• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

How To Change Cannon Trade Prices?

Luke159

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
Since increasing the prices of the cannons i have noticed a smart person would be able to figure out how to make a huge profit by selling all cannons and ship buying a new ship and doing the same to that ship, till they have all but 1 ship left and moving on to anoyther town and doing the same there. I( looked into this and noticed not only was i making a profit i was able to afford class 2 ships even though i had not done a single merchant run and my rank was only 8. So to combat thisproblem i want to reduce the money you get for selling the cannons back to the shipyards, i don't really want to reduce the prices of the cannons but if its possible to reduce the amount you get from the shipyard for them then that would help alot.

Thanks in advance
Luke.

Wouldn't it be better for cannons to be included in the price of a ship? Because the way it is in the vanilla game, cannons aren't included in either the buying or selling price, which I personally think is ridiculous.
Alternately, it might also be possible to make ships you buy come without cannons.

Wouldn't it be better for cannons to be included in the price of a ship? Because the way it is in the vanilla game, cannons aren't included in either the buying or selling price, which I personally think is ridiculous.
Alternately, it might also be possible to make ships you buy come without cannons.

Yes i agree it doesn't make sense why the ships prices are not effected by cannons, however it would need an experienced modder to fix that i can't do it myself. Thats why i asked if there was a way to reduce the selling price of cannons as a temerary fix for now.

I agree with this too. Also I haven't noticed a big price difference when selling badly damaged ships compared to ships of the same class that are less damaged. I would like to see a bigger penalty for selling ships that have no sails and are half sunk. This would encourage me to purchase more planks and sailcloth and to spend more officer ship abillites towards repair skills rather then defense. I dont know if repair skills will work for companions though because my character needs a carpenter before I can use them.

One thing I always do before I sell a ship though is to remove the cannons and sell them first. A very profitable side trade for those who dont know about it.

Luke, I actually like the idea of gunrunning. My research has been turning up some really interesting results. I wish we could bring in bronze guns again like the old AOP had. The bronze guns would be lighter (more cargo capacity) and easier to handle(faster rate of fire), they would blow up way less and they would be 20 times as expensive. DeRuyter and other powerful Admirals insisted their entire ships were equipped with bronze guns, so Zeven Provincien would have gold colored guns, not black iron ones.

Ok, here's some thoughts from a historical perspective. The guns should be expensive. They should not be plentiful in the Carribean forcing you to take them from captured ships more than from shipyards. The Dutch shipyards would have them in the greatest quantities and have the larger guns available. The French would have none as they completely relied on Amsterdam for both munitions and ordinance in those days. The English might have them, but only for sale to English Captains. Parliament passed laws forbidding selling English guns. (Elizabeth prohibited them from Catholic countries - which made the Dutch traders even richer). Later, the English navy sucked up so many resources that deforestation occurred and they had to import everything just to build guns. Because they couldn't meet their own supply problems they had to import guns as well. The Spanish ports would have guns, but not plentiful and extremely expensive. Also these would be guns they had most likely bought from the Dutch or the Swedes.

Interestingly enough the Dutch pretty much started the modern arms trade. They were so desperate to meet everyone's demands that they pretty much founded, built, owned and operated the German foundries at Wetzlar and Asslar. They founded and exported the labor to start the Swedish Gun industry which eventually became the best in Europe. They also founded and exported the technical labor to start the Russian Gunworks at Tula.

Sorry for yet again another dissertation. Probably doesn't really help us with the current problems here. :dance

MK

Since increasing the prices of the cannons i have noticed a smart person would be able to figure out how to make a huge profit by selling all cannons and ship buying a new ship and doing the same to that ship, till they have all but 1 ship left and moving on to anoyther town and doing the same there. I( looked into this and noticed not only was i making a profit i was able to afford class 2 ships even though i had not done a single merchant run and my rank was only 8. So to combat thisproblem i want to reduce the money you get for selling the cannons back to the shipyards, i don't really want to reduce the prices of the cannons but if its possible to reduce the amount you get from the shipyard for them then that would help alot.

Thanks in advance
Luke.

Go to ...Program Files\Playlogic\Age of Pirates 2\Program\CANNONS
and open there file "Cannons_ini.c"

Edit lines: "rCannon.Cost =... ;"
Thats it :)

Sorry for yet again another dissertation. Probably doesn't really help us with the current problems here. :dance
Well I think it's an awesome idea. I like the Mythbusters motto, if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. Screw stopgap measures, let's do something grand.

Thanks in advance
Luke.

Go to ...Program Files\Playlogic\Age of Pirates 2\Program\CANNONS
and open there file "Cannons_ini.c"

Edit lines: "rCannon.Cost =... ;"
Thats it :)

Thanks but thats why the problem started. in the Vanilla game the cannons was far too easy to buy at the start and needed to have there prices increased which is now done but the bad side is you make a large profit from buying a ship, sellings its guns and buying another ship and doing the same to that, i bourght every ship from Port Of Spain up to Charlestown selling there guns and then the ships making almost 1 million and that was within 3 day's of the game start date. I would increase the buy prices for the cannons if i knew how to lower the sale price. I might have an idea where to look hopefully this will work then that will cut this down and mean you can't buy a cannon and sell it at a profit at the same port hence you could still make a profit by selling it at another port which is what would have happened in real life.

MK, once again you give us great idea's but i don't know how to allow the ability to strip a captured ship of her guns without first making her part of your fleet, in real life the captains would have stripped the ships of everything and sank her, i guess for now that could be done just need to make sure you have a captain at the ready all the time, the amount of cannons available at shipyards must be able to be edited somewhere but where and how many are available at each nation is something i don't think can be done without a modder doing some serious work on new code lines etc. :modding

Thanks Sordid and Luke, I agree 100 percent!!! :dance All we can do is learn and try things and share our results and hope others will come along and be interested in helping us too. I've already screwed up my test version badly today trying out cockeyed things. :modding

MK

Well I don't exactly have COAS installed at the moment, seeing as my computer's been giving me a lot of trouble, so I doubt I'll be of much help anytime soon.

Back