• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Hook's fixes

@ Pieter Boelen <-- like this? :)

Maybe @PieterBoelen
Skip the space between the "@" and the username.
You also have to type the exact username, which in my case is "Pieter Boelen" (with a space).
So try:
Code:
@Pieter Boelen

@Jack Rackham and/or @Grey Roger may want to know this too, because I've recently seen people trying to tag other users incorrectly and then it doesn't work.

Hint: type "@", then start typing the user's name. The system should present you with a user name which matches what you've already typed - or, if what you've typed matches several users, a list of users which match. Click the user you're trying to tag and the system will auto-complete it for you. The fact that there is a "Pieter Boelen" whose thumbnail icon in the list matches the avatar seen on his posts, and a "Pieter" whose thumbnail does not match the avatar, should be a bit of a clue as to which one you want. ;)

Like this:

tagging.jpg

Hint: type "@", then start typing the user's name. The system should present you with a user name which matches what you've already typed - or, if what you've typed matches several users, a list of users which match. Click the user you're trying to tag and the system will auto-complete it for you. The fact that there is a "Pieter Boelen" whose thumbnail icon in the list matches the avatar seen on his posts, and a "Pieter" whose thumbnail does not match the avatar, should be a bit of a clue as to which one you want. ;)
Indeed tagging "@Pieter", which a fair number of people tend to do, does NOT actually tag me, but some other guy.
Of course I try to read all posts anyway, so it doesn't matter much. But still.... :rolleyes:

Those links are on @Levis Wiki page here :- New Horizons Modding | PiratesAhoy!

I prefer not to interfere with other people's Wiki pages - if at all possible .
Maybe @Levis himself could do that bit then?

I personally would never want to touch CoAS modding again.
Not because of anything wrong with the game, but because of the needless can of worms that surrounds it for no good reason.
As far as I'm aware, they never did get a true DirectSail working there, but I could very well be wrong.
A can of worms? Man, that's bad news, hoped it would have some futher potential for its decent fighting system at land and its working save/load functions even in battles. You're right, there's no working direct sail in GoF.

I've found something suspicious in the code, a lack of error checking at a critical point, but to test it I'll need the exact steps that always produce a teleport situation. Actually, any teleport situation, because this problem might show up in other places in the code. I read through the thread about it, but didn't find anything I could use.

For what it's worth, I've sailed all over the map and haven't been teleported anywhere lately. Part of the reason for that may be that I'm looking at debug traces for directsail and I'll always wait for directsail to run before I do anything... this sets your position correctly.

I have not used the world map except for tests, so problems specific to returning from the world map would be useful as well.

Hook

BTW, if you are on this: Is it in any way possible to add DirectSail to Open Sea? It is nothing important - but it would be nice if you go into a battle from worldmap and then, after victory (or escape) are able to go to the next island(s) without going to world map again.

@Pillat I'll have a look at that after I think about it a bit.

OK, in the test case I had the player was using the open sea mod, left Grenada port, but on the world map he was on the opposite side of the island. I couldn't reproduce the problem with the normal map.

A screen shot of where he ended up on the world map makes it obvious. The world map islands are the same size as on the normal map, but your locations are based on open sea distances, so you're not where you think you are on the world map. He got teleported to the nearest non-land location when he went to the world map.

My "suspicious code" check didn't get triggered, so it wasn't the original problem I thought it might be, where the pchar.location was assumed to be an island but might not have been. That could still happen in some odd case, so I'll go ahead and code the check for it and simply leave the original map location in place if your pchar.location isn't an island.

It looks like if you're sailing on the world map, you need to wait for a "Land Ho" announcement before going back to your ship or you end up in open waters and I don't think directsail will help you in that case. My initial though is that this might be fixed by logging you into the nearest island whenever you return from the world map, no matter how far away that island is, and never being in open waters. @Pillat I think that's what you're asking for, and unless people like the open waters, or they are necessary for some kind of game play, I think it's a good idea to implement.

IF directsail isn't running, and it won't be on open waters, it won't be generating encounters of any kind. If people prefer this behavior, we can check the distance to the nearest island and not generate encounters if you are too far away from civilization.

For now, I suspect open sea and the world map are not compatible and it may take quite a bit of work to make a new world map for the open sea scale.

Hook

I just did a quick test. I set OPEN_SEA_MOD to 1 and left a port and sailed to a nearby island using the world map. The world map island sizes are the same as the normal map sizes, not scaled for open sea. Although my initial position on the display map showed me where I expected to be, near the island, after going to the world map again and back to the ship, I'd been moved a considerable distance away from the island. The world map showed me right on the island's shore.

So it's as I posted above: open sea is not compatible with the current world map so we'll need a new world map for open sea.

Hook

And thanks, Marki. The only reason I bought COAS was because someone on Steam said it had been modded to include directsail. I'm gonna guess that's another mod which I won't mention. If I start doing mods for GOF, that's probably going to be the first.

