• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

How to create a good fleet?

SessionExpired

Sailor Apprentice
Hello,

I was wondering if someone can tell me how to create a fleet of ships.
Explaining what "stats" i need, What ships would be the best to use, Where to get certain ships,
What level you need to be. Everytime i come to buying a new ship and such i set someone as a captain and then it doesent have enough crew members and then i start to get confused and end up selling the darn thing.

So can someone shed some light on this?

Hello,

Explaining what "stats" i need, What ships would be the best to use, Where to get certain ships,
What level you need to be. Everytime i come to buying a new ship and such i set someone as a captain and then it doesent have enough crew members and then i start to get confused and end up selling the darn thing.

building a fleet is actually quite expencive. the question is though, what do u want your fleet to do. as for myself, i generally have just a boat to float around to help carry extra supplies, or loot for me (in case i have trouble getting to town) so, realisticly, i dont need any good stats. but, if u want to build a military type fleet, look for people who are skilled with cannoneering, and navagation. the doctor ability would be a good - 3rd. the stats being on the officers should be 100 navigation 100 accuracy - and good ship def aswell.

Hello,

building a fleet is actually quite expencive. the question is though, what do u want your fleet to do. as for myself, i generally have just a boat to float around to help carry extra supplies, or loot for me (in case i have trouble getting to town) so, realisticly, i dont need any good stats. but, if u want to build a military type fleet, look for people who are skilled with cannoneering, and navagation. the doctor ability would be a good - 3rd. the stats being on the officers should be 100 navigation 100 accuracy - and good ship def aswell.

Any suggestions on the type of Ships?
My current ship is the Class 1 Ship.
I'm looking for a sort of, Military fleet but also i want a good cargo space from looting and such.
Since cannon balls, powder, etc take up quite allot of space. (I buy massive amounts) so i want extra ships to keep loot. - Any sudgested ships?

if u dun mind the funny look of lineship, i suggest u get that. Or if u have dog of war, upgrade it to the teeth. When u have a military fleet, obviously u wan to plunder big squadrons. So u need a very fast ship so that u can ferry loots among your ships. I used to try with manowar, but it wouldnt do. When u have 4-5 enemy ships aiming u, ur sail wouldnt last long.

So my suggestions would be Dog of war with 4 lineships or Dog of war with 4 manowars or a mix of both.

And if u are playing with unmodified game data,keeping a fleet of manowars is very hard. After 1/2 to 1 year, stores will run out of supplies especially food. Also there are many new custom made ships available in this forum.

I have found out that the Heavy Galleon offers much cargo space and it has rather low maintenance costs. This ship could hold your loot while you and your other companions use military ships like corvettes, frigates, battleships and Manowars.

Hello,

I'm looking for a sort of, Military fleet but also i want a good cargo space from looting and such.
Since cannon balls, powder, etc take up quite allot of space. (I buy massive amounts) so i want extra ships to keep loot. - Any sudgested ships?

in all actuality, its a bad choice to buy massive amounts of powder - it can explode on u during combat, and give u a bad day. i personally only carry 500 of each type of ball for lower level ships (less cannons) and about 1k powder, and buy about 2500 of ea type - that i use often - for my higher level ships with about 4-5k powder. i never run out either, so, no need

Hello,

in all actuality, its a bad choice to buy massive amounts of powder - it can explode on u during combat, and give u a bad day. i personally only carry 500 of each type of ball for lower level ships (less cannons) and about 1k powder, and buy about 2500 of ea type - that i use often - for my higher level ships with about 4-5k powder. i never run out either, so, no need

I carried 40K powder and my ship exploded.
Theni reduced it to 20K powder (Im using ship, Man of war) and it diddnt explode during combat, so 20K is a good safe amount.

think about all the weight 20k powder is. If you are robbing/capping ships, you can transfer their ammo over when robbing. I use 200 grape and 200 powder. All i do is board ships. My ship consistantly does 20-21 kts. I use the Arabella. The AI has no chance of escaping.

think about all the weight 20k powder is. If you are robbing/capping ships, you can transfer their ammo over when robbing. I use 200 grape and 200 powder. All i do is board ships. My ship consistantly does 20-21 kts. I use the Arabella. The AI has no chance of escaping.

My Ship consists of:
1 - 5K of Weapons each (Such as, Cannon Balls, Grapes, Bombs, Chains)
10 - 20K Powder.
500+ Food
300+ Medicine.

Thats just on my main ship, The one i sail.
Which is the Flying Dutchman.

Now, when i loot citys i dont have much cargo space left on my Ship.
But, That's why i have a Man-of-War with me also, To carry all the loot!

