• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

How to slow down Charles' level-ups?

Thorot

Landlubber
When I played this great game some years ago I figured out a way to slow down Charles' leveling-up.
I did this so I could have more time to "Free Play" without fear of leveling past different quests, or get untimely bothered with f.ex. The Redskin Chief :p
Since I've now updated the game with the newest version, 1.7.3, I of course wish to do the same again, but unfortunately I can't remember how I did this.
I seem to remember I edited something in the script, possibly in the Program - scripts - PsHero.c
I searched through the PsHero.c without finding something that looks familiar :p

If someone understand what I'm talking about and know where to find the file/code I'm looking for I'll be really grateful :)

When I played this great game some years ago I figured out a way to slow down Charles' leveling-up.
I did this so I could have more time to "Free Play" without fear of leveling past different quests, or get untimely bothered with f.ex. The Redskin Chief :p
Since I've now updated the game with the newest version, 1.7.3, I of course wish to do the same again, but unfortunately I can't remember how I did this.
I seem to remember I edited something in the script, possibly in the Program - scripts - PsHero.c
I searched through the PsHero.c without finding something that looks familiar :p

If someone understand what I'm talking about and know where to find the file/code I'm looking for I'll be really grateful :)
I'm not sure, you can contact @mitrokosta in this discord: Join the PiratesAhoy! Discord Server!

I'm not sure, you can contact @mitrokosta in this discord: Join the PiratesAhoy! Discord Server!
Tnx I'll try on Discord, then :)
And there I got the help, @mitrokosta answered promptly :-D
I'll post his answer in case someone else is looking for the same:
"open program\seadogs.c, find OnLoad function, add the following line inside MOD_EXP_RATE = 105; this will set your levelling rate to that of impossible level difficulty, which is already quite slow. you can increase the number even further should you wish. the bigger the number, the slower you level
No new game required"

Thanks so much to @JTem & @mitrokosta :-D

Last edited:
if you remove that line, does the exp rate get back to normal?
edit: i guess not, as i just tried. Does anyone know the different rates per difficulty, so i can possibly revert it back if needed?

Last edited:
If you don't mind cheating, i have a suggestion. Max out all stats in the RPGUtilite except the 2 melee weapon that you will not use, set those two stats into 1. This way, you won't get exp whether you are sailing or fighting. When you want to increase your rank, simply fight with one of the 2 low stat melee weapons. Remember you give your character all the skill too since you wont get any skill point if you max out all stats.

If you want to use the MOD_EXP_RATE = 105 command line, you can also use the pchar.rank =x(any number you want) to increase or decrease your rank. Won't get you the exp or skill point, but will have your rank modified to suit your need. You might want to explore the possibility of using command line to give character free skill point too. I haven't try it though.

Back