• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Historical naval ranks in other languages

Dat Scharger

Master Mariner
Ahoy!

After searching the internet for some time and not finding satisfying, even contradicting results, I resort to seeking your help. :)

I'm searching for the Russian translation of the First Mate.

I have found the following:

-Perwy Mat
-Starschi pomoschtschnik komandira korablja (After getting "First officer" in the English wikipedia for typing in "First Mate" and then going to the Russian site)

Yeah, sooooooo...

Help me, please, as it's actually important to know for me. :(

THX 11-38 in advance, fellow mariners!

After searching the internet for some time and not finding satisfying, even contradicting results
I'm not surprised. While I don't know about Russian, we changed the other languages back and forth a gazillion times over the years.
Naval ranks for different nations were named differently and changed throughout the years at different times.
It's really complicated and I doubt there's any clear answer on any such translation for any language.
Often, the best you can do is to "come close enough" and then end up picking the variation you like.

I'm searching for the Russian translation of the First Mate.
@konradk, @kb31 or @Maximus, does one of you guys know?
Is there any specific year that you care about? That could make a difference.

Исторически сложилось, что называется он у нас "старший помощник"(starschi pomoschtschnik), сокращенно - "старпом", но в тематическом контексте (пиратская тематика, например), в литературе и фильмах, обычно, переводится дословно - "первый помощник"(pervi pomoschtschnik)

Исторически сложилось, что называется он у нас "старший помощник"(starschi pomoschtschnik), сокращенно - "старпом", но в тематическом контексте (пиратская тематика, например), в литературе и фильмах, обычно, переводится дословно - "первый помощник"(pervi pomoschtschnik)

So "pervi pomoschtschnik" it is then? :)

Back