• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

hms indefagitable

Vassal, please try to post more than that in the future.
Yes, as Muddy Said, a ship of the line is a ship powerfulo enough to be in the line of battle, the line was usually like this: (l= ship of the line)

l l

l l

l l

l l

The ships of the line were ships powerful enough to be in the front, or the 'line', as dipicted.

hey everybody sorry about not responding im been quite busy of late ill take you guys and gals up on thatv rum arrrghhh. i hope somebody makes the ship it would be so awesome

i found some info
HMS Indefatigable
`Indefatigable-class` battlecruiser (3f/2m). L/B/D: 590 × 80 × 27 (179.8m × 24.4m × 8.2m). Tons: 22,080 disp. Hull: steel. Comp.: `800-1`,021. Arm.: 8 × 12 (4 × 2), 14 × 4, 4 × 3pdr; 2 × 18TT. Armor: 6 belt, 2.5 deck. Mach.: Parsons turbines, 33,000 ihp, 4 screws; 25 kts. Des.: W. T. Davis. Built: Devonport Dockyard, Plymouth, Eng.; 1911.

The first of a `three-ship` class, HMS Indefatigable was only a slight improvement over the first battlecruiser class named for HMS Invincible. As in the earlier ships, she had four turrets, one forward, one aft, and two displaced diagonally on either side of the ship. After duty with the Home Fleet, in 1913 she was transferred to the Mediterranean Fleet. In August 1914 she took part in the hunt for SMS Goeben and Breslau, and was later stationed on the Dardanelles blockade. Recalled to home waters in February 1915, she joined Vice Admiral Sir William C. Pakenham's Second Battle Cruiser Squadron. At the Battle of Jutland on May 31, 1916, during the "run to the south," the first engagement between the British and German battlecruisers, Indefatigable was in the rear, opposite SMS Von Der Tann. After 27 minutes, a hit on the fore turret penetrated the magazine spaces and blew the ship in half, and she sank at 1605 with the loss of 1,017 crew; there were four survivors.

we definately need some one to model this. as a nice heavy frigate

Wrong Indefatigable. That is the WWI Era Indy. The original was French built.

INDEFATIGABLE,44 (razee). (1784 Bucklers Hard as a 64. BU 1816) 1795 "razeed"to a 44 by removing forecastle and quarterdeck and altering former upper deck (now weather- or `spar-deck`) to `42-pounder` carronades from the `18-pounder` long guns previously mounted.

history is my best subject, my favorite subject, and the class has my favorite teacher, and most of by best friends in it...wow, wouldnt you think that is such a coincidence? :gday

as for me, i want to major in history in college. :facepalm ;)

Devildog, Sie haben recht! die Liebe von Geschichtenläufen durch ALLE von unseren Venen in dieser hier Schenke! :p:

<!--`QuoteBegin-devildog`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(devildog)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->history is going to be my major when i start classes in a few weeks, what is your fav era of history?
[/quote]

other than p'rats, which i couldnt say is an era, ther have pretty much always been p'rats. other than p'rats, devildog, i LOVE the era of ww2...its amazing that i have learned about ww2 more than ANYONE i know at my school, and yet there is still much to be learned....its almost, ummm...mystical how interesting the war was, what things the Nazi scientists created and all, and sadly, the era shows how BAD a human can really go...like that scientist at `Auschwitz-Birkenau`...by the way, the `Auschwitz-Birkenau` was a death camp AND a concentration camp...it was the largest death/con. camp in poland that the nazis had, and believe it or not, poland had the most death camps, even more than in Germany. that scientist at this camp was infamously known for his "experiments". lets just say he was the "evil" doctor of his day, for example, he would use some of his "patients" and see how long a person could last torture, which would help his troops and special forces so if they ever get caught. he was a brilliant man, but nonetheless very very very VERY sick and demented man, and i hate nazis...im glad the Allies won!

