• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help How to create your own character reskin

fjx

Promotion
Storm Modder
Hi! I wanna create my own character model based on existing GM file, but with changed textures and apply them to the game. I already converted the TX file to TGA, edited it with Gimp and I want to know what to do next. Could you please explain it to me in steps? I have following programs: TX Converter, GMView, Paint.NET, Gimp - free version. Thanks in advantage. fjx
P.S. Character models in GMView aren't showing in colors (I have Windows 7).
P.S. Where is the file responsible for which character models are used in certain groups (boarding crew, citizens, soldiers, pirates, barkeepers etc.). Is it made in similar way to MusicAlias?

If you already made your new character texture, you just use the TX Converter to convert it back.
Or do you want to do it without overwriting the original? That would require HEX-editing the GM file and adding some code to make the game use it.
I'm not familiar with the CoAS code though.

The GM Viewer not showing textures on characters is a known problem on newer Windows versions, eg. since some XP update.
Not sure what caused it; we all have that problem. :(

:facepalmSorry, wrong section. I have textures for POTC character. Can you move this thread to POTC section?

Which part are you still confused on? The folder you need is RESOURCE\Textures\Characters .

Your new texture on a new model? All-right then...
Copy and rename the appropriate files in:
RESOURCE\MODELS\Characters
RESOURCE\MODELS\Heads
RESOURCE\animation\Heads

Add new code in:
PROGRAM\Models\initModels.c
RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\models_description.txt

Use a HEX-editor to change the texture filename that the GM file uses.
I like the one that cooperates with Notepad++: http://sourceforge.net/projects/npp-plugins/files/Hex Editor/

I've done all you have written (great thanks to you) except that Hex Editor. I don't quite know what to do in that link you posted. Can you, please, post a better link, so I could download Hex Editor straight from that?:nerbz

OK, I've downloaded and extracted the archive, but I don't see any file that could run the editor.:shrug

Perhaps you would be better served with a stand-alone one. This is one I've used in the past: http://piratesahoy.net/build/tools/HEX Editor.zip

For more details, see your Documentation\New Horizons Tutorials & History.pdf file on page 36.
Note that the reference to "facemaker.c" is outdated, so you can skip over that.

Thank you. I opened GM character file and what next. How to "stick" it to textures?

What with head and animation? Yeah, I'm really a newbie in such cases.:facepalm

Between all the "gibberish" should be the name of the texture file it currently uses. You can change that to use another.
Check that PDF file; all the information should be there. :yes

Back