• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

In need of texture modder?

Kazen Dukzom

Landlubber
I'm chatting to my brother who says he is willing to help with the mod in upgrading/creating skins for ships and people. He would like to know what tools he would need. He has Photoshop CS3 and has lead other texture mods for other games before.

Will his skills be needed?

Please take a look at this thread:
http://forum.piratesahoy.net//index.php?/work-4-me-t15269.html/

Glad to have you both on board :3

The url is broken! yes indeed, that is the modders forum. So the important points are these:

Work with textures!

How about for me (I've just finish rewriting all sailing stats for all 219 ships):

1. A French, or generic skin for USS Constitution. I'm not sure how you can mask out the "C O N S T I T U T I O N" nameplate from her though. The decor seems integrated to the model, not the texture.

2. A Royal Navy version of Hooker1. Basically, replace the scarlet paint with white and we have a sweet little battle schooner. Something to catch them American privateers with...

3. A white snow-brig. All white with golden embroidery. Since its the same hull used as the gaffsail schooners, you can reuse the texture for white schooners! :)P)

4. Are we keen on "pirate" variants on the small ship skins we have? I just encountered a pirate frigate in WBT playtesting and whoa, the dark paint and black/red sails does make a HUGE difference in the night. They're practically invisible. It may not be historically accurate but it does create that fear factor when you see one such ship coming at you out of nowhere.

I'd like a darkened out pirate xebec, schooner, any little ships pirates like you like to use. Not F-117 stealth fighter black, but just darkened out and weathered, with all the wood effects evident.

Well don't do all of them, I'm not your employer (lol) these are just suggestions for adding a bit of detail to what we have :3

Thank you for your interest.

1. Indeed I think the name IS modeled on. Could ask ZarethPL to make a version without it though?

2. British Royal navy, I think should be black and yellow. Black and white is used for US ships...

Of course we're getting major "the modpack is going too big" issues,
so I wouldn't really want too much new ship skins, UNLESS they really add something new to the game,
gameplay-wise, graphical-wise or historically.

There IS some ships that have different rigging from another, but the same hull texture.
I don't like that; it'd be nice if the hulls of such ships could be repainted.

Repainting the Snow-Brig (Shnvaya1 & 2) and the Grand Schooner (schoonerxebec) would achieve that result!

Good point there Pieter; I did make the XebecCT and Barbarossa pirate-only ships, with different stats etc.

SUMMARY

Start with USS Enterprise - the name on the back of the ship is just a texture, so paint over ENTERPRISE with black and there you go, new American Sloop of War.

Then something big huge and fun you can play with - Galeon5 - which is supposed to be Elizabethian War Galleon. Right now she's in a quaint shade of light brown. We need 2 variants of darker brown for a War Galleon and a Fast Galleon - we would like her to look like a historical English Galleon such as Golden Hind.

REQUIREMENTS

You need to know how to extract textures from the game files using TX converter, following which you will get a TGA to play with in photoshop. You then need to make a duplicate of the ship model, hex edit its GM file to point it to the new textures and viola! You have a new ship :3

Actually, the hex edit stuff is easy; you just need to extract, repaint, put the texture in TGA 32 bit here and we'll do the rest of the conversion/import.

One again, thank you for your interest.

Golden Hind sample

golden%20hind%20detail.jpg

This should be perfect for a trade galleon (future variant of galeon5)! White hull bottom, dark hull wtih white livery.

Back