• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Historical Supermod - Questions

thypride

Landlubber
Hi there!

I don't know, if anyone still reads this, but I gotta try. :)
I recently downloaded the Supermod (v5), and ran into some strange stuff.

1.) When a nation sees me as "good buddy" and I attack one single ship, I instantly fall to "bastard" and get hunted by Patrols. Is this intentional?
2.) Enemy cannonballs seem to kill FAR too many of my sailors. Before my ship can be sunk, I run out of men. I need a lot more grapes to kill as many enemy sailors.

I already have changed some other things (like crew strength, cannon size on some ships, and stuff like that) more to my liking, but I can't find the files, where the standing towards nation or the damage of the diffierent ammo types is managed. Maybe someone can give me some directions.... :)

Thank you! ;)

What makes you think these forums are not active? :guns:

What kind of ship did you attack? Usually attacking merchant ships of another nation is enough to mark you as a criminal/pirate, but if you attacked a patrol, then that will land you right in the sworn enemy zone for that government -- and it only makes sense that way. :p

As for not hitting the enemy as well with your shots, you actually need an able-bodied gunner officer on-board who knows how to instruct your men to fill and aim proper, and quality guns that have proper range. If the enemy is using grapes against you -- which they would be at close range -- grapes won't cause much damage to your ship's hull, but they will certainly obliterate your crew. It's a military tactic -- they want your ship.

Get an officer, reinforce your ship and equip it with quality guns, and put a distance between you and the enemy if you don't want to lose your crew first thing. Only try to board once you've:

1. Disabled the enemy ship.
2. Depleted/weakened its crew.
3. You have safe access to the enemy ship, with little potential damage/casualties.

(Both of these are related to the vanilla game, not to HS specifically.)

:ship

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the quick reply and the welcome! :)
I know the theories of all that, being an pirate game player since the first sid meier's pirates (centuries ago! :) ) and a naval/military history enthusiast.

But back to the game:
1.) I go down to "bastard" as soon as I capture a single little sloop.

2.) Even on long range, I'm loosing crew so fast, it's simply better for me to close up fast, put a broadside of grape into the enemy and board the ship instantly, even if they outnumber my men.
No matter on which difficulty I play the game. Even on easy.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot: Same problem occurs, when I check the box for "reduced naval damage". My ship takes almost no damage, but crew vanishes too fast.

That said, I never played AoP CT in vanilla, only with the Supermod, so I can't compare the two.

1.) I go down to "bastard" as soon as I capture a single little sloop.

"Bastard" is the equivalent of "known criminal" -- and you did just take another vessel by force. It's not the worst of reputation, and it can be amended to Swindler (small-time criminal) quite easily. The worst reputation is reserved the name "Horror of the High Seas" or "Sea Terror" (the equivalent of well-known threat/menace).

From memory, I'm pretty sure this is standard game behaviour. CT takes its pirating realistically/seriously. You can play the game entirely as a non-criminal -- whether as a sea merchant, or licensed buccaneer.

2.) Even on long range, I'm loosing crew so fast, it's simply better for me to close up fast, put a broadside of grape into the enemy and board the ship instantly, even if they outnumber my men.
No matter on which difficulty I play the game. Even on easy.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot: Same problem occurs, when I check the box for "reduced naval damage". My ship takes almost no damage, but crew vanishes too fast.

That said, I never played AoP CT in vanilla, only with the Supermod, so I can't compare the two.

This doesn't sound like normal game behaviour. If you're getting shot by cannon balls (not bombs), your crew should not be disappearing so fast, unless the ship is nearly in pieces. Even with bombs, the rate at which your crew is depleted would be much slower than when hit by grapes. (Bombs back then were pretty basic, and aimed at disabling the ship.)

From memory, I'm pretty sure this is standard game behaviour. CT takes its pirating realistically/seriously. You can play the game entirely as a non-criminal -- whether as a sea merchant, or licensed buccaneer.

Just confirmed it in the code. If you really wanted to change the former default behaviour, you can do so by amending this line in 'Program/nations/nations.c':
Code:
mchr.reputation.(sNation) = 20;

The moment you become an enemy to a nation (i.e. you attack a nation's vessel), you are proclaimed a "Bastard" (or known criminal) to them:
Code:
if(iRelationType == RELATION_ENEMY)
   {
       mchr.reputation.(sNation) = 20;
       LAi_group_SetRelation(sSoldiersGroup, LAI_GROUP_PLAYER, LAI_GROUP_ENEMY);
       LAi_group_SetRelation(sCitizensGroup, LAI_GROUP_PLAYER, LAI_GROUP_ENEMY);
   }

