• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Historical Supermod - Questions

Wow... :)

Thanks for the replies, I will check those files. I don't have a problem with being a criminal after attacking a ship of a nation. Problem for me is, that I get almost instantly intercepted by punitive squadrons. Yesterday there were 3 of them at once. I can't really do something else than run away. No docking in town, because, when I leave again, they're still there etc. That's a bit too much in my opinion. After all, the navies of that age did have problems to protect their trade, because of the lack of warships. So sending multiple squads of big warships after a little Sloop that captured one single boat... well... you know what I mean. Especially when that nation is at war with another.

I already lowered the chance of meeting a punitive sqadron in encounters_init.c, but that didn't seem to help. (started a new game after that)

And because of the damage done by different ammo types... can someone point me out to the file where those values are set? As I didn't find anything while browsing the files.

Aaaaand... one last question: Would it be possible to remove a ship from the game? If so, it seems, I missed something. I removed a shiptype from ships.h and ships_init.c, but after that, the game doesn't start. So I guess, I missed a file or two... :)
Reason for that is, that I'm some type of historical accuracy fetishist :D and some of the models don't fit in the era (ie: Brig and Corvette) or are just... well... out of place (Royal frigate being bigger than a ship of the line).

Problem for me is, that I get almost instantly intercepted by punitive squadrons. Yesterday there were 3 of them at once. I can't really do something else than run away. No docking in town, because, when I leave again, they're still there etc. That's a bit too much in my opinion. After all, the navies of that age did have problems to protect their trade, because of the lack of warships. So sending multiple squads of big warships after a little Sloop that captured one single boat... well... you know what I mean. Especially when that nation is at war with another.

The difficulty level sounds like a mod setting to me, not default game behaviour.

Practical Tips:

Keep moving on the travel screen, as soon as you enter it. Time passes much-much faster there, representatively, and if you stay in one spot, word will get around quickly about your location and the patrols will find you. If you need to plan your route or rest, enter sea mode, then return to the travel screen when you're ready -- it will resume from where you and the enemy left off.

If the enemy is clogging your route to a port, draw them away by enticing them to follow you around the island. (Their navigation skills maneuvering close to land are usually poorer than your own.) Also note that if you draw far enough from them, and you manage to lose them, they will return to their posts and regular duties, that is to say they will disappear from the travel screen. But you need to make quite a distance for this to happen -- about 3 days' worth, or more than three times an average island's size, visually.

Aaaaand... one last question: Would it be possible to remove a ship from the game? If so, it seems, I missed something. I removed a shiptype from ships.h and ships_init.c, but after that, the game doesn't start. So I guess, I missed a file or two... :)

Tricky, as you will need to make sure that all references to that ship are removed from the code -- quite an undertaking. If you're on Linux, you can use grep (grep -ri) to search the whole code, inside all the files, for key names/words -- which should help you find all instances. I'm not aware of such a tool for Windows, and I'm not sure if Mac has grep.

Last edited:
And because of the damage done by different ammo types... can someone point me out to the file where those values are set? As I didn't find anything while browsing the files.

For settings for each ship type, have a look inside 'Program/ships/Ships_init.c'.

For behavioural settings by charge/ammo, have a look in 'Program/sea_ai/AIBalls.c'.

you will need to make sure that all references to that ship are removed from the code -- quite an undertaking. If you're on Linux, you can use grep (grep -ri) to search the whole code, inside all the files, for key names/words -- which should help you find all instances. I'm not aware of such a tool for Windows
See here, tip #3:
Tutorial - Modding Tips & Tricks

I also recall a program named "Agent Ransack".

Back