• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

i did it again!

morgan terror

Magnificent bastard
Storm Modder
Public Relations
it will never cease to amaze what i can do with electronics. for some reason, my computer will only start up in safe mode now. it keeps attempting system recoveries, which do absolutely nothing to solve the problem (predictably). the only way i can make it work now is by logging in on a different account. anyone else ever seen that safe mode is in windows 98? anyway, does anyone know why this might be? it all started when the damn thing froze up one day and refused to boot in it's normal startup mode after i had shut it down by cutting the juice.

Do you mean you log in to a different account on the same computer to get it to work Morgan? If that's the case, then it is probably just a problem with your Windows login. It's been to long since I really messed with Windows 98 to be of much help there mate. Does it give you any error messages while it is booting mate?

If it's actually a hardware problem, they are tough to track down. Especially on an older system like yours mate, it could literally be any number of things. Knowing what I know about your system mate, I would really recommend trying to save up for a new computer. You could get a new low end system that would blow your old computer out of the water for under $500. It could be your memory has gone bad on you, or it could be your BIOS or your processor. Years of heating up and cooling down causes a lot of stress on electrical connections, the solder connections on the motherboard can fracture and no longer make a good electrical connection. There are a couple of last resort options you can try if that's the case, but I wouldn't recommend even attempting them until you are able to purchase a new computer.

ah, it's windows xp, actually. it's the safe mode which makes it go to 98. which is wierd. i guess they never updated the UI once they had it running.

i'm thinking that i could fix this by running the repairing utility from the CD. but you only have so many CD keys. i'm thinking about checking the thing for dust first though.

to elaborate on the problem, if i use regular bootup, it simply locks up at some point. i think it's some kind of system file damage.

You're actually still running XP when it boots to safe mode - it looks like 98 though because all of XP's visual niceties are shut off. Windows 7 does the same thing.
yes.gif

It sounds like cutting the juice to it might've smoked your hard drive - the machine I had before the old HP I just replaced had its HD cooked thanks to a brownout, and it refused to start in anything but safe mode for about a week and a half, then it went back to normal, then it went back to safe mode.
laugh.gif

I'd say to try hitting F8 repeatedly the next time you're starting it up, and see if the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" that should come up lets you choose to start it without using safe mode.

Ah, ok, I think I understand what you mean now mate. Try what Stallion suggests above, hopefully you will get lucky!

If that doesn't work, try running "msconfig" in safe mode. Go to the start menu, choose run and type in msconfig and hit enter. You can do all sorts of things with this utility, so be cautious. Have a look through these links Morgan before you try anything with MS Config :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560/en-us

it spontaniously started working again. i swear, my stuff is possessed. i'll be bookmarking this topic though, in case it happens again.

Does your system completely lock up every time this happens Morgan? Another possibility could be your power supply may be going bad, if it isn't supplying the proper voltage to the motherboard, video card, or memory at times, that would cause your system to lock up. If you have added hardware to your system, it might also be drawing more power than your power supply can handle.

power supply is the newest bit in there, so that can't be it. i think it's the harddrive locking up, since it gives a very slight tap once in a while. only very rarely though. the heat around here must have warped a bearing or something.

Morgan, I had that thing you describe a while ago. Lots of the sectors on my harddrive turned out to be bad or damaged, and the only thing that really worked was to let Windows format the hd and reinstall. If you can boot from your optical drive, just put your Windows CD in the optical drive and press F8 before it enters the windows loading screen. This will bring forward a menu that lets you reinstall the whole thing.

why? the harddrive, maybe, but this can run assassin's creed. best computer i've used in ages.

i tried, but couldn't find any explosives. so i settled for throwing it out the window. made a nice dent in the ground.

i tried, but couldn't find any explosives. so i settled for throwing it out the window. made a nice dent in the ground.
The internet is a terrible thing to waste

but seriously,

you could always try to convince the local bomb squad to use your ex-computer for training purposes.

Back