• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Hi there!

GeorgeStorm

Powder Monkey
As above basically, I'm a new member here, used to read the main site quite a bit, although haven't in a while.

Suddenly remembered about it today and thought I'd see what's happening in the world of pirate games, and saw loads of new stuff which really brought back some good memories of AoP 1 and 2 and POTC :D

Thought I'd buy AoP 2 since I never had it, but couldn't really find it, where do you people buy your pirate games?

Also I'm very excited about this new Pirates Odessey English translation, as far as I can understand it's a super mod for COAS? So much that it's a whole new game, but based off the same engine etc?

I'm not currently playing any pirate game, but today has definitely meant once my exams over I'll be starting one, just not sure which....

Hi and welcome...

The games can be found generally at the big online places. I just checked ebay and Amazon then and found PotC and CoAS both available for purchase ;)

Forgot to mention I'm in the UK.

Already own PotC, and have found CoAS, but not at a price I'd expect for a game that old is all :p (gamersgate have it for £20 for example).
Quick look on ebay only gives me international sellers :(

ah yes, I'm Australian and I think I got mine from America, but I did get it when it first came out and can't remember if it was the case.

I always hesitate with American games as well cause of the different area coding but I think PC games that may not matter

Welcome to the forum, mate! I hope you'll have a good time here.

So which of the games are you actually playing at the moment? We've been making some more progress on PotC again, for one thing! :cheeky

Pirates Odessey is technically a new game, but obviously based on CoAS, AoP and probably a bit on PotC as well.

ah yes, I'm Australian and I think I got mine from America, but I did get it when it first came out and can't remember if it was the case.

I always hesitate with American games as well cause of the different area coding but I think PC games that may not matter

It's not that, I'd just rather buy something (relatively) locally, less worry of it not arriving etc.

Welcome to the forum, mate! I hope you'll have a good time here.

So which of the games are you actually playing at the moment? We've been making some more progress on PotC again, for one thing! :cheeky

Pirates Odessey is technically a new game, but obviously based on CoAS, AoP and probably a bit on PotC as well.

Nice to be here :)
None of them at the moment, exams and coursework deadlines are stopping me playing much of anything really.

Haven't played any of them for a while though, so just need to work out which I want to dive head first into after exams :D

Right had my last exam yesterday, and should be finished completely work wise this week.

So the question remains, which game should I start :D
I think it's between PotC with New Horizons, or CoAS with GoF or something similar.

PotC: New Horizons of course! We're still actively working on that, so if you run into any issues, we can hopefully sort them out.
Not to mention we managed to get a bunch of long-standing issues fixed a few days ago, so things are much better that before. And they already WERE pretty darn good. ;)

The CoAS modders haven't been seen much these past few weeks, so if you have issues with that, there's nothing much we can do right now.

PotC: New Horizons of course! We're still actively working on that, so if you run into any issues, we can hopefully sort them out.
Not to mention we managed to get a bunch of long-standing issues fixed a few days ago, so things are much better that before. And they already WERE pretty darn good. ;)

The CoAS modders haven't been seen much these past few weeks, so if you have issues with that, there's nothing much we can do right now.

Well you've convinced me, got home yesterday and have just installed PotC, and am currently installing the 2.1 beta, which will be followed by the 2.3, and maybe the newest as well :)

Have fun! :onya

Just tried playing with the latest beta, started at woodes rogers, and it seemed pretty glitchy/broken :( (posted in the thread about the beta)

So just going to go back to 2.3 since I'd just like to play it now :)

Also is there a way to edit an ini file or something to get a higher res? Or will everything look broken etc?

Edit engine.ini to set whatever resolution you want. Recommend switching fullscreen to 0.
I've been happily running the game in 1600x900 resolution.

For the Woodes Rogers storyline, what you describe sounds like normal behaviour. You can't sidestep while you're in "cutscene mode".
And the teleportation is part of the storyline; that is the only way that works to simulate pushing that tree. Unfortunately a location reload is required for that.
It is a bit oddish perhaps, but it is the best that can be done to illustrate those story points within the game engine limitations.
And when you cannot move, the story does continue. You're just left standing for a short while, looking at your pirate "friends" sailing off.

The Woodes Rogers storyline is rather different from the others, because it is more puzzle-style gameplay and less free play pirating.
However, it plays through quite fine. At least the parts that I got to. Other people have successfully completed it too.
You might want to have a look at the walkthrough: http://www.piratesahoy.net/wiki/woodes-rogers/

The Beta 2.5 WIP should be better than 2.3 in pretty much every way that actually matters.
The Woodes Rogers storyline works the same in both versions, so it makes no difference to return to the earlier release. :shrug

Yeah, I ended up realising that it was just like changing areas in the original, just without some of the loading screens etc.
The sidestepping thing still seemed odd to me, since you could sidestep through any object? (for instance I started the Nathanial Hawk storyline since I thought it's been so long since I've played it why not just play through the main story with some of the new items etc the mods would add but I could sidestep out of the room and just be floating above the sea kind of thing, rather offputting :p)
However I did find myself falling through the floor in places and stuff that just annoyed me so I've ended up installing AoP and the Supermod :p
Might not be the best, but since at the moment I'm just looking for something relatively easy to get going etc since it's my first foray back into these kind of games for a looooooong time it might do.

