• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

How do i become a modeler?

Beneke

Landlubber
im ready to learn. i have read superdurnius's tutorial and i understood about half of it. i know what programs i need to download etc. just some questions. i think i should start making the model like he said. but i dont want to edit simple things. i think i should start out with a sword or something else thats easy, but i really want to edit a ship. once i do can anyone tell mehow to put it in the game? i heard something about high poly amounts (or something like that..) i just want to know what the best programs are. also does modeling take up a lot of space? my computers not exactly a gaming computer, although i will say that for a laptop its pretty fast i have a mediumish nvidia if that helps.... so i just install the programs and follow his instructions right? i really want to start helping. :will

A) There are 3 main programs: Autodesk Maya, Autodesk 3dsMax and Autodesk Softimage... All of these are alternatives and mostly notable difference is interface and way you contol it. Almost all modeling posibilityes are the same (all of these 3 are owned by Autodesk :D)

B) Start modeling from simple things... Sword is perfect thing for you... Completely import it into a game with no errors, then start work with something bigger...

C) Modeling doesn't take much space... Program does: from ~0.5GB to >7GB. Depends from installed version...

D) You've read my tutor... That's good... But that is just for those who already have the model... To make the model is most tryckiest part... I use Autodesk Softimage 2011. If you'll deside to use this as modeling program, feel free to ask me some advices...

So, if you just trying to learn modeling now, don't bother with tools in this site... Deside what program you'll use... Deside what you want to TRY to make... Try to make it... And when you'll think that model is complete, then start bothering about polycounts, tools, conversions, plug-ins and etc...

Thanks for the fast reply. i guess ill download that program and look for a read me or just figure it out once i look at it thanks :piratesahoy!

Wait a minute... i thought it was freeware..
hmmm is there anything else i can use preferably free? i dont want to resort to OTHER methods :p:

EDIT: I want to mod coas... im getting potc in about 3 weeks... actually im buying it on ebay in 3 weeks so ill probably get it in 4 weeks...

But in the mean time i want to practice modding on coas. i already have combined mod 3 :b:

You can download free version of Softimage here:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=13571257

This version is called Autodesk Softimag Mod Tool. This version was created to help moders to edit 3D content for Source Engine games (such as Half-Life 2), but it is as universal as the other 3D programs...

If you don't like this one, try googling one of these names... These are Free Open source 3D programs... But they might be limitles and I won't be able to support you with them...
Art of Illusion · Blender · Geist3D · K-3D · MeshLab · Misfit Model 3d · OpenFX · Seamless3d · Wings 3D

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers

this is just what i needed! this sounds more smple for a begginer :yes

well thanks for your time

You need Maya for exporting though, but we've got that. :cheeky

Modeling for PotC and CoAS is nicely compatible. :wp

You need Maya for exporting though, but we've got that. :cheeky

So, if you just trying to learn modeling now, don't bother with tools in this site... Deside what program you'll use... Deside what you want to TRY to make... Try to make it... And when you'll think that model is complete, then start bothering about polycounts, tools, conversions, plug-ins and etc...

Hi, i'm quit new on modelling, i started modelling on the hms ajax, now i'm making the creole, if you want to start with a ship i'll suggest you to start with a schooner or a sloop, that are easier and faster to make then a bigger one... I use google sketchup that, for me, is the easiest, the only think it's that you have to use a converter like deep exploration... I hope you can enjoy with modelling:)

My suggestion will be to start with blade. It is even esear to model than sloop. Knowing that he just started to model, it's the best option for him.

Yes, i'm in accord with you :onya

I think only that he may start with he want, but if he hasn't got any modelling experience the blade or object like this is the better choice...

i downloaded Mod tool by autodesk like sd recommended but i found it too complicated. :modding im trying sketchup now, but i dont know how to import the model's gm files? any help oskar? what do yo do when you model something? :8q

try serching for some BASIC TUTORIALS in google...
Try searching tutorials for mod tool. Dont't think, that you'll simply learn this program by just looking at it... But is much esear than Maya or 3DsMax (used by everyone else in this forum...)

EDIT:
Here are tutorials for Mod Tool (look them all in this order):
http://www.moddb.com/games/half-life-2/tutorials/softimage-mod-tool-75-tutorial-part-1-navigation
http://www.moddb.com/games/half-life-2/tutorials/softimage-mod-tool-75-tutorial-part-2-basic-shapes-and-options
http://www.moddb.com/games/half-life-2/tutorials/softimage-mod-tool-75-tutorial-part-3-vertices-edges-and-polygons-oh-my
http://www.moddb.com/games/half-life-2/tutorials/softimage-mod-tool-75-tutorial-part-4-extruding-and-grouping
http://www.moddb.com/games/half-life-2/tutorials/xsi-softimage-mod-tool-75-tutorial-part-5-texturing-basics

These videos ir made for Half-Life 2, but these parts I've linked shows all the basics how to control the Mod Tool

If you want to import a model in sketchup from the gm you have to convert it with tool in x or in wrml format, then with a conversion program, for example i use deep exploration 5.7, that if you don't want to buy you can find in torrent, and with it you save it in 3ds format, than you have only to import it with sketchup. Sketchup import it like a component so you have to explode it... For exporting you have to explode all the model, so you don't have to have components on the model, then you save it in a folder where you want. Then you open it with deep exploration and you save it in maya format, ma or mb. You open it with maya, you have to select a part of the model and on the render stats, that you can find on the right you have to uncheck double sided, when you have done it with each part of your model you have to create a locator, you have to remane it BaseLocator, then you have to select all the model and the locator and push the parent button. Then you have to export the model with the exporter that you have installed in maya with the plugin and you have your gm model. Then you have to convert the textures in tga.tx format, you have to use the covertertx that you can download here. The last is scaling the model and put the locators, you have to done it with tool. I hope you can understand, if you don't undertand something ask:)

thanks i tried deep exploration in torrent, but it gets 0 seeds and peers so it wont download at all :modding ... i guess i have to find another one

thanks i tried deep exploration in torrent, but it gets 0 seeds and peers so it wont download at all :modding ... i guess i have to find another one

Just download Maya 5.0...end of story...it's what the producers of the game used :shrug

I mean deep exploration:)

Ahem...I don´t think that´s a good idea, being illegal and all ;)

Beneke, just download Blender 2.5, do a couple of beginner tutorials and see if 3d-modelling really is your cup of tea.

Back