My Man-ofWar has a Cargo capeable of Holding 8956. 4800 of that space is taken up by other things such as Weaponry (Cannon balls, etc) food and such, But it leaves around 3K+ space for loot. - I'm trying to get my hands on another Man-of-War ship also.

So i like the way my Fleet is coming together so far.

Note: Flying Dutchman has 5K Cargo Space. (With 2.5K Space free)

Yep, 20k powder is not right-well no offense.Takes a LOT of cargo space and just think about it.As far as I remember u need 1powder to shoot 1cannonball.So if u pack up 1-5k ammo each and u got a man-o-war with 106cannons u able to shoot plenty of times before u run out of powder(actually ammo will run out much quicker)-so that means u shoot a 1000times u still got plenty so why fill up the cargohold? :hmm
The other thing is almost every ship has a buttload of powder(even sloops carry around 1k or more)so u can safely restock urself even in the heat of a battle.
I am using a battleship with 80cannons and I carry 1k of each ammo and NEVER more than 5k powder.
Back to topic my squadron consist of:
-Battleship(not yet upgraded)
-Sea Wolf
-Frigate-fully upgraded
I also have a man-o-war and a lineship in port royale but none of my officers are able to steer them just yet..
I have to agree with Bismarck-Heavy Galleons do carry a lot of cargo-they will be mine companion as well soon. :b:

Yep, 20k powder is not right-well no offense.Takes a LOT of cargo space and just think about it.As far as I remember u need 1powder to shoot 1cannonball.So if u pack up 1-5k ammo each and u got a man-o-war with 106cannons u able to shoot plenty of times before u run out of powder(actually ammo will run out much quicker)-so that means u shoot a 1000times u still got plenty so why fill up the cargohold? :hmm
The other thing is almost every ship has a buttload of powder(even sloops carry around 1k or more)so u can safely restock urself even in the heat of a battle.
I am using a battleship with 80cannons and I carry 1k of each ammo and NEVER more than 5k powder.
-Sea Wolf
-Frigate-fully upgraded
I also have a man-o-war and a lineship in port royale but none of my officers are able to steer them just yet..
I have to agree with Bismarck-Heavy Galleons do carry a lot of cargo-they will be mine companion as well soon. :b:

Only 1 of my Ships have 20K Powder, Which is the one i Sail.
(No longer the Flying Dutchman since its sails get knocked out so easily, leaving me as a sitting duck, so not im using the Dog of War) - And that has 20K powder because its my Firepower, Its the ship i use to take out Forts and other ships, get them damaged first. My other ships (None anymore, My man of war sunk) hold 5K powder at max, and 1K Cannonballs / Bombs. - Theres allot of cargo space left for loot (Im trying to get another Man of War =P)

So you se, Me filling up with Firepower on my main ship is a good thing, as im able to take out other ships so easily without worrying about ammo, powder, and my fleet stays safely behind me, sometimes helping sink some ships. - This strategy works well for me, I've looted 4 towns, and captured Port Royal, And engaged with trade convoys gaining 3K+ Gold. - My cash is currently at 6 Mil (Supplies and Repairs / Bounty hunters are taking a dent in my Cash) but im doing well so far.

-Sea Wolf
-Frigate-fully upgraded

(No longer the Flying Dutchman since its sails get knocked out so easily, leaving me as a sitting duck, so not im using the Dog of War) - And that has 20K powder because its my Firepower, Its the ship i use to take out Forts and other ships, get them damaged first. My other ships (None anymore, My man of war sunk) hold 5K powder at max, and 1K Cannonballs / Bombs. - Theres allot of cargo space left for loot (Im trying to get another Man of War =P)

So you se, Me filling up with Firepower on my main ship is a good thing, as im able to take out other ships so easily without worrying about ammo, powder, and my fleet stays safely behind me, sometimes helping sink some ships. - This strategy works well for me, I've looted 4 towns, and captured Port Royal, And engaged with trade convoys gaining 3K+ Gold. - My cash is currently at 6 Mil (Supplies and Repairs / Bounty hunters are taking a dent in my Cash) but im doing well so far.
Sounds fair then. :onya
Oh no wait!!
You captured PORT ROYAL??!!!
You heartless, mean pirate you!!!
Port Royale an Tortuga ARE our safe havens!!
I challenge you to a duel! :ixi

-Sea Wolf
-Frigate-fully upgraded

Sounds fair then. :onya
Oh no wait!!
You captured PORT ROYAL??!!!
You heartless, mean pirate you!!!
Port Royale an Tortuga ARE our safe havens!!
I challenge you to a duel! :ixi

Lol, Port Royal is my Favourite location.
and, update of my fleet:

My Ship: Corvette ~ Dog of War.
Companion1: Man-of-War
Companion2: Man-of-War
Companion3: Man-of-War

Good? :onya

=P

Back