• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

[HELP] Intimidation vs Duty

Torres

Landlubber
I'm actually running the latest GoF version, enjoying the game as much as I can since this mod is great but...

I was wondering if the problem Im about to describe is related to the mod, related to the vanilla game or related to INSANE DEDICATION OF THE ENEMY !! hahaha

Im using a Heavy Battle Frigate (TOTALLY UPGRADED) a 3 stars ship with lots of heavy cannons, fast, maneueverable and strong and I wonder, why do every single captain chases me ??

Im actually being harassed continously by low level ships. I could understand thata 1 2 3 or 4 stars shups would chase me !! but, 5 6 and on?

If it helps, Im inclined to think that is due to my leadership ( 44 ), Im also playing as PIRATE nation, and Im paying to keep nations neutral to me.
So even when sailing with a fake flag on the mast, low level pirates chases me, which means entering the battle, firing 2 times and sinking the poor sloop/schooner/brig guy.

What's the point in this absolute devotion to chase me no matter what? Isnt any file edit or patch that I can apply to make the machine "aware" of that?

and as always, thanks in advance and absolute great mod again.

Yes it is just that way, even if you are a big shark in the water the tiny fish try to give you a broadside.... or someting like that *hehe*.

It is however not absolutely out of place since the usual pirate didn't have the rescources to own a big ship only few have that so mostly you discover pirates with low rate attacking you no matter if you are way above their strength. This can be annoying of course.

Check this thread if you want to know more and a way to maybe get rid of it chasers.

Be advised that the attached file at my post #7 in that thread is outdated I guess, so best check the values yourself in the files and adjust them to your liking.

Thanks for the answer Joe Dagger

I just wanted to know if it happened to EVERYBODY, as you said is quite annoying.

Thanks for the redirection to the post, I'll do my best since this is not my native tongue.

PS.- I found in some VERY RARE OCASSIONS small fleets of well organised pirates vessels with good quality ships, those guys usually gives me a hard time. (that I understand, 3 or 4 quality vs 1 alone guy) and in the global map the sprites of the ships Im talking about are represented as corvettes? or frigates? (giving you the hint that they are going to deliver a serious fight if you choose to fight)

QUICK EDIT.- Is this GoF 1.1.2 compatible? Im asking because I already ticked the box of less encounters. Does your patch means that there will be EVEN less encounters?
Thanks in advance again

QUICK EDIT.- Is this GoF 1.1.2 compatible? Im asking because I already ticked the box of less encounters. Does your patch means that there will be EVEN less encounters?
Thanks in advance again
No it's not compatible, you can just look at the file and compare the changes to the one in v1.1.2. I think you only might want to adjust the following values:

Just look for the file named worldmap_encgen.c and change the following entry:

from
#define WDM_FOLLOW_RATE 0.015

to
#define WDM_FOLLOW_RATE 0.005

this should help with the pirates chase you, infact it's not proven but I think the pirates are less following your vessel eventhough they are still attacking it's just not that often compared to the regular low encounter setting. Some more feedbak is requred to assure that. Personally I think this change make a difference.

Important
Do not use the attachment for play as I mentioned just adjust the value yourself and make a backup of that file first just in case.

On a sidenote this change might only take effect if you start a new game, unsure about that since many changes only take full effect if you start all over with a fresh career.

If you change that file in your career it should be okay but it's uncertain if it works or if something unforseeable will happen since the game sometimes gets unstable by changes you make while an active career is playing. So be a little carefull I do not want that you have problems after the change it's just hard to tell since the game sometimes reacts in an unforseeable manner.

It's best you change that file only before you start a new career.

Back