• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

House rules

Monte Kristof

Powder Monkey
Good day everyones! The question's quiet simple! when you're starting a game. do you impose yourself any house rules? and what are they? I think house rules can make the game much more interesting. for example. not havinga man-o-war before X level, no matter what your nav. skill is, or anything that, to your fancy, make the game more interesting!

Most of the time house rules are made because of the game been to easy to fast or at least thats why i made my own personal set.

1. No sailing ships above that of my characters nav skill is even if my navigator has a hiogh enough skill for a higher classed ship. (This does make it a little more difficult but mostly it makes you sail the smaller ships for a longer period of time which is nice since you might not use any of the class 7 or 6 ships again)

2. Talent on as low as possible with the points been used on authority etc. (This drastically reduced how quick you rank up, so it makes you have to use the officers skills which adds more realism to the game).

3. Skill increase bar settings at far left when starting a new game. (I don't like to rank up fast and this really helps slow that down a long with the above done as well).

4. No selling ships. (want to get rich fast, well we all know selling ships does help which is why i do not do it).

5. RTBL on. (I know not everyone likes this but for me it increases the gameplay and difficulty since a single broadside of grapeshots isn't going to kill half the crew).

6. Realistic ship purchase on. (This makes it so if you want a trade ship like a Fleut etc you have to capture them, is you want a Frigate you have to capture them. Only small ships are available at any shipyard).

7. Realistic ship encounters on. (This goes hand in hand with realistic ship purchase since you will not see large ships that often and you won't see any when your rank is low. So it means you can't get your hands on a powerfull ship to early).

8. Realistic wind speed on. (Not a favourite i know but having a wind speed that isn't powerfull enough to move your ship for several hours can make battles very interesting and danagerous sinmce you don't want to be sitting in range of a ship that out guns you for to long taking crew loses and damage to both the sails and hull).

9. Realistic weights on, new feature. (This increases the weights of goods which adds much improved realism to the game and makes it harder to make a quick million so you can't dominate the caribbean as quickly as you can with this setting off).

10. Realistic loading times on. (Even now i think the cannons and culverines load to quick but it does make battles more realistic and more fun).

Thats it really, these make the game more interesting and difficult even on sailor settiong, i though play on Captain level which is hard at the start but like all difficulty levels it gets easier later on although a single shot can kill you and the eney crew take more damage and do more damage to you in combat so having good officer's is very important but not as important as having them stocked up on health and ammo with the best weapons you can find.

Yeah, I also play with RTBL on, with all weight realism and so on. and I like sailing a sloop or even a lugger for as long as i can (sometime for some mission though, a bigger ship is needed). I must admit though that, to compensate the far left xp gaining, i have talent at 10... I don't know why, but I like thinking my caracter as a gifted man (why would have he been elected as cap'n otherwise?) I didn't tought about no selling ships... I'll do that also. it's nice thing to make the game harder (though it's hard to slow down now, as I'm just level 3 and already stacked 200 000+ . For fun sake, i'll let it go down a bit, then tery stuff to make money making harder. i wanna experiance a hard sailor life!

All is on Admiral difficulty... so even on capturing small ship, my crew die pretty quickly.

Well, that was the life. But don't kill yourself. Find a fine line between hard but enjoyable.

i enjoy it quiet much. after being sunk by the flying dutchman, I found meself, of corse, with no money at all... after killing some bandit for the gov. I could afford a gunboat! and now, terror of the 7 seas, I roam the carribeans on a gunboat with a crew of 10 blood thirsty seadogs :))))))) Carying people from island to island and making a fortune from few pieces of 8! I considered it a new start and I imposed some rules :

No selling boats, money too easy that way
big ship only if i'm very high in the estime of a certain governor (so as to role play a promotion in the navy) otherwise, only class 6 to 5 maximum, most likly 6, as in real life, i'd be too poor to afford anything else)
I do not embark 200 days of food on board, as I want to have to resuply more realisticly
No double ration all the time, as a drunk crew would be completly unuseful
And try to play realisticly...

loads of fun :D Do you have some house rules?

I never load a game because I meet with unfavorable circumstances just like you cannot in life unless I meet my end of corse. You can always try to run.

I always keep my crew as happy as posable. Lots of rum and adventure.

I never throw men overboard and always welcome them into my crew.

I hate salivary and will free men as soon as I get the chance.

My favorite ships are frigates for battle and pinnaces for cargo.

Play cards or barrow money to get a foothold in the game.

Difficulty - Captain, experience and encounters medium, and all aspects of realism on.

I hope to play more and mod less someday because I have yet to complete a quest-line.

Back