• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

[HELP] How do I remove the ammunition Bombs?

pgargon

Freebooter
Storm Modder
Storm Modeller
I would like to remove the ammunition Bombs. What should I change everything? 1665 Bombs were not really common but it was shot with iron balls. By the way is thus the actual ship combat longer.
I would like to adjust the caliber of the guns over to the then reality. So start with the 4 lbs and
The 42 lbs just for the really big ships and forts. Thank you. :sail

There is really no such thing as bombs in that time period, that is true.

However, I believe they were included to somewhat mimic "double-shot"; that is firing two projectiles rather than one in a single shot.

I don't think the AI uses bombs though they may carry the ammo. I know that was the case back in the Sea Dogs days, and now that I think of it, I haven't seen a ship with bombs loaded in COAS either that I can remember.

If that's the case, just stop using them yourself and they'll be out of the game for all intents and purposes.

The Ai do use the bombs, i've had several situations where they fired broadsides at me using the bombs which demasted me and killed a fair few of my crew to go with it. You could alway's reduce the damage the bombs do which might help you out, but the bombs as they stand damage everything, i think they have a hit ratio of about 2 on masts which is 1 less than chainshots and 2 on crew which is also 1 less than grapeshots, but they are the best for damaging the hull so they are i think a 3 or 4 there while the round shot is i think 1 point behind so either 2 or 3. If you can get the 4 pounders and other calibure cannons into the game let me know how you did it because its something i've been looking into aswell. If you look in cannon.int file located in programs, cannons you will see there are already other calibure of cannons but as to why they are not in the main game is somethig that makes me think they was removed due to not having enough time to add them, it would have been nice if they made a patch that added some new features they wanted to add but couldn't at the time like East India Company and other games are doing now.

It works! Now I just need to remove even the bombs.

Cannons_01.jpg

Okay I now have 4 lbs, 9 lbs and 18 lbs-cannon / culverin inserted.
The bombs can not be removed (unfortunately already broken program at startup). The bombs had reduced the values, so that they are now only slightly better than the iron balls. Believe that I can live well. ;)

Thanks for this thread, i was going to ask about the same. Bombs are not historical until XIX at all and break the equilibrium and interest in battle if used by both player or AI.

I think were introduced to make easir attack the forts, but...make the rest of ammos near useless.

Thanks!

Back