• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Hoist the colors (For the 125431th time)

@Sebrian, I have nothing ready of locations but searched through VCO for interiors.

The only thing I found was this complex of rooms.
Maybe use the door at B instead of A and only rooms 1-2-3-4.

The last/central room (4) has a little lower floor level. I thought of flooding that room
up to some level. The model has a lot of fire spots and I can add "steam" coming up from the floor.

Is it anything you think I should give a try?
bathhouse1.jpg bathhouse2.jpg

This would look great if used properly in a quest.

By the way, does anybody else seem to have a lot of missing textures when looking at VCO locations in GM viewer?

I also started Hoist the Colours again after a long time. I fully played it once before @Sebrian's extension, but back then I used a lot of walkthrough and found it a bit confusing. I'm afraid I still don't understand the first part.

By the way, does anybody else seem to have a lot of missing textures when looking at VCO locations in GM viewer?
In VCO you also have to change the texture file folder to a matching number. And sometimes not even then all are visible.
Try set the texture folder to just "scene" and some more can be visible.

@Sebrian, I have nothing ready of locations but searched through VCO for interiors.

The only thing I found was this complex of rooms.
Maybe use the door at B instead of A and only rooms 1-2-3-4.

The last/central room (4) has a little lower floor level. I thought of flooding that room
up to some level. The model has a lot of fire spots and I can add "steam" coming up from the floor.

Is it anything you think I should give a try?
View attachment 41050 View attachment 41052

This could look real nice if adding steam is possible, i could even do the films fight scene here!

This would look great if used properly in a quest.

I also started Hoist the Colours again after a long time. I fully played it once before @Sebrian's extension, but back then I used a lot of walkthrough and found it a bit confusing. I'm afraid I still don't understand the first part.

Indeed it might be a bit confusing, try to read the quest log, it should help, and there is the Tomas Tipman npc who appears here and there to give you well... tips, and you need to be a pirate lord to play my DMC questline, you have to finish "Sao Fengs Missing bodyguards" for that, or just use the console, it will be changed soon, when Singapore and some AWE stuff is finished.

I have tested the steam and it works fine.

One question is where in Singapore to enter the bathhouse. Do you need the jungle exit for future additions
or could I think of it as a possible door?

The suggested bathhouse has one room (nr1) with an open roof so
it will look better if the complex is not a cellar. I don't want to cover that hole because VCO has already
set the lighting in that room to be bright not dark.

Also at the jungle exit it's possible to add a part of an exterior building behind it.

Indeed it might be a bit confusing, try to read the quest log, it should help, and there is the Tomas Tipman npc who appears here and there to give you well... tips, and you need to be a pirate lord to play my DMC questline, you have to finish "Sao Fengs Missing bodyguards" for that, or just use the console, it will be changed soon, when Singapore and some AWE stuff is finished.
Yes, I remember quite a complicated structure with pirate lords and the customised sidequests, but that all comes later.

But only the very first quest, the one with Susan Shaypen and Billy Brock, I'm afraid I just don't understand the story, the narrative behind it.

@Jack Rackham i was thinking to make the governor's residence (biggest building in the upper district) as the exterior building, but I'm not sure how well it would match the interior.

Durring the movie this is where Barbosa meets Sao Feng, (the bathhouse) and it might make sense to make this location into Sao Fengs/Governor's residence

Or indeed we can use the jungle exit door with an exterior building behind it... i have no plans for a jungle yet, but maybe it could be useful to have a jungle for some sidequests...

So governor's residence building would be the best one i think.

Yes, I remember quite a complicated structure with pirate lords and the customised sidequests, but that all comes later.

But only the very first quest, the one with Susan Shaypen and Billy Brock, I'm afraid I just don't understand the story, the narrative behind it.

Maybe you could elaborate a bit more on what was confusing for you in the first part ? (Just curious)

I don't remember disliking the narrative there, it made sense for me...

In any case, my extension is more linear and should be really easy to follow, not sure that AWE will be as linear but we shall see.

And regarding the pirate lord sidequests, you pretty much need to finish only two of them to do DMC, and one leads into another.

Maybe you could elaborate a bit more on what was confusing for you in the first part ? (Just curious)
Okay, although this has nothing to do with the Singapore bathhouse. :p

It would be easier for me to say what I don't find confusing. Basically I've played the first part of Hoist the Colours several times over the years and still have no idea what's going on at all... So according to the excise agent, Annabella Brinkley is some kind of scammer who steals diamonds, but she gives Sparrow diamonds for... whatever reason. And her partner is Billy Brock (the same who abducted Lucas da Saldanha?), and he has kidnapped the governors daughter, whom Annabella Brinkley is impersonating... for whatever reason. Brinkley is swindling Sparrow somehow. She says she's Annabella Brin, the governor's daughter, even pretending to sneeze when she first accidentally says 'Brinkley'. But when two soldiers arrest Sparrow in Bridgetown tavern, it is basically "revelaed" that she's Brin, even though she said she's Brin from the beginning. And then she gets murdered by whom exactly? Clint Eastwood or Hector Barbossa? And why? What's the whole scheme behind it?

