• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Hornblower Storyline: Various Errors

nonusnomeni

Powder Monkey
i think hornblower quest mutiny is broken
ship definitely is not 1 class and there is no doors to crew quarters

started again from Spieghtstown and attacked by 3 bandits inside Bridgetown Naval HQ
Wellard killed

Bridgetown is totally mess building inside building passing through walls jungle on graveyard

Last edited:
Which modpack version? @Grey Roger did a huge amount of work on Hornblower over the past few months and repeatedly played through it in full.

Bandits inside the HQ sound weird though.

The other Bridgetown stuff just sounds like the BuildingSet. If you don't life those added structures, disable that mod in the game settings.

i think hornblower quest mutiny is broken
ship definitely is not 1 class and there is no doors to crew quarters
Which ship is that?

started again from Spieghtstown and attacked by 3 bandits inside Bridgetown Naval HQ
Wellard killed
That should never have happened. Bridgetown Naval HQ is supposed to be protected by this:
Code:
    case "Collect_new_officers":
       if(AUTO_SKILL_SYSTEM)
       {
         AddPartyExpChar(pchar, "Leadership", 2000);
         AddPartyExpChar(pchar, "Sneak", 50);
       }
       else {AddPartyExp(pchar, 2000);}
       Locations[FindLocation("Greenford Naval HQ")].vcskip = true;

Does 'vcskip' remain in effect permanently until cancelled by a 'vcskip = false' line? Or does it need to be renewed every time you visit that location? This one is set up when you first visit Bridgetown Naval HQ to collect Quelp and Bracegirdle, and is never cancelled by a 'vcskip = false'. (I did add several of these to cancel it in jungle locations but never added one for the Naval HQ as random visitors should never appear there.)

@nonusnomeni: you said "started again from Speightstown". Did you reload a savegame or did you use the C. S. Forester cheat to skip to that point? If you skipped via C. S. Forester then you won't have been there to collect Quelp and Bracegirdle and the code to prevent random people in the Naval HQ won't have been executed.

Bridgetown is totally mess building inside building passing through walls jungle on graveyard
There's not much I can do about that. It won't be specific to "Hornblower"; if the vegetation next to the Maltese Abbey church is messed up, it's a problem with Bridgetown, not "Hornblower", and will probably happen in any storyline.

this version
Mod Release - Build 14 Beta 4 Internal WIP For Testing | PiratesAhoy!
and if after last captain sentence mr. Wellard say "good day" goes CTD
I'd like to see log files for that, especially "error.log". There shouldn't be a problem there; I've been replaying "Hornblower" myself and have just passed that point without trouble. Besides, the only change I made there was to get Sharpe moving so that, when Wellard's dialog finishes, Sharpe is in place to say his piece.

And now for my own problem. Sharpe in red uniform doesn't show his icon in the "Passengers" interface. This would seem to point to a problem with the 128x128 version of "face_567.tga.tx", but I've looked at it with "ConvertorTX" and it seems fine. The conversion settings are different to some other .tga.tx files, but then so is "face_449.tga.tx" which is Sharpe in green uniform, and that one shows up just fine.
passengers.jpg

Attached is a savegame so you can see for yourself.

Attachments

• -=Player=- Jamaica.zip
    823 KB · Views: 74
date is 8. dec 2015
sorry no save games start a new game
ship of cpt. Sawyer lot of animation on deck
standing on dock she look as she should
1 class 3 rate
but deck look like some 3 class

Archie is concerned about the Captain. yes that's happen

A storm blows up. nope no storm

Captain allows for sails to be reefed orders hauling. yes

Wellard is in the rigging. (auto) nope he say good day sir camera go right and down from helm position and game goes ctd or he say nothing and nothing happens

Sail tears – Wellard stops hauling sail. ???

i was
use the C. S. Forestercheat to skip to that point? If you skipped via C. S. Forester then you won't have been there to collect Quelp and Bracegirdle and the code to prevent random people in the Naval HQ won't have been executed. yep sry done that and i wasn't go on foot used old ship

cannot find error.log ???
show_fps = 0
safe_render = 0
texture_log = 0
geometry_log = 0
;offclass = soundservice ; remove colon in front to disable sound
mem_profile = memory.mp
startFontIniFile = resource\ini\fonts.ini
font = interface_normal
numoftips = 77 ; 0 = Disable Loading Screen Tips
tracefilesoff = 0 ; 1 = NO error logs (helps with game performance)

[script]
debuginfo = 1
codefiles = 0
runtimelog = 1
;tracefiles = 0

[sound]
sound path = resource\sounds\

[stats]
memory_stats = 0
update_mem_profile = 0

[cache]

This would seem to point to a problem with the 128x128 version of "face_567.tga.tx", but I've looked at it with "ConvertorTX" and it seems fine.
128 portraits has to be fixed with in pictures.ini too, for some reason.
Try this:

Attachments

• pictures.ini
    176.7 KB · Views: 93
and Grey Rodger
you have done very good job
that ctd was first flaw in storyline
no freezing no ctd
unimaginably
thx man

The C. S. Forester cheats are really only meant for testing. Though they teleport you to later parts of the story, and some things are set, there's no guarantee that absolutely everything is exactly as it would be if you'd reached that point in the game the normal way. In particular, that's why you got the thugs in Naval HQ.

