• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Notice Hook's mod, ActiveMap and 1.7.3

mitrokosta

Landlubber
Storm Modder
Hello there! TEHO dev here. We were getting a lot of questions about Hook's mod compatibility with 1.7.3 patch. I wanted to clarify some stuff.
Hook's mod is NOT compatible with 1.7.3 in any way. If you try to install it on top of 1.7.3, game will crash and there is nothing you can do about it until Hook or someone else adapts it.
Some of Hook's features/fixes were included in the game, one way or another, with Hook's permission. I'll try to list what I can remember off the top of my head.

1. Camera swing at doors, advanced sailing mode, crew on deck, interface scaling settings included, bottom-left corner in the options screen.
2. Price list sorting included and extended, see checkboxes in the tradebook.
3. Passenger quest fix included.
4. Worldmap time slow not included, but you can easily DIY. For a new game, open PROGRAM\worldmap_init.c, find worldMap.date.hourPerSec, change from 1.5 to something lower. In Hook's mod default speed is 0.5 (3 times slower). For current saves, open PROGRAM\seadogs.c, find OnLoad() function, add the following line inside (for example, after actLoadFlag = 1; line):
C++:
worldMap.date.hourPerSec = 0.5;
You don't have to do it every time! Once this has been executed, after you loaded a save and made another save, this value will stay in this save.
5. Wind power changes were NOT included in any way. You'll have to get someone to reimplement them.
6. ActiveMap included (although it was already for some time) and integrated. You have to get the map physically to use it though. If you don't want these complications, open PROGRAM\seadogs.c, find this line
C++:
if(CheckCharacterItem(PChar, "Map_Best") || bBettaTestMode) LaunchBestMapScreen();
change it to this
C++:
LaunchBestMapScreen();
Map boundaries are disabled by default, to turn them on, open PROGRAM\activemap_settings.h, change SHOW_BOUNDARIES to 1.
It is in the cabin of the Gold fleet's flagship.

That's all I can remember. If you have questions about other features of Hook's mod that I didn't mention, feel free to ask under this post.

Last edited:
Very clear partner, these are questions that have been repeated and it is good to make it clear to the players.

Hi, I quickly read it before, but I didnt see that lol. o_O

Im blind or have to read properly. Sorry for that. :D

Thanks so much. And one further question to ask please!

In the Hoodmod for 1.7.0, there is a setting about the windspeed:
"The current default is to add 10 knots to the lowest wind speeds and 5 knots to the highest. This makes the wind typically 13.5 to 21 knots, with extremes of 12 to 23 knots, which is similar to the actual winds in the Caribbean. You can adjust these numbers in the hookmod_settings.h file."

How to achieve this change?
The default speed now is too slow to travel around.

"The current default is to add 10 knots to the lowest wind speeds and 5 knots to the highest. This makes the wind typically 13.5 to 21 knots, with extremes of 12 to 23 knots, which is similar to the actual winds in the Caribbean. You can adjust these numbers in the hookmod_settings.h file."

If you want to change the speeds in the new version of the game, you will have to ask the developers in their discord, I leave you the link:

I said that this change was not included. Someone needs to adapt it. I'd really love to help, but I'm too busy nowadays.

I was able to implement Hook's changes to wind speed. Short tutorial below.

Go into the game folder > PROGRAM > weather and in the WhrWeather.c file make the following changes:

Add these lines at the top of the file under the #include lines:

C++:
#define LOWEST_WIND             12.0
#define HIGHEST_WIND            23.0
#define WIND_INCREASE           5.0

Add these lines at the end of the file:

C++:
float MakeInRange(float lo, float hi, float value)
{
    float temp = hi; if (lo > hi) { hi = lo; lo = temp; }    // sanity check
    if (value < lo) value = lo;
    if (value > hi) value = hi;
    return value;
}

//// LDH 05Feb17 calculate weatherspeed with wind speed increase
float GetWeatherSpeed()
{
    float fWindIncrease, fLoWind, fHiWind, fTemp;
    fWindIncrease = MakeInRange(-1.0, 10.0, WIND_INCREASE);
    if (fWindIncrease >= 0.0)
    {
        return stf(Weather.Wind.Speed) + fWindIncrease;
    }
    else
    {
        fLoWind = MakeInRange(2.0, 26.0, LOWEST_WIND);
        fHiWind = MakeInRange(4.0, 28.0, HIGHEST_WIND);
        if (fLoWind > fHiWind)
        {
            fTemp = fLoWind;
            fLoWind = fHiWind;
            fHiWind = fTemp;
        }
        if (fLoWind+2.0 > fHiWind) fHiWind = fLoWind + 2.0;
        return Bring2Range(fLoWind, fHiWind, 2.0, 18.0, stf(Weather.Wind.Speed));
    }
}

Next, find the lines that start with "fWeatherSpeed =" and replace the value after "=" with "GetWeatherSpeed();"
I have 2 lines in my file and they should look like this:
C++:
fWeatherSpeed = GetWeatherSpeed();

Hook's recommendations for the #define values:
LOWEST_WIND -> 12.0
HIGHEST_WIND -> 23.0
WIND_INCREASE -> 10.0 or 5.0 if ships are too fast

Let me know if you run into any issues, maybe I can help. While I'm not a programmer, I do possess some knowledge. :D

Hope this helps, cheers!

