• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help How to get bulk weapons and how to ransom captured captains.

Mick

Landlubber
So I have been doing pretty well on a high difficulty (it was the one below sea master). Despite having low navigations skills I've held onto a captured man o war ship, so I can hold a massive crew. So as it stands I have 3 ships, a manowar which can hold over 1100 sailors at overcapacity, and two others that can hold about 500 at over capacity.

Now over time I had acquired a good amount of weapons, and I have raided frances capital twice, and made a lot of profit naturally, currently at 1 million gold.

I have pretty much a full crew without being too far over capacity. The problem is in those raids I have pretty much been completely cleaned out of my weapon supplies. I currently only have about 150 weapons for a 2000 man crew. Yet none of the towns I go to have any good amount of weapons, the best I have found is 85 weapons in La Vega.

So how does everyone else go about acquiring bulk amounts of weapons for your crew?

And now to captured prisoners, the captains from other ships, I've got maybe 10 of them and I am at max officer capacity. So basically, I have as many prisoners as I do officers, and I would like to hire more officers that are actually useful since over time the old officers pretty much become useless. but they're still good for captaining a ship (the only ones I still have with me are devoted in loyalty, so i imagine it helps a LOT to prevent a ship from mutinying on me and losing the ship, as with a rebellious officer and a pretty content crew (good morale) they will pretty much instantly mutiny.

I have checked the dialogue options, and read the guide. No where in any of their dialogue does it mention HOW to ransom prisoners. it maybe has 5 sentences mentioning related stuff but nothing really helpful.

Basically, find out their nationality, and ransom them. That's all the guide said.

So I need some specifics of procedure. Finding out their nationality is easy enough, just talking to them their first dialogue mentions it.

So how do I actually go about ransoming them? I've tried coming close to their nations ports and talking to them but they only mention being in the middle of the sea. I've tried to see if I am to ransom them from a pirate port, but it only mentions releasing them. I've looked up in many different versions of searches to find some explanation to no avail.

Hell just kicking them out doesn't work, my rep decreases and they run through the door but they're still there when I get back.

Danke.

Hello m8,

Ransoming of captured captains is done via dialogue (talk to the guy) with a governor of an island, a regent governor, don't need to talk to the governor-general.
Price vary with the captains own nation and the nation you are ransoming him to, meaning if you captured an english captain sell him in an english province or an ally. (Check if the opposite is true, selling to enemy is more profitable,not really sure and it's not a big deal since money are low)

I am supposing that you (are) stayed pirate but have some loyalty to at least one nation, maybe a Letter of Marque. If you are a straight-arrow pirate with no documents i guess you just kill them or take them as officers, since going to a governors residence would bring the alarm and soldiers will kill you.

Regards,

Hello m8,

Ransoming of captured captains is done via dialogue (talk to the guy) with a governor of an island, a regent governor, don't need to talk to the governor-general.
Price vary with the captains own nation and the nation you are ransoming him to, meaning if you captured an english captain sell him in an english province or an ally. (Check if the opposite is true, selling to enemy is more profitable,not really sure and it's not a big deal since money are low)

I am supposing that you (are) stayed pirate but have some loyalty to at least one nation, maybe a Letter of Marque. If you are a straight-arrow pirate with no documents i guess you just kill them or take them as officers, since going to a governors residence would bring the alarm and soldiers will kill you.

Regards,
Thanks for the reply, however I am still a bit confused.

In another attempt to ransom prisoners, I landed at a beach of a spanish port(With a spanish flag), travelled there and talked to the governor (there is no other person to talk to) and all he does is tell me to get out.

Thus I am confused, how am I supposed to ransom prisoners to the spanish people, of whom I have prisoners of? You mention "If you captured an english captain sell him in an english province or ally". Okay, I have no ally, but how exactly would I go about selling him to his own nation?

I still assume you are pirate.
The absence of dialogue with the governor suggests you need a Letter of Marque after all for this kind of things I suppose.
I haven't been first-hand in this situation as pirate. The LoM would require the corresponding flag, note that you have to have the perk when you decide the nation.
I suppose you want to make some bucks out of them, otherwise if you just wanna make room for officers, enlist them as slaves or release them at a friendly port.
Take all this with a grain of salt, I am also rather new to the game. Hope it helps.

In retrospect my logic is indeed wrong if you had an English LoM and captured Spanish captains, since they are the enemy, you would ransom them at an English port. I've done this for both Spanish and Pirates with the governor, I can confirm as much. It's a few thousand per head on lower levels, if it makes a difference to you.

Regards

Thanks for the reply, however I am still a bit confused.

In another attempt to ransom prisoners, I landed at a beach of a spanish port(With a spanish flag), travelled there and talked to the governor (there is no other person to talk to) and all he does is tell me to get out.

Thus I am confused, how am I supposed to ransom prisoners to the spanish people, of whom I have prisoners of? You mention "If you captured an english captain sell him in an english province or ally". Okay, I have no ally, but how exactly would I go about selling him to his own nation?

A couple simple answers here for assistance.

If you a pirate and not allied with any nation with a LoM, you cannot ransom enemy captains.
Governors will not want to deal with you for obvious logical reasons.
Its even worse if you a pirate and hostile with a nation, as governors will call the guards to attack you as game coded in certain situations.
Work for a governor and get a LoM, then use false colors to sneak into an enemy town to see the host nation governor, then you can ransom captains to home nations.

Separately, bulk weapons are most easily acquired from larger cities and towns, but in larger quantities via captured enemy warships.
Large volumes are never usually available in towns for obvious reasons because that is normally reserved for military navies not shopkeepers.
This can be adjusted if its really irritating in the goods script files to increase their availability in shops.

Back