As for the ship deck, there are only a few different types of deck scene, not one for every type of ship. Anyway, that's a "Superbe" class, it is a 3rd rate! I'd only expect to see the larger deck for really big ships such as HMS Victory, which you won't meet in this game and which is a lot bigger than HMS Renown, your ship for the "Mutiny" section.

Can you supply the log files from around the CTD? I'd especially like to see "compile.log" and "error.log" to figure out what is happening, because Wellard's dialog should not be affected by skipping to this section via C. S. Forester.

128 portraits has to be fixed with in pictures.ini too, for some reason.
Try this:
Thanks! Yes, that would probably explain it. "face_449.tga.tx" was simply replaced as it's only used by "SharpeS_Rif8_18", which is Sharpe in green sergeant's uniform. But for Sharpe in red uniform I had to create a new set of portraits because the original face for that model was "face_452.tga.tx", which is also used by several other riflemen, as I found out when I did replace it and then talked to Rifleman Mansfield with Sharpe's icons! So "face_449.tgx.tx" already had its entry in "pictures.ini".

That should never have happened. Bridgetown Naval HQ is supposed to be protected by this:
Code:
    case "Collect_new_officers":
       if(AUTO_SKILL_SYSTEM)
       {
         AddPartyExpChar(pchar, "Leadership", 2000);
         AddPartyExpChar(pchar, "Sneak", 50);
       }
       else {AddPartyExp(pchar, 2000);}
       Locations[FindLocation("Greenford Naval HQ")].vcskip = true;

Does 'vcskip' remain in effect permanently until cancelled by a 'vcskip = false' line? Or does it need to be renewed every time you visit that location? This one is set up when you first visit Bridgetown Naval HQ to collect Quelp and Bracegirdle, and is never cancelled by a 'vcskip = false'. (I did add several of these to cancel it in jungle locations but never added one for the Naval HQ as random visitors should never appear there.)
It remains in effect. But you should probably add that in the location init entry instead as you would NEVER want random characters there, would you?

There's not much I can do about that. It won't be specific to "Hornblower"; if the vegetation next to the Maltese Abbey church is messed up, it's a problem with Bridgetown, not "Hornblower", and will probably happen in any storyline.
Just general BuildingSet weirdness. Nothing new there. Nothing to worry about either.
There's a toggle on it and that's the end of it for me. :razz

And now for my own problem. Sharpe in red uniform doesn't show his icon in the "Passengers" interface. This would seem to point to a problem with the 128x128 version of "face_567.tga.tx", but I've looked at it with "ConvertorTX" and it seems fine. The conversion settings are different to some other .tga.tx files, but then so is "face_449.tga.tx" which is Sharpe in green uniform, and that one shows up just fine.
Is that particular portrait file included in RESOURCE\INI\INTERFACE\pictures.ini?
If not, either add it in there or rename it so that it uses one of the many, many "gaps" in the portrait numbers instead.
I prefer renaming because there is no point in having gaps.

sorry no save games start a new game
Just so you know, if you report anything, you should always be prepared to provide savegames, log files and more details as required.
If we can't get the details needed, there is virtually no point trying to fix the issue either since we wouldn't even be able to check what the actual issue is. :facepalm

Try copying this into "PROGRAM\Storyline\Hornblower\quests\". Several minor fixes are in place, among them an extra 'vcskip' line so that random people should no longer appear in Bridgetown Naval HQ after a C. S. Forester skip. In addition:
  • Styles and Matthews removed from Anse Casse-Bois when you get to Kingston after Simpson kills Clayton. (Without this, if you return to Anse Casse-Bois for any reason before you're officially sent there, the two sailors are still standing there.)
  • When you receive Magicienne to take troops to Martinique, attribute "isnotcaptain" is deleted - you are captain of that ship. The attribute is put back when you arrive at Speightstown.
  • After the wedding, you're on first name terms with your mother-in-law.
  • In the extension, exits from "Santo_Domingo_town_exit_1" are locked so you can't run away from the fight with the Voltigeurs and break the quest. They're opened again when the fight ends.
  • Ever wondered where the surviving riflemen went? Now Sharpe tells you, and then they march off.
  • When you return to Bridgetown, you can visit Maria again.

Attachments

• quests_reaction.c
    839.8 KB · Views: 86
It remains in effect. But you should probably add that in the location init entry instead as you would NEVER want random characters there, would you?

Just general BuildingSet weirdness. Nothing new there. Nothing to worry about either.
There's a toggle on it and that's the end of it for me. :razz

Is that particular portrait file included in RESOURCE\INI\INTERFACE\pictures.ini?
If not, either add it in there or rename it so that it uses one of the many, many "gaps" in the portrait numbers instead.
I prefer renaming because there is no point in having gaps.

