• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help [HELP] How to recruit the playable Captains?

Vidar

Landlubber
I just installed the GOFv1.1 and saw some of the playable captains in taverns (Peter Blood, etc.).
Are they recruitable as officers? what are the requirement stats or quests to recruit them?
I sometimes encounter one of them at lvl1 right after the intro.. so is it possible to tweak my stats
in such a way that would allow me to recruit them right off the bat?

I used to be able to recruit captains back in vanilla when I got a higher level,
but I'm not really sure if it's authority, or leadership, or reputation, or luck. that made the attempts successful.

Also, starting out using the pirate nation bugs the game and won't allow you to leave the ship after the intro,
and there's also some ships that are floating below the waterline. is there a new patch that fixes this?

Anyway, other than that, awesome mod guys.

nvm. I just savescummed(?) until they eventually agreed on a price.

how do I delete this thread?

GOF 1.1.2 have alot of patches and a big deal of new functionality, but the graphics glitches are still there. Graphics are going to be corrected only in the incoming GOF 1.2.

As for the thread, no: there is no way to delete it. Let it die of ageing.

Cheers.
buho (A).

As a caveat to the future of this thread, the way that GoF handles recruiting named NPCs late in the game is interesting.
Once you become a seasoned captain, named NPCs begin to "disappear" from the game. I do not know if this is intentional or not.
At this point, I am level 40, and NO named NPCs show up in taverns, only generic officers.
This could be having an effect on quests such as the Enchanted City.
I was however able to recruit John Workman has an officer in COAS.

Interesting observation. I have only made it to that level a couple of times. I am always changing the game so much and adding new things that I generally start a new game before I can make it to level 30. Indeed this is a problem that a lot of us modders have. Now that you mention it I think I did notice there were fewer NPC heroes last time. I am at level 23 this game and plan on taking it to level 40. I will make a special effort to observe this now that you've mentioned it.

I would also ask that you please help us with bug tracking now that you are above level 40 if you run into any problems. Our mod testing is very lacking with regards to bugs revealed above level 30. Thanks for bringing this up mate! :onya

MK

As a caveat to the future of this thread, the way that GoF handles recruiting named NPCs late in the game is interesting.
Once you become a seasoned captain, named NPCs begin to "disappear" from the game. I do not know if this is intentional or not.
At this point, I am level 40, and NO named NPCs show up in taverns, only generic officers.
This could be having an effect on quests such as the Enchanted City.
I was however able to recruit John Workman has an officer in COAS.

A workaround is to recruit as many playable NPCs as possible before you reach higher lvls, actually before starting anything important. Save, save, save that is the general rule, and btw before entering a tavern make a save to see if playable npcs are there take the load at least 5-6 times. After you have found as many as you like and the ones you like you can start your journey (trade, questing and so on). You can make a life until then by capturing pirate vessels along the way, strip them apart and sell them in your destination city. Another thing you must have an empty slot in your fleet if you want to recruit that kind of npcs. Good luck! Hope this helps.

MK,

I will do that, as I still have a few quests to finish, or even start.
I partially mispoke about name NPCs. I did actually find a few in some of the more obscure ports, but at this point no one approaches me anymore and they refuse any offer to join me for missions.
They seem to be placed at random at the start of a new game.
I did recruit a number of them at the beginning which almost certainly is having a effect.
However, with leadership nearly at 100 and my companion list NOT full, It would have been nice to recruit a few more.
My guess is it is tied the the maximum level of the named NPCs.

One impact of high level characters....
I can tell you the last time I tried to complete the Inca Temple subquest of the Ascold quest, it is becoming impossible at Level 42.
The enemy are so overly powerful as they level up with me simultaneously, I cannot kill them quick enough even with high level companions.
If think it was bad when you were at level 20+ this is nearly in the realm of insanity.

By the way, I really enjoy your music mod as a supplement to my own.

v/r

The_Black_Knight

I didnt start any major quests just because I want all my companions first. I only need Jack now. As for the major quests...I did them all in vanilla I am actually trying to find the perfect settings and learn about GoF and his impact on the game (bugs and all). Lvl your companions, take them in the jungle give them good swords, pistols and potions (especially wine and rum). When you meet a companion in the tavern save before speaking to him and ask if he wants to join you, take the load until he does. I got lucky and almost all the companions I liked are good guys so its kind of hard for me to start over (I play Peter Blood only so...). Here are some settings to make your game more enjoyable:

- Modify "Lai_boarding in the folder "loc_ai" in Program

if (mcrew > 2.5 * ecrew)
{
return true; // Yay! Surrender!
}
return false; // íå ñäàëñÿ

With this settings enemy's will surrender. The "2.5" will make it that they will not surrender so easy.

- Enable Retroactive Perks in GoF mod (the settings is in game) this will help you and the companions when taking perks like Dynamo and Tree of Life.

Back