• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Improving loadtime

Levis

Find(Rum) = false;
Staff member
Administrator
Creative Support
Programmer
Storm Modder
So I've made the loadtimes a bit worse now but not to worry. Behind the scenes I've set things up a bit nice now and in the next week(s) I hope to change some of the functions which are called on load to make them less taxing.
To explain it in simple terms this is what is happening now:

- NATIONS
+ Check each character if the nation is correct by scrolling trough all of them
- ACTIVE PERKS
+ Check if any perk is still active so it gets the right event by scrolling trough all characters and checking them
- SHIPS
+ Check if a ship was sailing away etc by checking all characters to see if they are there etc
etc

You see this is 3 times there is a loop going trough all characters already. There is at least 1 more for logging in the characters in the location. This one is always called. And I hope to add most of the stuff which is done here to this loop instead so we only have to loop trough all characters once.
That should hopefully increase the loadspeed again a bit :).

Why are you checking all that on each reload? :oops:
don't know if everything is checked all the time. but they are called very often.
That's why I want to look into it a bit more.
Still working on figuring out what happens all the time. but there is a lot of code being executed on each load which we don't need. I want to try to move it to only check logged in characters when possible.

Have you got any clue what is being checked with character nations? That sounds really oddish.

Have you got any clue what is being checked with character nations? That sounds really oddish.
It checks if the town nation or island nation is changed and if so it changes the character there.

It checks if the town nation or island nation is changed and if so it changes the character there.
But that shouldn't need to be done on EACH RELOAD! Just when the nation actually changes.
That should be a single straight function call that never happens at random but only through gameplay anyway. o_O

@Levis: I don't know what is going on, but I can just about not do anything with the game anymore.
I'm trying to do some tests with these performance issues but I can't even get to starting the test.
Using console switch(3) took quite a long time before the game started responding again.
And then I spent just about 5 minutes or so waiting for the game to finish reloading me to sea.
What is going on???

I tried with last week's version and that was also a bit on the slow side but not quite that slow.
Definitely have had enough of performance problems for today. :shock

I cant play the game in my style anymore. I like to make trouble in the Forts, steeling things from
the civilians, get some bombs, but whit loading screen up to 25-30 seconds, I cant get in and out
the doors quick enough. I use this trick other places too, so my gamestyle is broken:(

I have played the 27:th september version a lot. Only GoldBug and Assasin though.
Noticed no long loading times. I have made a lot of start new games but not played for a very long time.

I'm running on 5 year old hardware and I've only have a max load time of 30 seconds. Which I had in the past also. But I will look into it.

I'm running on 5 year old hardware and I've only have a max load time of 30 seconds. Which I had in the past also. But I will look into it.
Maybe you're lucky to have better hardware than some others here.
Loading times definitely dropped down significantly with especially yesterday's update.
It still seemed OK with the version from last week.

Anyway, try this sequence that managed to be REALLY bad for me:
1. Start a new game
2. Use console switch(3) while in a port somewhere (already took longer than usual for my game to respond again after this)
3. Reload to 3D sailing mode (took a good few minutes which definitely never used to be the case! :shock )

Mhhh... This probably is because fantoms are also initialized now.
Search in leveling for the initautolevel or something like that and add an exception for fantoms (except when in boarding mode). It should be a temp fix untill i can look into this. It could also have something todo with the other problem with levels being to high.
Normally the first time you enter an location it should take a bit longer, but the second time it should take less.

Having done a bit more "with and without" tests, it is definitely something in Leveling.c or LAi_CreateOfficer.c that makes for the longer loading times.

@Levis: Might it be an idea if you look into the "loading time" thing?
I've done some looking into the "performance at sea" issue and may be able to figure something out for that.
Just to avoid us doing double and incompatible work. :facepalm

Just started trying to play 10/3 version and am getting impossibly slow loads times.

After using ReshadeFramework from this link ReShade The loading time is
back to normal 3 to 4 seconds.

I was wrong, its not the Reshade, but a full installation that bring the loading time
down to almost normal, just the update wont work.

Back