• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Installation Query

gorillacakes

Landlubber
Hey all!

I'm a long time lurker here and have been using POTC Build Mod for years although a took a very long break from it recently and was surprised to find a brand new build up and running, kudos to the team! I immediately installed it and that's where the problem arises.

I have followed the installation instructions in the FAQ, POTC is not in Program Files, Both part 1 and 2 from MOD-DB are together in a separate folder (though not the same folder as POTC), however when I try to run the installer.exe it says "Please place the installer OUTSIDE your game folder". It seems odd since it is contrary to the instructions, but I tried it anyway and I get much farther down the installation path but it then cancels the install asking me to please place the main archive in the same folder as the installer and then I am back to square 1.

It's quite frustrating as I have installed older versions so many times I am wondering what I am doing wrong. Does anyone have any insight?

Parts 1 and 2 should be in one folder, best way on desktop. Installer should be also in that folder on desktop. Click on it, and it should start installing.
EDIT: Also, you don't have to unzip anything, installer will do it :D
EDIT2: If you unzipped archive installer could think it's your main game folder, so that might cause an error, as it works with archive, not unzipped folders. But I installed it long time ago, my memory could be wrong :rolleyes:

Last edited:
If you have the Installer EXE in the same folder as the game's ENGINE.exe, it will give an error message because weird things happen when you install like that.
If you don't have Part 1 and Part 2 in the same folder, the Installer EXE cannot find the archive file. So again, it will give an error message.
Solution: Put them both together in the same folder outside your main game folder and it should work fine.

Thanks, it was because I unpacked the zip file first and then ran the installer. I had forgotten how in depth it is, it's quite harder then the COAS overhauls, that's why I love it.

Thanks a million for the help (Hartelijk bedankt hé!).

Graag gedaan. :doff More difficult to play, you mean? Really? :shock

Zeker wel! I have died so many times last night it was hilarious. Playing the COAS overhauls I become stupidly rich and overpowered in a very short time.

After several hours of playing POTC build (excluding all the restarts) I am still on a lugger, heavily outgunned and my commerce is way too low to actually make respectable profits on what should be good trade runs.

The realism adds to this too with the compass and the watch helping with location finding and wind direction. I had wondered where the hell the marker was gone and panicking like crazy when under attack until I bought a cheap compass and I absolutley loev it for it.

By the way, the "hé" betrays where I learned my Nederlands and I just saw you are an actual Dutchmen so apologies for subjecting you to the Vlaams :p

Currently in the process of making another Beta 3.3 internal WIP update, so hopefully that'll be posted somewhere today(?) as well.

Back