• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help I want learn to mod games but have no idea

Andrew Myers

Landlubber
i know this might not be in the right location but i want to learn to how mod games because i want to help the community and also bring life to other games via mods im looking for any help or tips on where to start i know very little about coding but i want to learn alot about it im willing to listen to anyones advice :)

There are tutorials somewhere and tools too.
Why not start with retexturing? Easy to learn and gives effect.
About code: see how other have done things and cut and paste.
I'm sure the modders here are willing to answer your questions.

A good start I think is one that lets you see results fast since that gives more motivation furtheron. Unfortunately nothing is easy or fast in the beginning but with patience and passion and helpful guys around lots can be achived.

So to start with graphical aspects is a good idea for that I would suggest "gimb" it's a pretty powerful free paint program to master it alone might take weeks if not month but you have a good start there and maybe you can grab photoshop lateron.

For text based editing I would suggest the free notepad plus since it has many handy features to help you modifying and even compare files for instance the original and your changes to the file. It makes certain codes in different colours so you have a better overview.

But as Pieter posted you should know what you want to achive and start there with small things so you can achive that don't take to much of a bite early-on since that might kill motivation to mod at all.

cheers!

So to start with graphical aspects is a good idea for that I would suggest "gimb" it's a pretty powerful free paint program to master it alone might take weeks if not month but you have a good start there and maybe you can grab photoshop lateron.
You mean GIMP, of course. :wp
http://www.gimp.org/

Thanks for some of the ideas guys im going to check out some of the stuff you posted and see what i like best then start on that :)

and about the add your own dialog to the game with the building you build idk exactly how to do that i followed the instructions but it just made the farm npc not talk anymore i created a back up so when this happened i just restored it to default i dont know exactly what i did wrong any idea about that?

Back