• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

I just realised why I stopped playing this game the last time...

Treebiter

Landlubber
...Because the swordfighting is abysmal. I have quit the game several times now out of utter frustration. I spend half an hour in pitched ship combat and get my enemies to surrender. Than I board, their Captain for some reason wants to clash swords dispite having raised the white flag, I whip out my sword... And die. Yes, I'm rubbish at the swordplay but it's also a case of the added pressure that losing the fight means you lose the battle proceeding it. Curiously, this doesn't always happen. Sometimes I get the choice to capture the enemy captain straight away. Is this a random occurance? Is there anyway to get this every time and avoid the duel? This is the one killer for me. I wish there was the opertunity to save beforehand but I guess that's hardcoded.

On another note, have some uniforms been removed from the game? I remember there being a lot of different British navel uniforms for sale whilst now I can only see a Norrington, Sparrow, Nathaniel (The guy from the main game?) and 'sharp' one (After a good 15 minutes of going through his inventory). Also, the first two slots in the tailors inventory are always American Soldier uniforms. Is this something to do with the M&C start?

It's not all doom and gloom. I love loads of the new features. The ships in port, gambling, the maps for sale... More to love than hate.

What I suggest you do is load 'New Horizons' and practice sword fighting with Malcolm at the start so you can get better :D

Swordfighting, especially 1-on-1 fights, shouldn't be that much of a problem in PotC.
The trick is mainly to attack-block-attack-block and so on.
Block when the other makes to attack and attack when the other isn't attacking.
As Captain Maggee suggests, praciticing with Malcolm helps.

The following code is the reason for the enemy captain attacking sometimes and sometimes not:
Code:
//MAXIMUS: [if enemy captain is stronger than player, you'll fight with him] -->
if(makeint(sti(PChar.skill.Leadership)+sti(PChar.skill.Fencing)+sti(PChar.skill.Grappling))>=makeint(sti(NPChar.skill.Leadership)+sti(NPChar.skill.Fencing)+sti(NPChar.skill.Grappling)))
{
/*		if(CheckAttribute(boarding_enemy,"fight") && sti(boarding_enemy.fight)==1) bDeathFight = true;// if captain was created as fantom, but not by CreateTwinCharacter
else
{*/
if(IsCharacterPerkOn(PChar, "SwordplayProfessional") && IsCharacterPerkOn(PChar, "IronWill")) bDeathFight = false;
else
{
if(IsCharacterPerkOn(NPChar, "SwordplayProfessional") && IsCharacterPerkOn(NPChar, "IronWill")) bDeathFight = true;
else bDeathFight = false;
}
//		}//MAXIMUS: eliminated, because we can make a proper officer from any fantom
}
else { bDeathFight = true; }
if(IsUsedAlliesModel(NPChar)) { bDeathFight = true; }//MAXIMUS: ally's twin will always be agressive [twin officers looks strange, not so?]
//MAXIMUS: [if enemy captain is stronger than player, you'll fight with him] <--
It depends on your skill levels and make sure you have the Professional Swordplay and Iron Will perks.

I know it's not hard, I play a lot of Mount and Blade so timing-based combat isn't usually a problem for me. I think the biggest problem is the pressure of having to win after an epic navel battle where I'm very aware one mistake could mean having to do it over again... Basically, I'm a bit rubbish. I think I'll get some practice in as you suggest.

Also, do you know anything regarding my uniform question?

Thanks guys :cheers

Blast... Is there a section of code which controls the tailor shop inventory and is it possible to modify this?

Back