• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

I'm...back...rather surprisingly

Stallion

Sea Dog
Public Relations
As the topic says. You folks won't believe the crazy crap that's happened since I left.

First off, that old house we were moving into - it has a dirt basement. Guess what happened when the Edmonton area had a severe downpour on move-in day? I went to put a box in the basement and hit water three steps down. That's right - it filled to within a foot of the main floor rafters. Nearly eight feet of water. The floor was so saturated that two of the support columns for the house collapsed, and the city ended up condemning the place. We already had quite a load in the basement, so we don't know what all was lost yet.

Next, we spent about a week trying to find somewhere to live, which we did. That was actually fairly easy on such short notice. A sign of things to come, perhaps.

Move-in day (again). This was near the tail end of the day, we were about done, and it was the last load. I was to direct the truck to the front door, so, to save time, I jumped out of the back of the truck since it seemed like not that far of a drop. WRONG. I ended up landing on my left leg, twisting the living crap out of my knee, and not being able to walk. Turned out the measly drop was actually in excess of three feet. Note I was in the back of the truck because it wasn't full, and somebody needed to be back there to make sure everything didn't shift during the drive - riding in the back of one of those suckers is fun! :woot

I delayed the trip to the hospital until the next day since, after the initial pain, I could move fairly good on that leg. The next morning, not so much. And so commenced the first ambulance ride. I was sent home six hours later with a leg brace because the friendly hospital folks decided I was just faking it and only wanted free drugs. This for a person that hasn't been in a hospital in over a decade. I hate the places - they give me the willies.

Four days from then, I wake up with insane muscle spasms in the left leg that are so severe the metal brace rods get bent and the brace fails. Ambulance ride #2 coming right up! But not before they drop the stretcher, with me on it, while leaving the house. Hey presto, I'm now bleeding from just about everywhere. Thanks, guys.

Fast forward a week. I've been booted out of the hospital since, you know, the doctors have better things to do. It ended up that I've torn every bloody ligament and tendon in my knee, shattered and dislocated the kneecap, and fractured my patella. I was told to walk on it every day up until Day 5 (MRI - yikes - and ambulance ride #3), then all of a sudden, "Holy crap! You put any weight on that thing and you'll kill it!". I love this country's medical system. Really.

Now, I'm laid up at home and waiting for a surgery date, which might not be until November. Yippee. xD:

That last bit was in case somebody noticed me active on Steam the last few days - I've been grumpy and just stuck with shooting people in TF2 to ease my anger. :cheeky Also don't get any more heavy meds like Percocet - I don't hear any more voices at night, which is nice and kinda lonely. Yes, I know that's warped.

Ahoy Stallion, good to have you back mate! :woot

That's a hell of a story! From what I have heard about the Canadian medical system, your lucky to be alive! You would have stood a better chance in the middle of the turf war you were about to move into! :ixi

I am a bit confused though ...did they give you the Percocet because you were hearing voices? Or was that a side effect?? .... and if that's the case, how the hell could you tell?? :cheeky

Ouch! Jumping out from the back of a truck is not a good idea - added to my "do never.."- list!

Damn unfortunate story with that hospital, though! I am such a pussy, if I had so much pain I would have gone to the hospital right away - but I hear stories like your case sometimes.
Threating patients like that happens everywhere once in a while and I still dont know how they could ever be so wrong about you or anybody else. But obviously, they see a lot of bad stuff every day, however that´s no excuse really.. :?
Guess a little TF2-killing and rampaging once in a while never hurts - I never thought you had it in you, Stallion!! :shock
Anyway, nice you came back and told your story instead of just vanishing in anger and bitterness :cheers

Ahoy Stallion, good to have you back mate! :woot

That's a hell of a story! From what I have heard about the Canadian medical system, your lucky to be alive! You would have stood a better chance in the middle of the turf war you were about to move into! :ixi

I am a bit confused though ...did they give you the Percocet because you were hearing voices? Or was that a side effect?? .... and if that's the case, how the hell could you tell?? :cheeky

:cheers Thagarr!

Our system was good once upon a time - the poor guy that created must have whole body coffin-burns from rolling over so much in the last decade with all that's happened to it. xD: All the good folks have retired or left to where there's more money (don't blame them for that - I'd do the same), and so many people run crying to the doc when they get a cold now.

The voices were a side effect. :cheeky They actually had somebody stay in the room and watch me take them, since the black market the patients run can have each pill fetch up to $85. :shock

I'll have to see if I can find myself a copy of that book you mentioned on the front page. :onya

Ouch! Jumping out from the back of a truck is not a good idea - added to my "do never.."- list!

