• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

[HELP] Mummies and powder or the elusive powder...

Navegador

Sailor Apprentice
Hello everyone,

Got a bit stuck in a new quest, well new to me, never dune the Ascold quest.

Anyway very late in the game (Gentlemen of Fortune) I decided to start this quest and got it from Joao (João, probably portuguese jew) the store merchant in Coracao and went about talking with every street merchant I could find. A few months later ( 5 or 6 months later) they all point out the Holy inquisition and sell no powder. I've traveled around the archipelago and have docked at every port with street merchants but still no luck.
I've also read the walkthrough from Skodarap's and have gone back to merchant João and insisted with the street merchants again with no luck, they keep fearing the inquisition.

As I am very late in the game I'm fearing the quest is broken somehow or I'm missing some detail. I've started the Austin quest too but was to late as I ignored 2 assasins and the quest got broken.

Do you guys have any suggestions, tips or otherwise?

PS - You guys hit the nail on the head with the voices in battle mod, hearing the "Master" shout gun commands is veryyyy inspiring. :will

Instead of going to lots of different street merchants in different towns - go to the street merchants in one town - ask them all - then go to tavern & stay the night - then go back and ask all the street merchants again - if it does not work go back to tavern and stay another night then talk to all the street merchants again and see if that works.

Repeat this 2 or 3 times in the same town and hopefully one of the merchants should give you the powder.

:doff

Thanks for the tip

I tried the town approach, staing for 16 days in the same town, still no luck, they don't even mention having the merchandise.
Thied church merchants too, but can't ask them anything just trade, tried talking with the priest with no result.
Judging from the walkthrough from Skodarap's I'm taking all the correct steps but something feels missing.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the tip

I tried the town approach, staing for 16 days in the same town, still no luck, they don't even mention having the merchandise.
Thied church merchants too, but can't ask them anything just trade, tried talking with the priest with no result.
Judging from the walkthrough from Skodarap's I'm taking all the correct steps but something feels missing.

Thanks again.
hallo I think you find the powder in the way talisman described, but probably you have to ask for the powder in ten different cities first, or something like that, or you can find it this way after a couple of month, you have to be patient in that quest, do another one, keep asking, and finaly you'll get the powder by staying overnight and ask again in the morning :woot

I'm still trying this quest, I did recently the COAS quest and I'm still asking around, but there's something strange, there's 3 differente questions you can ask and the question mentioned on the walkthrough from Skodarap's dosen't appear.

The question mentioned in the walkthrough is - do you have mummy powder ?, and I never see this question line, thats why I find it a bit strange, but will keep at it.

Thanks for the tip :onya

I'm with navegador, I read one post somewhere that said it was in Panama, and after two weeks of asking all the merchants and staying in the tavern I just unsheathed my sword, shot all the merchants, and left. I am still trying everywhere and have not found it.

oh look, a drunk smiley face :beer

I read it was Curacao, even tried in my two colonies, but even there the merchants fear the inquisition all the time.

Almost when violent once in one of my colonies, was pretty fed up, if I stop any person on the street they would recognised me the city chief but the bloody merchants couldn't drop a bit a powder. :whipa

I'm still trying this quest, I did recently the COAS quest and I'm still asking around, but there's something strange, there's 3 differente questions you can ask and the question mentioned on the walkthrough from Skodarap's dosen't appear.

The question mentioned in the walkthrough is - do you have mummy powder ?, and I never see this question line, thats why I find it a bit strange, but will keep at it.

Thanks for the tip :onya

When you talk to the street traders you should see one of the following in the dialog box ---

"You wouldn't, perchance, have come across any mummy powder?",

"Do you sell mummy powder?",

"Listen, do you know where I can get mummy powder?",

There are lots of different replys - basically saying No go away.

Eventually a trader will say one of the following:-

"You're certainly persistent. I guess you're really desperate for that powder.",
"That I am, that I am. So I ask you again: do you have it? Don't be scared; just be straight with me. This stays between us.",

"Oh God... All right, I'll serve you, so long as you leave off with all your queer business. I just run a shop here.",

"Oh, it's you again... Well, so long as you're not here about that horrible corpse business, I suppose one customer is as good as the next...",

"I have it, though it's not for anyone's eyes or pocket, as I'm sure you understand. I am, however, willing to part with it. One thousand coins, and it's yours.",

If you don't get the question to ask the trader about the Mummy Powder then - the quest is probably broken

:shrug

Aaah okay,

I though that the question had to be precicly "do you have mummy powder ?".

So the 3 questions you mention I do get and thats the ones I've been asking, but so far no result, still from what you say the quest is not broken, I'll just need to get the right answer.

Thanks for explanation :onya

You have to talk to one of the item traders at a certain random colony a few times about it.

If you really get sick of asking every item trader at every city, you can cheat and put:
Log_SetStringToLog("ascold colony:" + pchar.questTemp.Ascold.MerchantColony);
in console.c and then push F4 to get it to show which colony you need.

You have to talk to one of the item traders at a certain random colony a few times about it.

If you really get sick of asking every item trader at every city, you can cheat and put:

Jonathan

thanks for the tip, I gave it a try but when I press F4 nothing happens. I went to program console and hoppened with wordpad, I'm missing something?

Again thank you

Ten billion burning barnacles! I have tried all the traders in every town I go to and still no powder!

Try what Jonathan Aldridge mentioned, change the log in console c in the folder program, make before hand a copy of course of the original console c, then go in game and press F4 and you'll get a notice on the right high corner of the screen with something like "ascold, colony cumana" and thats where you'll find a street merchant that will sell you the powder, go there and ask 4 times all of the merchants, sleep in the tavern and go back again, in the second day one of them will be more friendly and sell the powder.

After you do the F4 thing, go back to your game folder and replace the changed console c with the original copy you made before hand.

Note, the ascold quest has some strange bugs as well as the austin quest.

Best of luck, if something cames up just ask here. :cheers

Do cheats need to be enabled to do this?

No. Put the code in "console.c" and hit F4. If nothing appears in the game screen, check your spelling.

Cheers.
buho (A).

No. Put the code in "console.c" and hit F4. If nothing appears in the game screen, check your spelling.

Cheers.
buho (A).

Got it. I don't like to use cheats until I have played the game through at least a couple of times, so they aren't enabled. I know you have to start a new game once you enable cheats and i really didn't want to do that.

Also, I don't think of this as too much of a cheat, as "random town for mummy powder" is just a painfully tedious time sink that I believe was a poor design decision by the devs.

[...]
Also, I don't think of this as too much of a cheat, as "random town for mummy powder" is just a painfully tedious time sink that I believe was a poor design decision by the devs.

I think that at some point in the future I'll rework the quest to have the merchants giving the players some clues. But ATM I'm devoted to interface rework; I feel the interface unfriendliness most disturbing than the quests annoyances.

Personal tastes, ofc. I prefer open games and I can live without quests at all. But the awkwardness of the interfaces I can't arse.

Cheers.
buho (A).

Back