(ps, no disrespect to germany in ANY way, shape or form. besides, i have VERY thick ancestry in germany anyway!...its just sad...imagine how much better it woulda been if Hitler wasnt elected chancelor...he wouldnt have destroyed the German democracy and started dictatorship...but history cannot be changed)

as for me my favorite time period is the napoleanic era i love the ships of that day. i also have a big interest in wwII i went to germany twice when i was in high school on exchange programs and such and both time we got to go to the concentration camp at dachue (i think i spelt that right) both time it made a huge impression. i too have a rich german ancestory.

iw ent to germay and austria acouple of weeks ago i went to mathausen which was a concentration camp in austria it made a huge immpressian. they told us that the doctors would covet the mens tattoos to make lampshades and such. so they skinned the prissners tattoos off.

yeah i remember going through the mesuem at dachue and seeing pictures of a lampshade made of skin, that entire expirence made like you said a huge impression

Hello Cap'n.

Here is a letter that the Captain of the Indefatigable sent to the Admiralty in 1795. I've provided a couple of links that you can follow should you be interested in learning a little more about the life of Pellew.

Indefatigable Portsm'th Harb'r
6 Feb. 1795

Sir Edward Pellew, Captain of His Majesty's Ship Indefatigable, begs to be permitted to lay before their Lordships the under mentioned propositions which He humbly conceives will be of much benefit to the Ship he Commands, and not the smallest Impediment to her early Equipment.

1st. He begs to state that there is much reason to apprehend from the short Experiment hitherto attained from the Anson's being at Sea, that the cut down 64 Gun Ships are likely to be very uneasy so as to endanger their Masts from excels of rolling; but as their Lordships deem'd the Experiment not to be fairly bro't to Ifsue by so Short a trial, & do not therefore conceive it sufficient to authorize the return of the Indefatigable to her original Establishment of Masts & Yrds; I have with great anxiety & the most serious attention considered such Means, as may from the Experience I have had in the service be likely to correct the defect complained of, render the danger to be apprehended of lofs [of] Masts lefs emminent, & do therefore with the utmost respect & Submifsion beg to make the following observations.

1st. To make the Line of floatation of the Indefatigable one foot lefs than the Navy Boards directions, which were to immerse her body to 20 feet aft and `18-9` forward, carrying her ports `6-4` from the Water Line: to do this, it is evident, that the Ballast must not only be reduced in quantity, but that it must also be placed as High as pofsible in the Hold so as to raise the Ships Centre of Gravity - this being done, it naturally occurs to me, to look upwards to her Decks to see what benefit might be derived from adding weight to her Metal, every Pound of which must infallibly afsist the object in view, and which must be confefsed to be desirable.

If those deductions are admitted by their Lordships, the Masts being now put out of the Question by their decefsion, something may be effected to render the ship safe & easy in the following manner - her Establishment of Guns at present are

Main Deck.......`26-24` Prs
Quarter Deck.....`8-12` Prs, `4-42pr` Carronades
Forecastle.......`4-12` do., `2-42`

Proposed Establishment will be
Main Deck.......`26-24` Prs
Quarter Deck....`14-18` pdrs Guns (having 14 Ports)
Forecastle.......`6-42` pdr Carronades (as now established)

to attain this, I have informed myself the Indefatigable's (123) upper Deck Guns & Carridges are all here ready to embark & as the present Quarter Deck is what was the Main Deck, for which `18-Pounders` were intended, there can be no doubt as to the strength of the ship, the Ports being already fitted for them, & I am firmly of opinion, as are also the Builders here, that by floating the Ship at 19 aft and `17-3` or 4 forward carrying her Ports `7-4` from the ater Line, which is a foot lighter than proposed by the Navy Boards Draft & adding this weight to her Upper Deck Guns will very considerably tend to make the Ship easy & I hope it may be deem'd worthy my Lords Consideration as being the next preferable thing to her proper Masts; I then beg that an order may be granted for filling the spare Ports on the Quarter Deck with 2 `twelve-Pounders`

I have the honour to be
Sir
Your most obedient humble serv't
ED. PELLEW

http://www.pellew.com/Exmouth/Exmouth.htm

(Look in the column on the left for this book. It's on line.)

Edward Pellew, Viscount Exmouth
- By Parkinson, C Northcote. London 1934

http://www.pellew.com/
http://www.pellew.com/Exmouth/Exmouth%2000...03/Contents.htm

Back