Damn unfortunate story with that hospital, though! I am such a pussy, if I had so much pain I would have gone to the hospital right away - but I hear stories like your case sometimes.
Threating patients like that happens everywhere once in a while and I still dont know how they could ever be so wrong about you or anybody else. But obviously, they see a lot of bad stuff every day, however that´s no excuse really.. :?
Guess a little TF2-killing and rampaging once in a while never hurts - I never thought you had it in you, Stallion!! :shock
Anyway, nice you came back and told your story instead of just vanishing in anger and bitterness :cheers

:cheers Peter!

Yep, never do that! I should've listened to the voice in my head that was saying not to do it, but, of course I didn't.

My problem is that I was born with a muscle and nerve problem that causes me to experience more pain than I should with everything, which means I have a heck of a time telling if an injury is just minor or is something I should be worried about. I tend to wait a bit in hopes I can tell later on, since I hate having to go in somewhere for treatment. Of course, telling a doctor or some other medical person that reads to them that you're just a loopy twit. :shrug

I found out a couple days after I was admitted that most of the nasty ones were doing a hospital to hospital rotation due to so many people being away on holidays, so they apparently are always just bitchy and rude. :yes I can understand the stress and stuff they go through that causes it, though - a crystal meth addict snuck in one night just after 1:00AM and threatened a nurse. Eight people jumped him, and he threw them off. Two cops that had brought a prisoner in for treatment tasered him FOUR times, and he still didn't drop. That was just crazy.

I go a little rank on TF2 every now and then. xD:

Good to be back. :drunk

I should've listened to the voice in my head that was saying not to do it, but, of course I didn't.

I knew you were hearing voices before the drugs! xD:

They are currently trying to dismantle our medical system by socializing it as well, I am sure the original plan was nothing like what it turned out to be. Once politicians get involved, you can kiss anything even remotely resembling common sense goodbye! That's what happens though when a small group of people decide they know what is best and force their view on everyone else. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Maybe you will get lucky with your next appointment and get a doctor that actually knows what he is doing.

That book really does look interesting, I knew there were some pirates operating up in the northern Atlantic, and off the Canadian coast, but I didn't realize just how numerous they were. I may just have to see if I can dig me up a copy as well!

:razz xD:

Maybe you'll get lucky and your system will stay good for a bit once it changes over...or not. :modding

There used to be an indie publisher back East that did a lot of books focusing on piracy there, but they seem to have went under. I don't think we ever did have much piracy on the west coast here, unless you count politicians. :woot

Where I come from (England), they have this "priority system". P1 being severe and usually allowed treatment first, to P5 being where you have to wait an average of 4-5 hours to get any attention. P1 probably requires your head to be missing as a requirement, so yeah. If I had your problem, I would have to be taken to Accident and Emergency, explain my problem, let them assign a priority, and wait...and wait...and wait...

If your rang for an ambulance here because you thought there was something wrong with your leg, they would probably leave you and report you to the police for wasting the medic service's time. I guess that's the problem with our free healthcare system. Too many people going into A&E and ringing up because they have a cold, and leaving people with missing arms, legs, heads in their beds taking meds while they bled. (MC moment there :dance )

Ouch, what an insane story! D: I consider myself lucky, because I've jumped off the army trucks too many times, and that's about 5-6 feet to the ground :p However, nice to hear you're still alive though, and welcome back :) I myself am back after a long hiatus, nice to see that a lot of you guys still hang around here :D

Everyone will just vote for comedy or something just to stir the pot :dance

But I know it can be a nightmare. Hospitals can be a right pain when your in a situation like Stallion was. I've been there :dance

Ouch, what an insane story! D: I consider myself lucky, because I've jumped off the army trucks too many times, and that's about 5-6 feet to the ground :p However, nice to hear you're still alive though, and welcome back :) I myself am back after a long hiatus, nice to see that a lot of you guys still hang around here :D

5 - 6 feet? Yikes!

I tried to join the military a few years ago, but wasn't allowed in because I'm flat-footed and knock-kneed.

@Jonty: The system over there sounds even worse than here! I hate going to hospitals and clinics, even when they do treat you properly.

@Akella Fan: You can set up a topic with a poll in it. xD:

Is the MultiQuote button not working for anybody else, either?

Lets see if everyone votes for comedy or not :dance Since Akella Fan doesn't seem to be online, I might as well set it up now. :nk

Back