• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

how do i make this dialog file work in the game

Calico Jack

Sailor Apprentice
i dosent work
dont know why in game nothing apears

here is the character suposed to talk

// Willem Dafoe -- towngirl4
ch.old.name = "Willem";
ch.old.lastname = "Dafoe";
ch.name = TranslateString("", "Willem");
ch.lastname = TranslateString("", "Dafoe");
ch.id = "Willem Dafoe";
ch.model = "Mansveldt";
ch.sex = "man";
LAi_NoRebirthEnable(ch);
ch.sound_type = "male_citizen";
ch.location = "Douwesen_town";
ch.location.group = "merchant";
ch.location.locator = "merchant2";
ch.Dialog.Filename = "Bebado e supersticioso_dialog";
ch.nation = PIRATE;
ch.rank = 1;
ch.reputation = "None";
ch.experience = "0";
ch.skill.Leadership = "1";
ch.skill.Fencing = "1";
ch.skill.Sailing = "1";
ch.skill.Accuracy = "1";
ch.skill.Cannons = "1";
ch.skill.Grappling = "1";
ch.skill.Repair = "1";
ch.skill.Defence = "1";
ch.skill.Commerce = "1";
ch.skill.Sneak = "1";
ch.money = "1";
LAi_SetStayType(ch); // Petros: Was LAi_SetMerchantType(ch);
LAi_SetLoginTime(ch, 0.6, 22.0);//MAXIMUS: women near town hall at night look very strange
// ch.questchar = true;//MAXIMUS: identifier for captives, commented out by Grey Roger to allow name to change
LAi_group_MoveCharacter(ch, "UNHAPPY_WOMEN"); // Grey Roger: giving them their own AI group prevents confusion from fights with other groups
AddGameCharacter(n, ch);

english is no my main lanquage so sorry for the terrible english in the dialog

Attachments

• Bebado e supersticioso_dialog.c
    3.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Bebado e supersticioso_dialog.h
    3.6 KB · Views: 101
In "Bebado e supersticioso_dialog.h", this line may be too long:
Code:
"I didn't finish sailor, after we fished the barrel as we tried to open it, The captain watched through a spyglass And we heard him catch his breathAnd we saw the dark storm brewing Became a wall of death, He screamed, Turn this ship around me boys This storm wants a battle And it is certain that they were outguned! That's when we saw that the galleon was the one leading this dark storm, The thunder growled like demons And the lightning stabbed the waves, The Devil Ship she leapt towards us Riding fury from the dammed to hell, but for good or bad our ship  crest a giant wave And crashed to the trough below and the crew held on to what they could we were damned if we let go, The rain and sea and storm winds
Crashed against our ship with wrath, And from the deck of that cursed shipWe could hear his laugh or....",

But this line is definitely going to cause trouble:
Code:
"it was then that we sighted the land. It became a race with time, "Risk everything!" the captain shouted "It's the only chance we have!" Salvation if we can And our souls if we're caught, The storm was all around us And the devil's ship cut our wind The beast almost turned And we saw our mighty mast bend, And every man wanted the ship forward. As soon as I woke up in the harbor, wreckage of what used to be our ship was scattered on the beach, and only I of the crew survived to tell the story, I don't know what happened to the rest, but I assure you they are not well.",
Remember, quote marks show the beginning and end of a dialog line. So the game thinks that line is "it was then that we sighted the land. It became a race with time, " and then gets confused about the rest. Use apostrophes as single quote marks:
Code:
"it was then that we sighted the land. It became a race with time, 'Risk everything!' the captain shouted 'It's the only chance we have!' Salvation if we can And our souls if we're caught, The storm was all around us And the devil's ship cut our wind The beast almost turned And we saw our mighty mast bend, And every man wanted the ship forward. As soon as I woke up in the harbor, wreckage of what used to be our ship was scattered on the beach, and only I of the crew survived to tell the story, I don't know what happened to the rest, but I assure you they are not well.",

upload_2021-9-24_14-11-35.png

still this happens

Can you find the log files "compile.log", "system.log" and "error.log"?

Edit: I've just noticed something else. The character definition seems to be a near exact copy of the women standing outside the residence, including all the comments. But this line is probably wrong:
Code:
ch.Dialog.Filename = "Bebado e supersticioso_dialog";
See what happens if you change that to:
Code:
ch.Dialog.Filename = "Bebado e supersticioso_dialog.c";
You'll need to start a new game for this to have any effect.

Last edited:
Back