• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

housecleaning

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
Been having a hard time lately so decided to put several topics in one post.

The install that I have been using for testing is broken. The way it broke is unusual. It was working well enough, and lasted much longer than any other install as far as game time. I was up to Admiral with most nations, which has never happened before. :)) Then I changed video card drivers. Bad idea! The oldest ones work better than the newest ones after properly cleaning out all of the garbage. Anyway, now that install ctds when trying to load a save. Any save. It also ctds when trying to start a new game. If I try to name the player, ship, or change from "player" to anything else it ctds when the "enter" key is pressed. Is there any way to salvage this install? I know, how can changing drivers do that. I have one new install, starting from the cd's running now.

Also, check out those sails. And boxsize message.

You could try removing the "options" file from your main game folder and see if that helps.

What about those sails? Do you like them or did they show up randomly and you think they're not nation/period-accurate? :?

Options? Will try that.

Oh, those sails are just me being a jerk. I found a way to put sails with emblems on ships that normally don't get them. The Surprise is supposed to have blank sails. :wp

Oh! I have now gotten those messages about boxfiles in 3 different installs. The install that just died had them, and then due to some very recent changes they went away. That screenie is from a base beta14 patch3.1 install. I got it in Stallion's install last night also.

You could try removing the "options" file from your main game folder and see if that helps.

That was the problem! :bow Specifically, it was the controls part that was messed up. There is another set of control button settings somewhere. Removing the "options" folder got me into the game with strange control settings that I have seen before when it messes up. It took many tries with quits and loading the game to get the controls working normally again.

I am so glad to have this install working again because it has all of the wip stuff in it. Now back to being a lab rat. :boom

Good luck, mate! I really don't understand those boxsize errors though, since I've never seen them ever and I don't think anybody else has either.
I did find the code that puts the messages on the screen, but it shouldn't ever be triggered. Especially not with stock game ships. :wacko

I'm messing around with video card drivers again, and got the lab rat install non functional. Or rather, the old quest where I'm a Vice Admiral is stuck. I started a new quest in that install that works pretty well, with just the controls being messed up. In the old one I can run around on land and do and go anywhere ok. I can board my ship and go to the captains cabin or the cargo hold ok. But when it is time to go to sea......ctd. :modding I'm a little attached to this install as no other has lasted this long.

Ayup. They are pretty short. I went from the dock to the ship, and from the deck to......ctd.

AGH! This bizarre stuff again!!!
Code:
SEA: sealogin loading island Oxbay
SEA: added pchar to sea
All slots in AIGroups are used, need to resize array!!!
Group_FindOrCreateGroup sGroupID = CrOxbay3_1, can't create group 
SEA: Did CRs
SEA: Error: You assigned allied character Mik Wilker with ID Blaze to quest group... This is an error!
SEA: Error: You assigned allied character Othon Champlitte with ID Enc_Officer_8 to quest group... This is an error!
SEA: Error: You assigned allied character Obele Hoppe with ID Enc_Officer_0 to quest group... This is an error!
SEA: Error: Sea_LoginGroup sGroupID = CrOxbay3, but group doesn't contain any quest ships!
SEA: I am deleting empty group 'CrOxbay3'
SEA: Did any groups
SEA: added ships
I wished I knew how this was triggered. :modding

Sowee. :cry It might be that whole install is messed up. I started a new game on it and it has goofy things going on also, mainly controls related. It was running so well up to that point too. So long old friend! :walkplank

That whole install is corrupted I believe. I brought another install based on the torrent mostly up to speed, with just a few of the latest things missing, and it is running sweeet. It even gets better fps.

This seems to be a common error that can start popping up with anyone and isn't install-related.
The big question is: WHAT triggers it to pop up??? :wacko:

No idea. In the past when that error popped up it was already losing islands. This time all islands were still there. I had recently stopped at Cozumel to check if it was still there. It was.
Before I was on a timer. I had enough game time to do the NH quest if I rushed and did not do anything else. Or I could do the Strange Things quest. Or the Elizabeth Shaw quest. But no more than one before I ran out of time and it became unplayable. This time I did Elizabeth Shaw, Strange Things, Angelique Moulin, treasure quests, and lots of general wandering around as well as being well along on NH when it just quit.

I don't understand how this is organized. What group is the player group in if not the quest group?

Back