• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

[HELP] How to get point of sail upgrade in GOF 1.1.1

You know what is bothering me still, that ships can turn in circles on there keel with no wind or sails. I hate the circle turning that some ships do in order to get off both broadsides at you wile doing spin attacks that are not possible for sailing ships.
dunno.gif

Yea, what about modding a new sailing mode into the game where your crew will use long paddles from the bottom of the ship? So you have to decide to either use sails or paddles depending on the situation.

Should be a lot of fun work to do. :cheeky

You know what is bothering me still, that ships can turn in circles on there keel with no wind or sails. I hate the circle turning that some ships do in order to get off both broadsides at you wile doing spin attacks that are not possible for sailing ships.
dunno.gif

EdMaroon is (or was) working on it.

dunno.gif

Well I do hope that it is an option we can switch on and off. It would be nice to see a "Sail Damage Effect Turn Speed" option also.

dunno.gif

I made a simple change to get turning dependent on speed. That do the trick of making turning harder with sail damage. From what i read, in that age they used to arrange a custom sail or even to tow by boat to help turning so they never got completly stuck when sails were destroyed, but in a combat situation that would be hard to do. By the way this battle was very interesting and with lots of weird situations Grand Port

Then i was researching the best range values for speed and turning when i found the POTC build mod, and basically all i was doing is already done in that mod, and probably by much better thinkers than myself. So i get a bit disappointed because i should understand the POTC build code and then port it to COAS, but i'd rather write a new game than messing with two modded games with no information about changes made and original logics involved. For example, wind speed isn't measured in knots, that's why sometimes ships seem to sail faster than wind. I read in some post, i forgot where it was.

The point of sail is badly simulated in this game, and once more i think it's already solved in POTC build mod. The people who made that mod could do the same in COAS, or they could do a new clean simulation if they wanted to.

Yes, I saw this last night after I upgraded the version of the "Sea Wolf" I have under moor at Port Royale.
I somewhat broke my bubble of virtual reality on the sailing model......
With a a wind speed of 13.5 nautical knots (or whatever the number really means), I was going like 18+ knots.
That was considering a fully unloaded ship, with max crew and no cannons to reduce weight.

"Nigh uncatchable...yeah ok, its a bit supernatural."

Back