• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Bug Important notice to AMD graphics users

Armada

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Project Manager
3D Artist
Storm Modder
I recently tried upgrading AMD Catalyst 12.3 to the latest version (12.4), and despite the installation going well, there are a couple of nasty bugs. For one thing, the software still reports the version as being 12.3, and so will wrongly prompt another software update if you try checking for more updates.

More importantly, the new drivers have a serious graphical glitch when playing PotC:
AMD_graphics_error.jpg

A forum thread here confirms that this error has affected other games, so it will likely affect CoAS as well. I have since reverted back to version 12.3, and the graphical glitch has stopped.

My advice is to keep using the Catalyst version you are already running (12.3 or earlier), and do NOT upgrade to 12.4, at least until a fix is available.

Thanks for the heads up mate, much appreciated!

I have had a lot of problems with AMD driver installations and uninstallations over the years, software seems to be a bit of an issue for them. Although I am sure Microsoft's "Security Features" don't help things much, installation should be pretty straight forward.

Add to that the fact that they have dropped support for older cards, and the Bulldozer fiasco, they have been shooting themselves in the foot quite accurately lately.

Tell us you're cruising around holiday on Iceland.
You know that the screen can be cleared from superfluous icons with F9, dontcha?
Now let the tree-dwellers throw some boomerangs.

No problem, mate. As soon as I figured out what was wrong, I had these visions of people posting here claiming that their game had gone horribly wrong... o_O

You know that the screen can be cleared from superfluous icons with F9, dontcha?
Yes I do, but I only bother doing that when making screenshots that are supposed to look nice. This one wasn't. :p

I've had those weird graphical bugs show up on and off in CoAS with each successive Nvidia driver update. Sometimes it's gone, and then it comes back after the next update. I really wish one of these two would get it together and start building working drivers again.

Huh! It looks like I dodged a bullet here. A popup said I should update to the 12.4 drivers last week but I didn't have time for it. Now I REALLY don't have time for it. Staying with 12.1.

Has Capm Spider seen that ship? or any Chinese? attach a long hair on to it and that things flies like a kite.
Forget about any other trouble then, when the skipper is floating in the air he better makes sure not to wreck on a cirrus clown.
Thingey, nivea and radium are blowing suger-bombs. Get a small dwarf named da Vinci or Dali for a fantasy painter it's what i am sane.
or a Freezelander from clear blue Skype. ...where's them silly smy-goggles... the Russian Taiga on the screen? go ahead then. Now step onto the wharf Jackie Sparrow stylee. (this stunt is from me originally. This weird yarn though would no-one listen to. Okay, threw me moonboots away cos i was thinking too hard, stepped on land dry. If you hear about a high-heel wearing shark, these are the most harmless animals overall, Windem might treat you to a keg-rolling on a flickering Jamaican mirage if you narrate tha'. Ya, man is not their prey and they know no blood-rush) Could His Highly tell us why there is water in the grog? powder me teamsters ;) ehm bright.

Donno if you tried that crazy phang where one could implement a dual-boot consisting in fer instant Win Experiment the very sci-fly and say Linux Mandriva with a spinning four-sided cube showing a rolled-over desktop. Now that is a proper weak tea in a vacuum-flask, eh messitch.

I tried the ATI 12.8 drivers to see what would happen. They work ok for DX7 and DX8 games, but I had nothing but trouble trying to play HL2 (DX9). When running benchmarks the best fps came with DX11, so that seems to be where ATI is going.
Anyway, I am back with the 12.1 drivers and still getting the best benchmarks with DX11. But HL2 runs!

Yeah, it looks like all future updates are specific to more modern graphics cards and games. I've stuck with 12.3 and had no problems at all. :nerbz

Back