Just so you know, if you report anything, you should always be prepared to provide savegames, log files and more details as required.
If we can't get the details needed, there is virtually no point trying to fix the issue either since we wouldn't even be able to check what the actual issue is. :facepalm
my bad sry :oops:

The C. S. Forester cheats are really only meant for testing. Though they teleport you to later parts of the story, and some things are set, there's no guarantee that absolutely everything is exactly as it would be if you'd reached that point in the game the normal way. In particular, that's why you got the thugs in Naval HQ.

As for the ship deck, there are only a few different types of deck scene, not one for every type of ship. Anyway, that's a "Superbe" class, it is a 3rd rate! I'd only expect to see the larger deck for really big ships such as HMS Victory, which you won't meet in this game and which is a lot bigger than HMS Renown, your ship for the "Mutiny" section.

Can you supply the log files from around the CTD? I'd especially like to see "compile.log" and "error.log" to figure out what is happening, because Wellard's dialog should not be affected by skipping to this section via C. S. Forester.

----------------------------------------
Build 14 Beta 4 WIP: 8 Dec 2015
Savegame Compatibility: 14.927
----------------------------------------

Gauging: StartGauging
Gauging: starting init
Gauging: interface
Gauging: Storylines
Gauging: Profiles
Gauging: starting init
==> BuildSettings: Sets to default
==> BuildSettings: New settings applied
Gauging: load build settings
Gauging: periods
InitNations: NATIONS_QUANTITY=6, bGuest1NationExists=0, bGuest2NationExists=0
Gauging: nations
Gauging: preprocessor
Init encounters complete.
Gauging: enc
Gauging: cann
Gauging: goods
Gauging: ships
IslandsInit: 22 islands loaded.
Gauging: islands
Init weathers complete. 0 weathers found.
Gauging: weather
InitSounds (English): created 19 entries.
InitMusic: created 93 entries.
Gauging: Aliases
Gauging: sound
Main_LogoVideo() 0
PauseAllSounds
ResumeAllSounds
Main_LogoVideo() -1
Gauging: initgame start
Gauging: createlayers
Gauging: stores
Gauging: sound
Gauging: delete sea env
Gauging: towns
Number of locations: 786
Gauging: locations
IslandsInit: 22 islands loaded.
Gauging: islands
Gauging: wdmap
Gauging: dialogs
Gauging: teleport
bool CreateParticleEntity()
Gauging: particles
Items initialization complete. Loaded 507 items.
Gauging: items
Gauging: quests
Gauging: sea ai groups
Gauging: questmapenc
Gauging: landenc
==> BuildSettings: Sets to default
==> BuildSettings: New settings applied
Gauging: load options
Gauging: models - Total number of models: 1052
InitSounds (English): created 19 entries.
InitMusic: created 93 entries.
Gauging: Aliases
Gauging: infoshow
Gauging: initgame done
Init character names complete.
SETTING MUSIC: music_main_menu

That "compile.log" seems to be from right near the start of the game. In fact, it seems to be incomplete, because if you're playing "Hornblower" then the line 'storyline\Hornblower\quests\quests_reaction.c not loaded, loading now!' ought to appear somewhere after that 'SETTING MUSIC: music_main_menu' line (which, incidentally, also indicates that the log file was created just after starting a new game - if it had been taken from a game in progress then the music would have been set to something suitable for the location).

Could you play the "Mutiny" section again? If you've copied the new version of "quests_reaction.c" posted above, you should no longer need to worry about thugs in Naval HQ after using the C. S. Forester cheat. I need to see the log files from after Wellard says the wrong thing while in the rigging. If the game doesn't CTD there, save and quit. Then post "compile.log" and "error.log". Don't copy and paste the file - use the "Upload a file" button to post the files themselves. That's how I got the updated "quests_reaction.c" into my post.

Several minor fixes are in place, among them an extra 'vcskip' line so that random people should no longer appear in Bridgetown Naval HQ after a C. S. Forester skip.
I still think you should put that in the location init entry for that location so it is always correct, no exceptions.
Much simpler. ;)

How's this? 'vcskip' added to both "Greenford Naval HQ" and "Greenford_Station".

And, for good measure, the same done to "Redmond Naval HQ" and "Head_of_Jamaica_Station", the latter also having its id.label changed to "Officer Commanding #stown_name# Naval HQ". That ought to sort out the minor bug that when you go up to the office, the door is labelled "Head_of_Jamaica_Station" because someone used that for both "Locations[n].id" and "locations[n].id.label".

Attachments

• Oxbay.c
    90.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Redmond.c
    86.2 KB · Views: 94
How's this? 'vcskip' added to both "Greenford Naval HQ" and "Greenford_Station".
Makes a lot of sense to me. :woot

And, for good measure, the same done to "Redmond Naval HQ" and "Head_of_Jamaica_Station", the latter also having its id.label changed to "Officer Commanding #stown_name# Naval HQ". That ought to sort out the minor bug that when you go up to the office, the door is labelled "Head_of_Jamaica_Station" because someone used that for both "Locations[n].id" and "locations[n].id.label".
Even better! :onya

Back