• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

HMS Surprise

Absolutely wonderful! Great work, guys! :bow

My only criticism right now is that the spanker possibly looks a bit too high up, but I may be wrong.

How is this? Let me know and I will re-upload the file. As for the figure head, this can be a temporary one until Jack gets the time to make a proper one.

Surprisefigurehead-1.jpg

SurpriseHeadRigRat2-2.jpg

That does look better; nice job. :onya

However, I'm not done yet. I've downloaded the model and got it working in PotC, but I just can't help but feel that we're not 100% there yet.
The rigging is mostly fine, besides one small detail on Mast4, where there is one too few sails above the spanker.
Here's how it should look: http://fc01.devianta..._by_StasiaM.jpg
One other thing is that PotC seems to lack a sail locator that CoAS has, which from what I can tell is the one that limits how far out the sail is blown by the wind.
This results in the PotC sails flaring out too far, but I can fix that through locator work. Not anyone's fault besides the game engine. :modding

Another thing is about the stern. The earlier model was more rounded, but this one has become more... square.
Here's the real thing: http://upload.wikime...prise-stern.jpg
It's not that I don't like Jack's work on the interior of the ship (which is excellent!), but I just think the shape of the stern has not been truly represented.

Speaking of the interior, I'm confused as to why the port and starboard stern windows don't serve any purpose. You can't see them at all in the cabin... unless you walk right up to the wall.

One final thing is a small deck detail, which can be seen through, when it shouldn't be.

OK, rant over, I do believe this version is the best yet in terms of sheer detail, but it needs a little more polish before it becomes a true look-alike of the real thing.
One thing I really DO like is the concept of hull damage, as Jack has introduced. Clever making small bits of hull part of the masts. :doff

I'll see what I can do about the sails but the modeling is all Jack. I wish I could but i think I need to take a class in modeling with Maya of 3D studio.

As far as the sails blowing to far out, I am having the same problem in CoAS so its not just PoTC.
dunno.gif

Hey I figured out how to fix the bulge problem with the sails. Check it out.

SurpriseSailFix.jpg

PoseidonsailsFix.jpg

AFTER i ADD A MIZZEN TOPGALLANT SAIL i WILL RE-UPLOAD BOTH MODELS FOR YOU.
danse1.gif

That windows are the "toilet" ones, that i havent modeled...
For the deck detail, is an exporting problem, when i'll release the newer version, where i'd like to fix some things, it will be fixed too... ;)

Great news!!!

What about that mizzen topgalant btw? Could u explain pls? :shrug

I hope u ll upload full archive with all required resources (inc. textures) =)

And i d like to ask u if are going to add interface icons for these ships?

/cheer

Good news. The masts are good to go and the mizzen Topgalant is there.
keith.gif

SurpriseSailFix2.jpg

I updated the files Armada, what else do you need?

@Craiggo, that does look better! However, my main concern was how much worse it was in PotC. Still, I can handle that one. ;)

EDIT: I don't think there's anything else I need at the moment...

What about that mizzen topgalant btw? Could u explain pls? :shrug
In layman's terms, it's the topmost sail on the mizzen (rear) mast, which is what the ship didn't have in the first place.

And i d like to ask u if are going to add interface icons for these ships?
I'll certainly be doing that for PotC, and I guess something similar will be done for CoAS...
And of course when the ship is 100% release ready, all the necessary files will be released with it.

Hmm I remember that the COAS sloops, imported in POTC had the same sail problem...

Excellent Job anyway, that's a real pleasure to see her afloat!

Might I add my input on the addition of a mizzen topgallant. The Main mast looks a little wrong to me. The mizzen is really what struck me. I think I know why. If you look at the deviantart picture posted by Armada, you will see that the Spanker sail, is MUCH lower. The lower boom is longer, really close to the deck and rises upwards, barely clearing the Taff rail. The Upper boom is also longer and is angled steeper compared to what we have. And if you look inbetween the sails, you will notice there is a gap and the Mizzen topsail tooks tall. In the screeny posted by Craiggo, the mizzen top and mizzen topgallant looks squashed =S And the Spanker looks a LITTLE too high. If this was solved it would be approx. 93% accurate compared to the current 79% =D. Also in Craiggo's screeny, the Main course, top and topgallant look wrong, dont know why though =\ I don't wanna end on a bad note so I'll point out that the Fore course, top and topgallant is PERFECT! Still going to download though, when it's finished =D

Last I heard Jack was working on his model of 'La Belle'... I hope he comes back to finish the Surprise at some point... :rolleyes:

Any news of further work on the Surprise, Jack?
I'm planning to release the 'Easter Naval Supplies' pack this or next week, and I'd really like the complete Surprise included. :will
Any time after next week is inconvenient for me, at least for several more weeks, so the pack must be ready within that time, with or without this ship.
If you don't think you can get her finished before then, let me know and I'll arrange something else for her.

Now i'm whitout the pc, and i don't know when i'll get it back, so for now i can't do nothing...

That's OK, I'll keep the Surprise out of the pack for now.
No doubt I'll release a second lot of ships after the Easter pack, for those that didn't get finished in time. ;)

Incredible work you have show`n here!, n the details!

When will it be ready to sail in-game u think?

With best regards

Meyer189

Here, many high def pics here. a little late but mabe it will be handy for the polish of the ship....

http://www.modelships.de/Museums_and_replicas/Frigate_HMS_Rose/Photos_HMS_Rose_replica.htm

With best regards
Meyer189

Back