers

Edit: The flag is included in the build now.

Last edited:
Yes, there are still a few slots free and @The Nameless Pirate has indeed put his flag onto one of them. A couple of notes, though:

This flag is only accurate from when Greece became independent of the Ottoman Empire, which would be right at the end of our "Napoleonic" period. According to Flags of the World, before that, Greek merchant ships were allowed by the Treaty of Kioutsouk Kainartzi to use the Russian naval ensign, which is already one of our Personal flags - the blue saltire on the white background. So if you're playing in "Colonial Powers" or "Revolutions" periods, that would be the more accurate flag to use.

The screenshot shows a triple-tailed pennant. The only pennant pictures I can find, again on Flags of the World, are for naval ranks. You have a choice of single tail or twin tail pennants - basically anything except the triple tail. ;) It's easy enough to set the shape of the pennant using the alpha channel. If you don't have a program capable of editing the alpha channel, tell me which shape you'd prefer and I can do it.

I know that it may not be historically accurate but since it is a personal flag you will only see it if you chose so. ;)
Also about the shape, i had thought of this possibility but i wasn't sure.
I will update the files soon. :doff

Last edited:
Got them. They will indeed go into the next update.

Out of interest, why do you want the Greek flag added? Are you Greek yourself, perhaps? Or have you anything in mind for a Greek character? None of this will affect whether the flag is going in, I'm just curious. (Several other flags are associated with specific characters, either in storylines or for FreePlay.)

Here's the flag in my game:
greek_flag1.jpg

There's a slight problem with the pennant texture. Both the flag and pennant textures are 256x128, so length is 2x height. For flags, that's fine; in the game, flags are usually somewhere around 2:1, exact size determined by the mast. Pennants tend to be longer, at least 4:1. On more recent models, or older models which have been overhauled, pennants are liable to be between 10:1 and 15:1. This means the pennant texture is stretched. You might have noticed when editing "perflg7.tga" and "perpnt7.tga" that emblems on the pennant textures are squashed, and that's why. It's also why, in my screenshot, the vertical arm of the cross is a lot thicker than the horizontal arm. I'll see if I can make a corrected version to work better with long pennants.

Incidentally, one of the Personal flags already in the game is this:
sicily_flag_orig2.jpg

That's a flag of the Kingdom of Sicily, but it's a flag used by ships up until the 1440's. The Sicilian flag used more generally, and in use until 1816, looked more like this:
sicily_flag_new2.jpg
The eagles are now in the left and right quarters, and vertical rather than horizontal stripes are now in the upper and lower quarters. (And that schooner is in need of a bit more rigging...)

Try these - just copy the files into "RESOURCE\Textures\flags". I haven't changed either of the interface pictures.

Both the flag and the pennant are a bit lighter and less saturated, making them look a little faded in common with other flags in the game. Flags look a little dark even in full sunlight, as you can see from the screenshots in both posts #1 and #10, so that should compensate.

Attachments

• Hellenic_Flag.zip
    635.1 KB · Views: 176
It's your flag, so that's your choice. Do you want to make new interface textures? ;)

Then i will make new interface textures.
I will upload them tomorrow or maybe earlier.

I have uploaded the new files. :aar
I would also like to receive feedback, thanks.

Last edited:
Here's the flag in my game:
View attachment 33329

There's a slight problem with the pennant texture. Both the flag and pennant textures are 256x128, so length is 2x height. For flags, that's fine; in the game, flags are usually somewhere around 2:1, exact size determined by the mast. Pennants tend to be longer, at least 4:1. On more recent models, or older models which have been overhauled, pennants are liable to be between 10:1 and 15:1. This means the pennant texture is stretched. You might have noticed when editing "perflg7.tga" and "perpnt7.tga" that emblems on the pennant textures are squashed, and that's why. It's also why, in my screenshot, the vertical arm of the cross is a lot thicker than the horizontal arm. I'll see if I can make a corrected version to work better with long pennants.

View attachment 33330

That's a flag of the Kingdom of Sicily, but it's a flag used by ships up until the 1440's. The Sicilian flag used more generally, and in use until 1816, looked more like this:
View attachment 33331
The eagles are now in the left and right quarters, and vertical rather than horizontal stripes are now in the upper and lower quarters. (And that schooner is in need of a bit more rigging...)
where would i be able to get the more common Sicilian Flag.

Nice flag by the way. ;)

Edit: Also is there anything else that could be improved or is the Greek flag ready for the update?

Last edited:
Back