Then again I might give PotC another go tomorrow :)

Sidestep is covered in our FAQ:
3. If I use the A or D buttons my character slides and can go through solid objects; why?
The original game didn't have sidestep, so we added it. We tried to include collision detection, but failed.
Easy way to stop it is to not press the buttons ;) (or reassign them).
So yes, it is weird. No, we can't do anything about it. You can choose not to use it if it bothers you. :shrug

BTW: PotC: New Horizons >>>>> AoP+Supermod :wp

Sidestep is covered in our FAQ:So yes, it is weird. No, we can't do anything about it. You can choose not to use it if it bothers you. :shrug

BTW: PotC: New Horizons >>>>> AoP+Supermod :wp

Ah fair enough, sorry I really should have read that first!

The other thing I had a problem was when I checked some controls in the main menu, I then couldn't resume my game, I was stuck on the main menu with no way out but quiting the game :(
I think I read something about 2.5 fixing that?

Haha anything empirical or just personal opinion?

The other thing I had a problem was when I checked some controls in the main menu, I then couldn't resume my game, I was stuck on the main menu with no way out but quiting the game :(
I think I read something about 2.5 fixing that?
We indeed DID manage to fix that one at long last! We had been having to work around that issue for years, but finally don't have to deal with it anymore. :dance

Haha anything empirical or just personal opinion?
As I see it:
Original PotC: Average game, not impressive
Original AoP: Average game, not impressive
Original CoAS: Pretty good game from the start

Then with modpacks:

Supermod:
This is the tiniest modpack for any of these games. A couple of new ships, ability to walk inland on the islands which the other two games had right from the start and a few small new features.
It also hasn't been worked on in about 6 years.

Gentlemen of Fortune:
Adds a lot of fun new game elements, but from what I understand, slightly buggy on the latest version that was publicly released on the ModDB.
As far as I can tell, not much modding is being done on this anymore either.

New Horizons:
Adds enough content to make an average game into not just ONE good game, but at least SIX. With six distinct historical periods,
six different involving storylines to choose fro, a lot of high-detail new ship models, added special PotC film stuff and the ability for extensive free play with lots of stuff to discover and explore.
You'll have a hard time finding all the stuff we've added. You'll need several months to do it, I think. :wp
And we've been making some great progress lately to fix long-standing bugs and improve gameplay issues.

So empirical, I should say. Though admittedly coloured by personal opinion. PotC: New Horizons is just awesome! :walkplank

Fair enough, gave PotC another go this morning, ignoring the lack of collision detection and was enjoying it, just got to leaving the first town (which now has a weird name :p) to find I had no idea where the wind was going from/to, nor how fast I was going (if at all) and then went on world map, before it seemed to pause, and I went back to the sea where there was a battle and I was getting owned, then it CTD.... :(

I tried changing it to arcade whilst in the harbour, wondering if speed/wind stuff would appear but they didn't :(

Also at 2560x1440 the ship health picture and little radar thing are comically small :p

just got to leaving the first town (which now has a weird name :p)
It is named SO weirdly that it actually exists! :rofl
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speightstown

I had no idea where the wind was going from/to, nor how fast I was going (if at all)
I tried changing it to arcade whilst in the harbour, wondering if speed/wind stuff would appear but they didn't :(

Also at 2560x1440 the ship health picture and little radar thing are comically small :p
Do you have the latest Beta 2.5 WIP files yet?

If you switch to Arcade, you can choose your compass in the Options>Realism Settings menu. If you don't like the small one, just set it to "Large".
It doesn't update while on sea though, so you'll have to reload before the change takes effect.

It is named SO weirdly that it actually exists! :rofl
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speightstown

Do you have the latest Beta 2.5 WIP files yet?

If you switch to Arcade, you can choose your compass in the Options>Realism Settings menu. If you don't like the small one, just set it to "Large".
It doesn't update while on sea though, so you'll have to reload before the change takes effect.

Haha shh :p

Err I downloaded them from the update on the front page I think?
Fair enough about arcade not updating, so on realistic there's no wind or speed indicators apart from seeing the sails move etc?
It's only so small due to the res I think, since the picture of the ship you're sailing in is also tiny (smaller than a postage stamp)

Fair enough about arcade not updating, so on realistic there's no wind or speed indicators apart from seeing the sails move etc?
It's only so small due to the res I think, since the picture of the ship you're sailing in is also tiny (smaller than a postage stamp)
There are big compasses as well. In Arcade Mode, you can switch to the big one in the Options>Realism Options menu.
In Realistic Game Mode, you need to buy a better compass for the larger and more detailed display.

Back