• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

HOW HARD IS DIS GAME DEN?

Ben Gunn

Sailor Apprentice
I didn't get dis game. 'cos de wite-ups I's read said it be impossible to complete?????? :gday

Its not thats its hard, playing the game with high difficulty settings can be very challanging but with easy settings the game is not challanging apart from for the first month or two when you don't have much piasters or if playing with CMV3.1.5 pieces of eight.

I never read the reviews, if i'm in doubt i try the demo (if available). The reason they say it can't be completed is because it has a lot of bugs which many have already been fixed and the game is much more stable now and the other reason is because the game its self never ends (my favourite kind of game).

My suggestion is give the game a chance, play the game with no mods and when you get bored play with the mods if your into these kind of games you'll most likely be hooked, and if your not into these games you could find yourself getting hooked. xD:

No harm in trying it out (not sure if there is a demo available for thisn game or not) if there is try it and see what you think. Reviews can be some what harsh and many times i have read reviews and the person or people who wrote it had only played the game for a few ours if that some had watched other's play the game. On youtub there's a guy who's made some vid's called Lets Play Age Of Pirates 2 his name's jefmajor and i think he did a good job with those video's gave a lot of usefull info. I think he made something like 80+ video's just for COAS. :woot

Here's the first video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFssTeumT1g&feature=related

It is well worth picking up Ben Gunn, As far as I know, there is no demo for this game, but you can get it for fairly cheap now. I don't pay much attention to a lot of the reviews, most of the review sites out there won't give a game a good review unless the developer pays for it. If they don't, then most of those reviewers give it a 10 minute trial and write up something based on what they experienced. The game is not perfect, but the fine modders of Seward did an excellent job with this one mate! They packed a whooping lot of content into this game! I have been playing it for over a year myself, and still haven't seen everything they packed in here!

The crashes are a bit overstated, the game does crash occasionally, but not near as much as some have said. As long as you install outside of the default Program Files directory, and turn off some badly written codecs, the game should be fairly stable. There are some bugs, but most of them are not game breaking, and our mods take care of a lot of them. Luke & Co. have done a fantastic job with the mods!

If you have played POTC, the gameplay is very similar, it is based on a very much improved version of the engine. There are some major differences however that make this game quite a bit more challenging, the biggest of which is the P.I.R.A.T.S. system that is used to set your skills. I won't go into great detail mate, but if you try and sail a ship that is above your current navigation skill level, your other skills will take major hit, even when you are on land. I think this is where most people say the game is to hard, well, when you have a -40 to all your other skills because you are trying to sail a frigate when you only have the navigation skills to sail a sloop, that does make the game almost impossible to play.

If you do decide to give it a go mate, I do recommend what Luke said, play a bit first without the mods till you get a feel for the game. There is an endless supply of things to do in this game! If you do find yourself getting a bit bored, chasing down the various gold fleets is almost as much fun as hunting down the Spanish Treasure Fleet in Sea Dogs! :onya

Hmmmmm! Yer comment 'ere seems t'be fair enough shipmate! I's thinks dat I's will give de game a try lads. Let ye nose ow i's get on dere. :yes

I really think you will like it Ben, the beginning does have a bit of a learning curve, especially if you play at harder levels. Once ya get used to it though, it really is a lot of fun. The Peter Blood story line is the toughest, even on easy levels it is very challenging! It is also however, also the most rewarding of the three!

If you run in to any problems, we are always more than happy to help. Fair winds mate, and good hunting!

Awesome! :woot

I'm going to bookmark that let's play.. when I get the chance to finally start playing CoAS (Argh! still haven't started it yet! :modding I have like 50 games in my computer! xD: )

Darn.. I think I'm going to play it right now! :dance ARR!!

Back