• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

I have stock PotC and it doesnt work

What does "doesn't work" mean?
The more details you give, the better we can help. :doff

New Horizons folder in PotC

1c4bc48230bcbcb8e351920540afeaeb.png

Last edited:
Try installing your game in Disc D. So without the MOD, the stock PotC works just fine? Also you should have the Build 14 installer files in a whole different folder outside the game's main directory. Then run the installer and or proceed as instructed on the page where you got the files.

EDIT: Here, just do it like this. Look how I have the stock game folder and the other one I've created Capture2.png which I've put all the files of Build 14. Capture.png Then just run the installer, choose the Main Game directory and not the PROGRAM folder when choosing a path for the installer. Now the Extra Fix Archive by @Grey Roger won't be included during the installation so you have to extract it manually to the same path and allow it to overwrite everything.

Last edited:
I give up that still says I dont own stock game. Ty for your help I might try Gentlemen Of Fortune in future Im just waiting for COAS discount.

I give up that still says I dont own stock game. Ty for your help I might try Gentlemen Of Fortune in future Im just waiting for COAS discount.
I hope you'll make it work in the future. One quick question though. Does your stock game work without the MOD?

Anyway, Steam is currently selling COAS for 7.99usd. Pretty good deal if I say so myself.

Rather than Steam or GoG, Maelstrom is proven far superior for COAS, Caribbean Tales and GOF mods; it is upgraded, faster, and eliminates most of the crashes and bugs...both the Steam and GoG versions are just regurgitations of the old, buggy original.

Rather than Steam or GoG, Maelstrom is proven far superior for COAS, Caribbean Tales and GOF mods; it is upgraded, faster, and eliminates most of the crashes and bugs...both the Steam and GoG versions are just regurgitations of the old, buggy original.
That is true. I do have your Engine. And have GoF 2.5. I just went ahead and tried it. I just wish that someday TEHO will be added to that list if ever they will officially release the files for modders.

Anyway @bakulux if you want to try out COAS with @ChezJfrey 's engine here's the link. Instructions are there as well. It gets a little confusing reading the setup process, well, at least for me, but there's an easy way to do it which is also included in the Maelstrom Setup instructions. Once you get the engine you'll have several games and their versions to choose from and download.

yeah my stock PotC is working without any problems @DavyJack and the question is whats the difference between Maelstorm and regular GOF ?
Maelstrom is a game ENGINE used to run specific several games including Gentlemen of Fortune. A modification to the original ENGINE to catch up with today's computers, (just like cars per se, there are all kinds of upgrades especially involving electronics that can't be done with the old cars because they are just too outdated and in order to do that it'll need a complete overhaul) to run the game better and or more stable (e.g. no crashes, flickering, lag, etc.) old games just can't keep up with the modern computer hardware and softwares anymore. That's why some people considered even downgrading just to make up for their favorite old time games. Even PotC runs in compatibility mode and I even use RivaTuner to keep it more stable.

Anyways, I guess getting the Maelstrom ENGINE is a better deal as you can download several modded games for free and use the engine to run it. Did you check the link I gave you on my previous post?

I must stress here, that Mr. ChezJfrey has no right to earn money on Storm Engine (“his” “Maelstrom engine” is nothing more than modified Storm Engine 2.8), unless he publishes his agreement with Akella (or proves, that he's doing everything legally in some other proper way), where that company (which owns the Storm Engine) grants him permission to earn on it.

I must stress here, that Mr. ChezJfrey has no right to earn money on Storm Engine (“his” “Maelstrom engine” is nothing more than modified Storm Engine 2.8), unless he publishes his agreement with Akella (or proves, that he's doing everything legally in some other proper way), where that company (which owns the Storm Engine) grants him permission to earn on it.

You are welcome to contact my lawyer at Portland Business Attorneys | Corporate/Business Litigation Patent Copyright Lawyers and speak to them about your concerns.

You are welcome to contact my lawyer at Portland Business Attorneys | Corporate/Business Litigation Patent Copyright Lawyers and speak to them about your concerns.
In fact, I don't care what your attorneys from the USA have to say. What counts is, that as far as I know, the Storm Engine is still proprietary of Akella, which have had never published the source code for the public. Yes, PA! Community was given the sources free of charges, but the redistribution of the code is forbidden, as well as we aren't allowed to make monetary profit on it. Therefore, you have to prove, that you have obtained the direct permission from Akella to sell their product (Storm Engine).
In addition, I have suspicion that you have supplied the readers of your itch.io web page with the information, which may be not fully in agreement with the factual situation. You wrote:
Original Base Game: AGE OF PIRATES 2 – City of Abandoned Ships; Licensing sold and owned by other third party(s). Original Source Code (freeware)
For my knowledge, the only thing which Akella ever did with the Storm Engine was to outsource it, specifically to the producers of Pirates of the Burning Seas and maybe some others. However, the company have never renounced their ownership to the Storm Engine. They also hadn't made any claims, the ownership of their product (Storm Engine) had been changed, nor that the original source code became “freeware” anytime.

Back