• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

In need of directions/tips about game

piratedario

Landlubber
Ahoy to all pirate fellows, I was looking for patch for this great game and I run upon this site, I read few topics about stuff and everything but I am still confused about this game (its a great game but a little bit complicated at start), so I was wondering if someone can point me few directions and basics about game.
So I started the game (without any mods since I want to see how game looks and maybe later add compilated mod), I took Ian as my char and England as nation and after basic tutorial combat which I didn't understand very well, I know how to do attacks, parry/block and dodge, but I am confused with energy system, its almost like in the elder scrolls game but its regeneration is kinda slow and I noticed that when I dodge attacks it gets regenerated faster than blocking so if someone can explain me how energy is working and how to do basic combat since I don't like feeling of being helpless against simple targets like skeletons :D so some basic stuff would be nice cus I am playing at sailor (first difficulty until I figure how game works).
Except fighting I am having problems at starting game globaly, I was runing trough town to each building talked to lot of people,accepted some quests some denied, generly I need to find officer for my ship and some doccument like license (how to get that?by doing quests for governor?) I tried to search for officier in tavern but had no luck or I need to do something else to get officer, anyway I really need help at starting game ^^

Ahoy mate...!!

I am a newer sailor also.
The fighting seemed strange to me at first too. And I remember thinking this meter thing needs to be changed it isn't working right. But I was wrong, as usual. Try not to get backed into a corner or up against a wall when fighting the view gets a little weird and don't forget to block.

The Meter.
The red side is your health or "hit points" and the blue is your strength, the more you swing the more tired you become, the blue meter can go down fast. Also the heavier your weapon the faster you tire, again blue meter, so get yourself a light weight sword at first, thats what I did. Those skeletons are a tough breed when first starting out you might come back later for more success with them. They kicked my inexperienced sailor behind in the beginning so I gave up on them.

As far as money?
I roamed around and helped myself to the belongings of the homes I visited, when no one was looking of course, then resold them at the local shop or vendor. Normally it is not in my nature to do such things..... but, sometimes even the most honest sailor has to... um.... should I say bend the rules a little.

Officers?
I didn't worry about hiring an officer right off but I did get a few sailors, remember sailors love their rum and you don't want a mutiny on your hands and lack of food while in transit is not a good idea. Watch for the messages at the top of the screen when you are sailing this is valuable information.

Over priming the pump.
I don't want to give away the farm so hopefully this will enlighten you a little bit as to my humble beginnings as a sailor. I can guarantee you that everyone will have a different story as how to best proceed. But what ever you do, proceed, this game will reward you like no other if given the necessary time to learn. 

There is so much game here that even after a many many hours, weeks and months of sailing I still am learning new things. I have never played vanilla so maybe my help isn't the best advice, but be patient this game can really get going once the learning threshold is somewhat reached and the real experience begins. If you can get the patch do so. I go to the local library for such things. 

Don't abandon ship, You have discovered a gaming hidden treasure, now you just need time to develop your sailor repertoire and this takes time, for me about 15 or 20 hours before it all started to make sense. I'm a slow learner. 

Best of Luck young sailor..!!

Lord Fauntleroy............... Setting sail this evening for Basse Terre on the island of Guadeloupe.

Ahoy!!!!!....
Ahem.. hello and welcome to the forums and the game. First of all, i recommend that before you keep going in the game you install the mod. After you install it, youll have to start a new game, so theres no point in continuing. Go on the modding forums if you need help on that. Anyway, like faunterloy said, the heavier the weapon the faster you lose energy. I dont recommend using a light weapon (like the beretta saber) they make your energy last, but they are very weak. I recommend starting with a medium weapon. For money, visit the shopkeeper and ask him to take goods for him.. If he says something about the Blue Bird, DO NOT REJECT. if you do, yu wont be able to do the quest later, and youll miss out from a very fast zebec and from a katana. (even if you accept, theres no time limit so dont worry.) After a couple of times raking goods, you should have about 15000 pieces of eight ("piasters") make sure you have a good amount of sailors, but dont overload. also, have plenty of cannonballs, chain shot, grape shot, and a few bombs. Also get plenty of powder. try boarding and upgrading your ship so youll have a bigger cargohold at the begginig. More cargo space means more money from trading. If youre wondering about quests look at the topics above this one.

Good Luck

BENEKE

Back