Hook

You are correct. I have tried it out and can confirm they have a basic direct sail in place. However, I don't direct sail much of anywhere, so I cannot confirm how effective it is compared to POTC, as I have not tried that either. I'll PM you what the readme states.

Also Hook, you seem to be planning a variety of changes in regards to scale and whatnot to fix the original issue. Im not clear on the transition mechanics, but you mentioned speed being a factor before the transition, I remember @Tingyun was working on a more realistic wind model based upon the actual Carribbean winds. (West to East if I recall.) He seemed pretty intent on his mod before he took his break, would your changes be effected by a more consistant wind model? I have no idea, and I don't direct sail so I probably shouldn't stick my nose where it doesn't belong, but I'd hate to see conflicts between two interesting mechanics. :)

I encountered a situation where I sailed a short distance north from Curacao on the world map, then when I went back to my ship I was a bit east of Jamaica, far northwest of where I expected. The debug traces indicated that the position had not been set in SetCorrectWorldMapPosition but in the directsail code when it apparently tried to process a pchar.location of "" which happens whey you are in open waters without an island. I've added checks to prevent that, but need to test them to make sure it doesn't break anything. I'm going to guess that any time this happens you will be teleported to near that spot east of Jamaica.

@Redbeard the problem is that directsail only checks every 5 game minutes when you're near a transition, 15 minutes otherwise, and you can sail a long ways in 5 minutes if the wind speed is high. As close as the islands are, you can end up far too close to the new island after transition because of this. Due to some timing issues in the processing, it's not feasible to check more often than 5 minutes, and given the speeds and distances with the normal map, it wouldn't help anyway.

I'd prefer not to use trade winds that don't change direction much, because you will end up having to sail directly against the wind to get out of some harbors, and you may not have room to tack. In the real world, coastal winds can be more variable, so that might be necessary to implement if they add trade winds and you're at an island. That might be even worse because typically winds will blow toward the island during the day, and away from the island at night, so you'll need random wind directions when near an island anyway.

I avoid the world map as much as possible. It's the reason why I've done so much work on directsail over the years, so I never have to see the world map at all.

Hook

I think CoAS has all Islands' geometry in the model of each Island, but only the locators of the current Island.
This means that you can appear to sail to other islands, but without an actual DirectSail mechanic to reload you to the next one, you cannot actually get ashore.
This means that CoAS gives the appearance to have some sort of DirectSail functionality, but it isn't real.

I think @Pillat was requesting that if you go from worldmap to 3D sailing mode in "the middle of nowhere", you would be able to sail back to an island.
As far as I'm aware, this is not possible due to game engine limitations.
If there is no Island in the scene, then there is no reference point and therefore the game cannot calculate your movement.
So you end up going nowhere.
I agree it would be nice if that could be fixed, but don't hold out too much hope that it is possible.

I think @Pillat was requesting that if you go from worldmap to 3D sailing mode in "the middle of nowhere", you would be able to sail back to an island.
As far as I'm aware, this is not possible due to game engine limitations.
If there is no Island in the scene, then there is no reference point and therefore the game cannot calculate your movement.
So you end up going nowhere.
I agree it would be nice if that could be fixed, but don't hold out too much hope that it is possible.

I've got some preliminary code in place to find the closest island, which works. Now if I can figure out how to log into that island instead of ending up in open waters, it'll be done.

This may be related to the problem I'm currently researching where if you look at your map right after an island transition your ship might be in the wrong place until directsail runs again. It would be nice if fixing that one allows us to log into an island from open waters.

Hook

I think CoAS has all Islands' geometry in the model of each Island, but only the locators of the current Island.
This means that you can appear to sail to other islands, but without an actual DirectSail mechanic to reload you to the next one, you cannot actually get ashore.
This means that CoAS gives the appearance to have some sort of DirectSail functionality, but it isn't real.

This is how TEHO works in any case. I doubt if I'll be testing it with "that other mod". My time would be better spent adding directsail to GOF.

Hook

I've got the ship in the right place after an island transition, but I'm giving up for now on logging into an island every time you return from the world map. I may look into it again later.

So far, going to and from the world map puts your ship in the right place on the display map. I'm handling the error that caused a teleport to near Jamaica, but it hasn't triggered in my testing. There will still be the situation using the open sea map where you may spawn on the world map in a location different than you expected. Either don't use the world map with the open sea mod, or just live with the problem. If someone scales the world map for the open sea mod it won't happen.

I'm using the 19.xxx scale for my last few tests on the normal map. Making the scale 28 gives us some breathing room between close islands, but would require a new map, and the slight improvement probably isn't worth redoing the map. A larger scale would help, and I tested it previously at 25 and 30. The Curacao/Aruba transition is still nasty. I was sailing west from Curacao at about 18 knots and ended up close enough to Aruba to moor immediately after transition. I added extra points to fix that, but as I suspected, it made it worse, so the points are gone now. They might be useful if the map scale is increased.

The normal map testing is just about complete, and I'll be testing the open sea map when I'm happy that it all works. The code is nearly ready for release, at least for tests.

Hook

exactly, I agree.

Back