I was able to implement Hook's changes to wind speed. Short tutorial below.

Go into the game folder > PROGRAM > weather and in the WhrWeather.c file make the following changes:

Add these lines at the top of the file under the #include lines:

C++:
#define LOWEST_WIND             12.0
#define HIGHEST_WIND            23.0
#define WIND_INCREASE           5.0

Add these lines at the end of the file:

C++:
float MakeInRange(float lo, float hi, float value)
{
    float temp = hi; if (lo > hi) { hi = lo; lo = temp; }    // sanity check
    if (value < lo) value = lo;
    if (value > hi) value = hi;
    return value;
}

//// LDH 05Feb17 calculate weatherspeed with wind speed increase
float GetWeatherSpeed()
{
    float fWindIncrease, fLoWind, fHiWind, fTemp;
    fWindIncrease = MakeInRange(-1.0, 10.0, WIND_INCREASE);
    if (fWindIncrease >= 0.0)
    {
        return stf(Weather.Wind.Speed) + fWindIncrease;
    }
    else
    {
        fLoWind = MakeInRange(2.0, 26.0, LOWEST_WIND);
        fHiWind = MakeInRange(4.0, 28.0, HIGHEST_WIND);
        if (fLoWind > fHiWind)
        {
            fTemp = fLoWind;
            fLoWind = fHiWind;
            fHiWind = fTemp;
        }
        if (fLoWind+2.0 > fHiWind) fHiWind = fLoWind + 2.0;
        return Bring2Range(fLoWind, fHiWind, 2.0, 18.0, stf(Weather.Wind.Speed));
    }
}

Next, find the lines that start with "fWeatherSpeed =" and replace the value after "=" with "GetWeatherSpeed();"
I have 2 lines in my file and they should look like this:
C++:
fWeatherSpeed = GetWeatherSpeed();

Hook's recommendations for the #define values:
LOWEST_WIND -> 12.0
HIGHEST_WIND -> 23.0
WIND_INCREASE -> 10.0 or 5.0 if ships are too fast

Let me know if you run into any issues, maybe I can help. While I'm not a programmer, I do possess some knowledge. :D

Hope this helps, cheers!
Hey bro, after 30mins test, it just works properly!
This really helps me a lot. Amazing!
Much thanks.

Hey all, im just wondering what the different versions offer? I played POTC on XBOX as a kid, now i own TEHO and COAS but im wondering what the definitive edition is?

Thanks

COAS and TEHO are different games. I like both, so I would recommend you try them both.
TEHO is more story focused, while COAS is a bit more open ended.

Hey all, im just wondering what the different versions offer? I played POTC on XBOX as a kid, now i own TEHO and COAS but im wondering what the definitive edition is?

To add to @The Nameless Pirate response, the legendary edition is a new, improved version of TEHO with more quests/further story elements, visual improvements and redesigned ships. If you are more into story than free play, I would recommend TEHO (since it offers more than 100 hours worth of quests if you own all the DLCs), if you mostly enjoy freeplay, I would recommend COAS, especially with the Gentlemen of Fortune or ERAS mod, which both add a lot more content in the form of ships, items and so on

They aren't compatible, they serve two different purposes. ERAS is a mod for the Maelstrom engine (an improved engine of the original engine for COAS that you can buy on itch.io) and incorporates a highly realistic image of the caribbean at the time of the original game. There are no fantasy elements such as characters of the POTC movies present and most/all? the ships are historic ships. GOF 1.2 on the other hand is for the original game engine and expands the game by adding a lot of new content, such as POTC movie characters and ships as well as other new ships, characters and items.

interesting, and is New Horizons comparable in quality or completeness?

im just seeing so many versions of the same base game wondering what the differences are. Maybe there's a thread about that?

New Horizons is probably the mod with the most content/quality and completeness. However it is not for COAS but rather for POTC (the game from 2002). There is a new version of the mod which a couple of people are actively working on right now, where the mod has been ported to the Maelstrom engine and therefore visually upgraded by a lot with modern controls and some gameplay improvements as well. If you want to play that, you would need to purchase the Maelstrom engine from itch.io first.

In regards to all the different mods for the different Sea Dogs games out there, I would suggest the following (just my personal opinion):

For POTC (2002), which is a very story focused base game without the option of freeplay afterwards, I would go for the New Horizons mod (either with the new Maelstrom engine, if you want to spend the extra money, or with the old engine, but both versions enable freeplay)
For CT (2006), a game with a light story and a couple of freeplay options, I would probably go for the Historical Immersion Mod (though I didn't try that one out myself)
For COAS (2009), a game with a light story and more freeplay options compared to CT, I would go for GOF 1.2
For TEHO (2012), another largely story focused game, there aren't such huge mods out yet as the game used to be closed source and wasn't very mod friendly. If you are more of a freeplay guy, I would suggest waiting for the legendary edition and buying that (at a large discount if you already own the normal TEHO) since it will reduce a lot of the mission time restrictions and therefore allow much more freeplay.

Last edited:
Back