• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Spoiler Iron Man Game Mode: Realism in Navigation

Sometimes when it's foggy you can't see how far you are from the island and you don't know is it safe to change flag.In that situation it's good thing knowing your coordinates.
But as far as I'm aware, [8] only does anything ashore and [Numpad 8] only toggles worldmap encounters (with cheatmode on).
The console can show your coordinates, but I'd expect those to be fairly meaningless...
Though on the other hand, since the (0,0,0) point is probably near the centre of the closest island, perhaps it isn't so meaningless after all.
I suppose that's what you mean...?

Why do you think it's meaningless?
When playing on "Ironman mode" you can't use "sail to" option,even if information is given saying position of the nearest island after "land ho" it's not always easy to spot the island when it's foggy or when in storm,and sometimes hostile ships can change your course dramatically,soo it's very useful to know your coordinates.Before I realized that I really struggled to locate the islands and sometimes even missed them completely,now I use it all the time for determining when to toggle direct-sail on/off,when to change the flag,for determining how much more will I sail until "land ho"...

Why do you think it's meaningless?
Because it never occurred to me to use it for that! It was only ever meant as a modding tool; not a gameplay feature.
Its potential use only started to dawn on me halfway through writing my response above! :rofl

When playing on "Ironman mode" you can't use "sail to" option,even if information is given saying position of the nearest island after "land ho" it's not always easy to spot the island when it's foggy or when in storm,and sometimes hostile ships can change your course dramatically,soo it's very useful to know your coordinates.Before I realized that I really struggled to locate the islands and sometimes even missed them completely,now I use it all the time for determining when to toggle direct-sail on/off,when to change the flag,for determining how much more will I sail until "land ho"...
Makes sense, I suppose! Bit of a cheat though; in real life, you wouldn't have had that information available either.
But as long as you have fun, that's all that matters! :cheers

For anyone who's reading along and wants to make use of this, it is in PROGRAM\console.c:
Code:
void ExecuteConsole()
{
    ref pchar = GetMainCharacter();
    ref ch;
    int i;
    int limit;
                                            // Case 0 = Enable reload (useful when you get stuck on boarding) + Set player type (if you cannot move anymore)
    switch(0)                                // Case 1 = Various test and cheat codes
    {                                        // Case 2 = Location coordinate information
Change switch(0) to switch(2), then press F12 while at sea.

Makes sense, I suppose! Bit of a cheat though; in real life, you wouldn't have had that information available either.
But as long as you have fun, that's all that matters! :cheers

I though it was added to make the game more realistic. :rofl:rofl:rofl

Because In real life you could ask your crew members that saw the island to climb up and tell you where the island is again.

Back