• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help How Do I get a letter of marque from a nation that hates me.

Ralof45

Landlubber
So I have been doing the "Assassin" questline. Im in "The cannons of Mona" mission where I need to get tasks from the Port Admiral in Antigua. Problem is he will only give me tasks if I get a letter of marque from England but England hates me. Their cannons don't shoot me on sight but they do dislike me. I tried to go to an English colony to see if I could make peace with the English but the governor of the colony I went to, only told me to leave immediately or else he would call the guards.

So basically I would like to know if there is a way to improve my relations with the English in order to get a letter of marque.

Looking at the governor's dialog code, it seems he'll only allow you to buy amnesty if your reputation is "Neutral" or better. So one way to make peace with a governor is to improve your reputation. That's not your relations with England, it's whether you're good or evil. Be nice to people in the streets.

Alternatively, try visiting a pirate colony. There you should be able to find a diplomat who, for a price, will make peace for you with any nation. Try Nevis - you should be able to find a diplomat in Pirate Settlement, then go round the corner to Charlestown to buy your letter of marque.

Thanks for the quick response, Im guessing they consider me evil because of the "Worm in the apple" quest that had me kill a bunch of people around the archipelago. Im certainly going to change my ways and stop pickpocketing NPC's awell.

Thanks for the quick response, Im guessing they consider me evil because of the "Worm in the apple" quest that had me kill a bunch of people around the archipelago. Im certainly going to change my ways and stop pickpocketing NPC's awell.
I think after doing it enough times you stop losing rep. I'm not sure though, what I am sure is that you stop gaining reputation.
Attacking people that have no weapon drawn can affect your rep, and also some quests can give you more or less rep, in that case being the mission may have something to do with it?
But I don't think the reputation makes any nation hostile to you - that is dependant from your actions against the nation. If you have been flying the jolly roger or any other flag and sinking english ships, that would make them hostile. Some quests make nations hate you though - was there something in that quest that inolved the british?
I can't say for certain since I didn't play this storyline yet, as I am nearly done with the Ardent one. And is pickpocketing worth it? I never managed to do it, seems pretty hard to pull it off.

Reputation and international relations are completely unrelated. Attacking an enemy's ships turns that nation hostile to you, regardless of whether you're Hero, Horror of the High Seas, or anything in between. Conversely, pick-pocketing or random murder drops your reputation, doing nice things raises your reputation, and neither have any effect on your status with any nation.

The "Assassin" storyline involves being both a spy and a privateer in the service of Spain. As England is one of the countries at war with Spain, you're quite likely to attack English ships - the story doesn't actively require it but does encourage you to do some freelance privateering to boost both your skills and your money. Even if you avoid attacking English ships, Portugal is allied to England, so attacking Portuguese ships will also turn England against you. Therefore you almost certainly need to buy amnesty from England, either from a governor or from a pirate diplomat.

How to pick pockets without losing reputation: talk to people in the street. Sometimes they offer advice. Watch for the on-screen message "This meeting has really enlightened you..." Sometimes it says "This meeting has really lightened you..." which means the person has just picked your pocket. You can then pick his pocket back and not lose reputation. (But, as with regular pick-pocketing, if he catches you then he turns hostile and so do all the other civilians in the area, which means you have a fight on your hands and the opportunity to loot all the bodies if you survive.)

Back