• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

How to bug my parents to buy me an electric guitar?

Pirate Fret

Landlubber
You pirates are a helpful lot. Your creative minds will help me!

Okay, so I play a guitar. I LOVE it. And I feel it's time to get an electric one. I can't play a lot of stuff on my acoustic, because that's impossible. It's a few times harder, and will never sound the same.

My friend got his electric after 1 month or so. Lucky him. He gets stuff for studying. I don't. And I'm excellent. Without studying for more than 1h. I feel like I should get it.

Okay, the guitar and amp cost about 644 dollars (I used a converter). The amp alone is about 169 dollars. I have about 237 dollars in saving. I don't know how I managed to get that much, considering I don't have an allowance. I started bugging my parents to buy it for me (and I'll add my 237 dollars, of course). I'm hoping to get it on summer (which just started).

Any tips? I frequently carry stuff around with my dad (and sometimes I get some money). I just got into the best high school in whole Croatia. In the 8th grade, I had all A's. What more could I add? :shrug

Thanks in advance! :cheers

This is a tough one Pirate Fret! I had one of these when I was a kid, and it drove my parents crazy, although the fact that I could never learn to play the damned thing probably helped! xD:

You might be able to find a used one at a Pawn shop or second hand store considerably cheaper than buying a brand new one, that's where mine eventually ended up! :cheeky

Good luck mate!

Promise them you won't use it to make noise...? :rolleyes:

Just kidding. But seriously, I haven't the foggiest how to help yo on this one. :(

tell them your playing is improving

then show them your quality

ask them for a Martin (no plywood version)

Once they get over the sticker-shock

they might consider the alternate path.

As someone who has bought a few musical instruments over my time, and have plenty of friends who are very good with the guitar, let me give you a few pointers....

1) Even tho a song may seem impossible on an acoustic, it may not be.
An old friend of mine can plays a lot of rock and roll, and heavy metal, he has learned all he's music on an acoustic first. Its made him an awsome electric guitar player.

2) Buy an electric pick up for your acoustic.
It may not be the best way to amplify your sound, but think of it...After buying an amp, and you're going to want a pedal (trust me on that) yer lookin at some pretty hefty cash...so an electric pick up may be a good alternative, and will tide u over.

3) Get a job.
Again, not the best way to get a free electric, but if you offer to pay for half, you may have a new guitar by the end of the summer, and you might be able to convince them to get a more expensive one

The main concern for all parents buying musically instruments, is the concern that they're kid isnt going to stick with it, and they're going to have a 600$ dust collector. However, if you play often, and show your interest, they may be more willing to buy all the gear. Also, be sure to mention that you're amp has a headphone jack, (and be sure get one with a headphone jack...trust me) so that when you are learning a song, they wont have to sit through the noise ;)

I do suggest you look at second hand places, I know there is a place where I live where you can buy both an amp and guitar for $250 AU (around $212 US) :shrug

Thanks for all the tips guys. Unfortunately, when it comes to internet buying, my parents just won't go for it. They don't trust any site that asks for credit cards. And that's basically every site. They wouldn't even trust Microsoft. :shrug

I play every day, and everyone knows I'm into music. My father plays a bass for more than 30 years, and my sister plays a piano. No members of the family would be annoyed by the nice addicting sound of distortion. Maybe my sister, but I doubt it. :onya
My father loves hard rock, and so do I. Sometimes I just suck up to him with some Led Zeppelin or Whitesnake. Stairway to Heaven wins! Love playing that one.

My friend has got a half-electric guitar, and honestly, it blows. It's just not it.

I wouldn't want to get a less expensive guitar, because this is really cheap. If I go cheaper, it would suck. You get what you pay for. Although this is Croatia, so I'm getting ripped off for probably 100-200 dollars. :modding

I'll do some stuff for money for the whole summer, and I know I'll get them into buying it. Somehow. One day.

It might help (among other stuff) that I'm 18. on the list of people that got into Croatia's best high school. :onya

EDIT: Just got about 68 dollars. That means I'm about 17 dollars short to having half of the money required. In Croatian Kunas, I now have 1800HRK, the stuff costs 3800HRK, and I'm 100HRK short to having half of the money. :onya

Fairly easy, I'd say:
The sound of silence with earplugs vs spanish guitar fretnoise and clanking chords. They choose! If they dont help you out, a spanish is cheaper and you´ll buy one yourself. If they have'nt left already for the store to buy you an electric, they are made of wood..

I have an update! If you happen to care, my dad promised to buy me an electric this summer! I just have to be nice and work whenever I can. Awesome. :onya

I have an update! If you happen to care, my dad promised to buy me an electric this summer! I just have to be nice and work whenever I can. Awesome. :onya
now

if he's a good dad . . . everything's fine :will

if he's a crafty dad . . . . .

Guitar -- ok

Amp -- not specified. :whipa

He's alright, he'll get the amp too, I know that. If he doesn't buy it, he'll probably lend me one, he has a band. The guitarist has some mean amps. :cheers

Ah always helps when your dad knows what your on about :rofl

If it was my dad he would realise I needed an amp as well and would only get a guitar

Ah always helps when your dad knows what your on about :rofl

If it was my dad he would realise I needed an amp as well and would only get a guitar
but seeing as dadums is a musician

makes you wonder why he said no in the first place

maybe (MUCH) more practice needs to be scheduled

Back