And here are the corresponding reputation values, for reference, from 'Program/characters/CharacterUtilite.c':
Code:
string GetReputationName(int reputation)
{
    if(reputation<11)
        return ReputationTable[REPUTATIONT_HORROR];
    if(reputation<21)
        return ReputationTable[REPUTATIONT_BASTARD];
    if(reputation<31)
        return ReputationTable[REPUTATIONT_SWINDLER];
    if(reputation<41)
        return ReputationTable[REPUTATIONT_RASCAL];
    if(reputation<51)
        return ReputationTable[REPUTATIONT_NEUTRAL];
    if(reputation<61)
        return ReputationTable[REPUTATIONT_PLAIN];
    if(reputation<71)
        return ReputationTable[REPUTATIONT_GOOD];
    if(reputation<81)
        return ReputationTable[REPUTATIONT_VERYGOOD];
    if(reputation<90)
        return ReputationTable[REPUTATIONT_HERO];

return ReputationTable[REPUTATIONT_HERO];
}

So if you wanted to change it to Swindler, for example, amend the above line's value from 20 to 30. But expect that this may result in some strange AI behaviour -- as in the nations/enemy not really caring about you attacking them openly.

Last edited:
The naming for reputations is a bit unclear and dodgy in the game. For clarity, I suggest amending 'RESOURCE/INI/texts/english/common.ini' like so:
Code:
; reputations
string = Horror of High Seas,"Terror"
string = Bloody Bastard,"Criminal"
string = Cynic Swindler,"Crook"
string = Quirky Rascal,"Shady"
string = Neutral,"Neutral"
string = Plain Fellow,"Pleasant"
string = Good Matey,"Good"
string = Very Good,"Mate"
string = Hero,"Patriot"

(Heroes become heroes after their death, when empty room is left to idolise them and their actions.)

Last edited:
Heroes become heroes after their death, when empty room is left to idolise them and their actions.
Good one! Can't disagree there... :cheeky

I wonder though about "Patriot", because to me that implies "FOR your OWN country", which often goes with "against something else".
But I can't really think of an alternative right now anyway, so... :shrug

I wonder though about "Patriot", because to me that implies "FOR your OWN country", which often goes with "against something else".

My reasoning is that the only way you can reach a "hero" reputation in another nation is if you are so friendly with them that you are considered practically a patriot of their country (even if you started as a foreigner).

And if you do reach such good reputation, there is a quest in the game that will actually call upon you to defend that nation's colony as if it was your own. So I think it makes good sense. But I'm open to further opinions and suggestions.

My reasoning is that the only way you can reach a "hero" reputation in another nation is if you are so friendly with them that you are considered practically a patriot of their country (even if you started as a foreigner).

And if you do reach such good reputation, there is a quest in the game that will actually call upon you to defend that nation's colony as if it was your own. So I think it makes good sense.
Especially with that quest you mention, that does sound like a sensible reason to me as well. :onya

But I'm open to further opinions and suggestions.
"International Patriot"?
"Citizen of the World"?
:rofl

Good one! Can't disagree there... :cheeky
I would. ;) It's true that some heroes become heroes after their death because they died heroically. Others manage to be recognised as heroes for great deeds done while they're still alive.

If you don't want to leave it as "Hero" (one definition of which is "a person admired for achievements and noble qualities"), then perhaps "Paragon" ("a model of excellence or perfection").

Thanks for the challenge. :D

I would. ;) It's true that some heroes become heroes after their death because they died heroically. Others manage to be recognised as heroes for great deeds done while they're still alive.

But are they really "heroes", or people who have done great things? See, for someone to become a hero, their raw humanity, their flaws, need(s) to fade away with time. As long as they are still living, they are flesh-and-blood human beings, liked by some, disliked by others.

If you don't want to leave it as "Hero" (one definition of which is "a person admired for achievements and noble qualities"), then perhaps "Paragon" ("a model of excellence or perfection").

I don't have that much against the "Hero" label, actually. This is an adventure game, after all. But it sounds a little bit unrealistic/corny to me to say: "You have the reputation of a Hero with France."

Last edited:
it sounds a little bit unrealistic/corny to me to say: "You have the reputation of a Hero with France."
Does SD:CT have reputations per nation? If so: COOL!
Definitely makes sense to me, because one person's Hero is another person's Terror.

Does SD:CT have reputations per nation? If so: COOL!

Sure does! :D You can form alliances with many nations and engage in the politics between them. You can lose good reputation simply by the wheel of politics turning in the Caribbean, too -- when your ally becomes an enemy of your nation.

Sure does! :D You can form alliances with many nations and engage in the politics between them. You can lose good reputation simply by the wheel of politics turning in the Caribbean, too.
Nice!
PotC does have "points with nations", but then it also has a separate "reputation" which is global.
Quite confusing, if you ask me... :facepalm

I'm getting the vibe that the consensus is set on keeping "Hero" as the uppermost good rep. :shrug

Nice!
PotC does have "points with nations", but then it also has a separate "reputation" which is global.
Quite confusing, if you ask me... :facepalm

That does sound confusing... :8q

Back