Ok, if using the residence entrance should it be more residence interiors there as well? I mean the building is very big (high).
If so we have to separate or connect bathhouse/residence somehow. Or use one of the side doors to the (added) portal door for the bathhouse.
I leave that for now and concentrate on the bathhouse interior.

room4: flooded and a test steam puff (with sound). Sao feng to be found at the end of this room
room4.jpg

Perhaps you could make some use of the vast location by taking liberties with the film scene? For example, in the film the crew hands them weapons from under the wooden floor, here you could do something different with weapons to use against the attack.

Yes the four rooms I have limited it to are very large. Room1 has an open ceiling. I have added the fountain
and stuff but how about using this "patio" to also get to the rest of the residence. (if used)

The entrance door is out of scale so I need to do something about it anyway. Like repeating the porch I added to Singapore.
room1.jpg

One room could be enough for the whole interior location with plenty of space to spare.
Yes, maybe we should do it that way? I have difficulties to fill the other rooms with something meaningful.
What do you say?

The only thing with the last room (4) is that it's not good at all for any fights.
This because the walk path is interrupted in many spots. Enemies will appear in zones.

If you want some fights here maybe use the two last rooms. (and make something interesting
with room nr 3)

@Sebrian I'm playing the other variation of the story now (Christopher Mings), it makes much more sense anyway. ;) But every single character (Damski, Kell, Konrad and all these entities which are also in the opening part of Devlin Opera) talk like dutch shipwrights! Kessel run here, spanish ships are toys there, dutch dutch holland holland dutch dutch holland dutch... It's getting on my nerves. :p Even the danish ambassador and Jack Rackham (who seems to be representing our modder JRH but also the real Rackham, at least he has Anne Bonny with him) are dutch.

I don't know how interested you are in the preexisting parts of Hoist the Colours, but perhaps this could be fixed at some point. We need to save sound aliases right now, but even preexisting aliases or none at all for some characters would be better in my opinion than having everyone in the world be a dutch patriot. I'll also look into sound aliases at some point and see if I can merge or save a few more. In Devlin Opera, where some of the same characters appear, they all use Gr_SJG (stereotypical pirate greetings).

@Sebrian I'm playing the other variation of the story now (Christopher Mings), it makes much more sense anyway. ;) But every single character (Damski, Kell, Konrad and all these entities which are also in the opening part of Devlin Opera) talk like dutch shipwrights! Kessel run here, spanish ships are toys there, dutch dutch holland holland dutch dutch holland dutch... It's getting on my nerves. :p Even the danish ambassador and Jack Rackham (who seems to be representing our modder JRH but also the real Rackham, at least he has Anne Bonny with him) are dutch.

I don't know how interested you are in the preexisting parts of Hoist the Colours, but perhaps this could be fixed at some point. We need to save sound aliases right now, but even preexisting aliases or none at all for some characters would be better in my opinion than having everyone in the world be a dutch patriot. I'll also look into sound aliases at some point and see if I can merge or save a few more. In Devlin Opera, where some of the same characters appear, they all use Gr_SJG (stereotypical pirate greetings).

I might be willing to change it up, but we must also respect the previous Modder's work, i think there was a discussion about this recently started by @Fluen... it will be interesting to hear your thoughts about "Justine Le Moigne’s Disappearance" quest, when you get to it, it leads into DMC and is trying to explain Davy Jones' etc. the writing there is well.. unusual for some movie characters... :p

And yes now i can see why "Annabella Brinkley" or Brin can be confusing, i guess the story could use some improvements here and there.

My own thoughts are that changing the voice greeting probably wouldn't do any harm, especially if the same modder (@Short Jack Gold) used "Gr_SJG" for the same characters in "Devlin Opera".

Rewriting "Justine le Moigne's Disappearance" is another matter, though adding some different dialog lines, plus some code to take account of whether you've already met Davy Jones, would make sense.

"Brinkley" vs. "Brin" is supposed to be confusing! (Take a look at the description for "Brinkley" in "initModels.c". ;)) The whole point is that first of all she claims to be Brinkley, then you're told that she's actually Brin, then you find out that she's part of a smuggling gang which kidnapped the real Brin. I'd leave that part as it is.

Back