• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

how are you guys defending port royale?

tcp

Landlubber
You get penalized for any preparatory stops between guvs and the port, but to take it on with a basic raiding fleet (I have a corvette as flag, frigate as second) is suicide. Even going out immediately the forts are borderline useless, since they're on life support. Is this just yet another quest you have to prepare for by building a five ship, class2 fleet before you get the thing? I'm assuming that's the case. Any trickss you guys found to make this beatable just in the natural flow of things?

<!--quoteo(post=337795:date=Jul 17 2009, 03:28 PM:name=Dennisbeard)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dennisbeard @ Jul 17 2009, 03:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337795"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How did you even take Port Royale? Can you tell me step by step what you did to capture it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, this is the English governors mission to single handedly defend the Spanish attack on Port Royale. They come with 7 or so Class 1 ships. You pretty much have to go straight from getting the mission into combat, and woe be unto you who do not have everything you need. And since the AIs tightened up the shop on me, I of course can't get what I need to fight. Obviously to do this I'll have to backtrack and prepare for the mission in advance...again. Sigh...

As for taking it, I can't imagine it's much harder than taking Santiago. I drug in 3 ships loaded with about 500 plus men and approached via the lighthouse landing and attack on land. You do that by approaching the city gate from the outside, and opening the "talk to" option and selecting "attack nearest city" option.

<!--quoteo(post=337801:date=Jul 17 2009, 05:15 PM:name=tcp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tcp @ Jul 17 2009, 05:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337801"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=337795:date=Jul 17 2009, 03:28 PM:name=Dennisbeard)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dennisbeard @ Jul 17 2009, 03:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337795"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How did you even take Port Royale? Can you tell me step by step what you did to capture it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, this is the English governors mission to single handedly defend the Spanish attack on Port Royale. They come with 7 or so Class 1 ships. You pretty much have to go straight from getting the mission into combat, and woe be unto you who do not have everything you need. And since the AIs tightened up the shop on me, I of course can't get what I need to fight. Obviously to do this I'll have to backtrack and prepare for the mission in advance...again. Sigh...

As for taking it, I can't imagine it's much harder than taking Santiago. I drug in 3 ships loaded with about 500 plus men and approached via the lighthouse landing and attack on land. You do that by approaching the city gate from the outside, and opening the "talk to" option and selecting "attack nearest city" option.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
What I did in port royale was attack the fort and then I attacked it with a landing party and then I attacked the city. Then when I talked with the governor there was only a loot option. So I am not even supposed to attack the fort?

I did the mission by buying a bunch of ships and filling them with as much crew as they could carry. Then I took my Dog of War and went from one enemy ship to another, boarding them, and returning to my waiting carrier ships to replenish crew.

<!--quoteo(post=337811:date=Jul 17 2009, 05:21 PM:name=Sordid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sordid @ Jul 17 2009, 05:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337811"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I did the mission by buying a bunch of ships and filling them with as much crew as they could carry. Then I took my Dog of War and went from one enemy ship to another, boarding them, and returning to my waiting carrier ships to replenish crew.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that's how I wanted to do it, but I just didn't have the resources to pull it off at that time. I did manage to beat it, but that was because I had to figure out the fort in the distance is still very functional and not the smoking ruin it looks when you first enter battle. I actually beat the entire armada with a single corvette! After a dozen tries, I made a beeline to the fort to get under the protection of its guns but also leave the pursing battleships against the wind (my one and only advantage here). i had loaded up on regular cannon shot and lots of planks and sailcloth in case I screwed up and needed to repair. I found a sweetspot against the rocks, raised my sails so I'd be stationary, and then wound up doing what I like to call the Ballet of Death, basically spinning around and shooting shot at the ships who could barely move against the wind. It took forever (about 17 hours of in-game time), but I emerged having sunk all the ships (with the help of the fort), and maybe ten casualties. My ship only needed a small repair for the damage I incurred getting out to the sweet spot.

I just finished the second to last mission of taking the two spanish towns. Strangely enough, this was probably the easiest mission of the game for me by far and the most stable. N glitches, bugs, hidden meanings, crashes, or bad instructions. It was awesome. Best mission in the game so far, although that's not saying much, since I've long since abandoned side quests and anything piratical.

Yeah, the fort can be a huge help in this mission, but it's all about how lucky you are. If the wind is against the Spanish, you can just sit and watch them get sunk one by one. If it's in their favor, they overwhelm the fort and there's no damn thing you can do about it.

Back