• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

I just had two tier 1 ships sink each other from spinning and colliding

Fluen

Freebooter
If possible, I suggest you either:
a) reduce the collision box around ships, so masts don't get calculated into the collision box or
b) reduces the turn a ship does when colliding with something

I came across two patrols of small ships, while my fleet contains a USA frigate, Silehart's Sovereign of the Seas and a Dauntless class ship (the latter two are tier 1). I didn't want my two monsters to sink all those smaller ships and ordered them to sail away, while I undertook the battle. At some point, I noticed that both my ships suddenly went from a 100% hull strength to less than half that.

Concerned about what they might have encountered, that could cause such immense damages, I direct sailed to them and got the answer - each other. Both ships were literally spinning out of control around themselves in open sea and constantly clashed. While I stared at the crazy situation, both of them became so damaged, that they sunk, one after the other. I'm very happy I had saved shortly before that.

So I wonder, if it's really necessary to have the masts of ships count into their bulk, so sailing makes them clash and get damaged even when there is a significant distance between their hulls. Of if a ship colliding against something must make such a great turn when bounding back from the collision. Often the backwards speed of a ship after the collision is even greater than the forwards speed before the collision. Perhaps that is the cause of the problem. There must be some place in the algorithms for the sailing ships, where the uncontrollable spinning might be reduced to something manageable.

It's probably impossible to correct the collision box unless someone remodels the ships with Maya, something which is beyond me. Ships from the stock game are particularly bad as you'll find if you try to close to board a classic galleon. And I've no idea how to change the way a ship reacts to collision, let alone what side effects it might have on movement in general.

It's not even confined to PoTC. I remember one time when I was playing AoP and was literally stuck between a rock and a hard place - a rocky outcrop near an island on one side and an enemy ship on the other. Ever held a small object between your finger and thumb and squeezed until it shot out at high speed? That's what happened to me - suddenly I was zipping off at a far higher speed than any sailing ship has any right to achieve, and then I had to turn round and sail at more sensible speed back to the battle.

Back