• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Is it worth $5?

Is this game worth the $5

• Total voters
Special Offer: East India Company w/ Prima Guide
Get both the game and the guide in a single bundle and save $10!
$49.95
ROTFLMAO

but back to the question.

$5.00 from D2D = Rip off

simply because its from D2D

Notorious for D2D ONLY patches

(Caused by the D2D security system)

I'm unconcerned about the d2d patching, especially at $5. If the game is all that and needs the patching, I could wait a bit longer and get it with DLC elsewhere (impulse, etc...).

So, ignoring where the $5 goes, is it worth $5?

The other problem for this game which i found out the other day is you can only install the game once or so it seem's, i read on the forums over at EIC and many people have said they can't reinstal the game. You have to download a program which allows you to download the game from there server and is automatically activated and patched, its annoying that no repair ability was given on the disc because sometimes games can have files corupted over time and it only needs to be repaird not reinstalled, thats what i like about FSX you have that ability and i can't for the4 life of me understand why no other game developers include that in there options more so on games like this that have a one time activation key.

Its not worth its full price, its not worth much as it stands more work done on developing the game would help improve it but right now the battle engine needs fixing really bad, i told my Schooners to sail way due to a Galleon attacking. The Galleon had the weather gage to its advantage (nothing new there) and my ships instead of sailing off they just sat there trying to sail directly into the wind and the Galleon sunk them all, it seems if you order them to attack they will do it but if you give them a order as simple as sail to point A and stop they will carry on sailing which makes me think that giving them orders that require clicking on the enemy ships overwrites all other orders.

True EIC did not turn out to be the game I hoped for but I think it is definitely worth a five spot. I would have loved to see the original concept of IEC brought to the market or a cross between POTC and Age of Sail I or II, throw in a bit of Pitcairn and what a gem.

With regard to sailing to a location and stopping. Stopping is not really a natural function of a sailboat. Even with all the sails furled the wind resistance of the rigging is enough to move the boat. Sailing to a waypoint and stopping was one the issues hotly debated before the game came out. That is exactly what "Empire Total War" did and many people were very disappointed.

Personally I have never liked waypoint systems with sailing games. Waypoint systems work fine for land based warfare where the natural state is stationary. It works great for moving your forces about a fixed map with fixed topography that can be used for concealment. But I have never seen one that works well for a constantly moving naval battle. As soon as the opponent changes course it can throw off the whole plan.

Sorry if I did not meant to offend. The game is lacking but I don't think it deserves all the bad mouthing it has been getting on the various boards. The game is relatively bug free right out of the box as opposed to other software. Also the developers are working to improve the game.
No I do have any affiliation with the developers or publisher.

Greg.

In the "Tips for EIC"-thread Ive suggested to wait till EIC is in the bargain bins, but Im close to revoke it. Even if I dont think that a patched EIC (so you can acclerate the naval battles) isnt worth 5 bucks - at least to do a few sea battles - but I think that investing that bucks into a movie, Patrician, PotC or even Pirates! might be more entertainment per buck. On the other hand some peps enjoy EIC - for whatever reason.

I went ahead and bought it despite everyone's complaints about it . I spent three days trying to get it to work and still can't even get it to start :modding . I'm guessing it's because I have an integrated video card . Don't know if the games any good or not ,but it's frustrating waisting $20 on a game that should work on my computer but doesn't :urgh

I'm guessing it's because I have an integrated video card . Don't know if the games any good or not ,but it's frustrating waisting $20 on a game that should work on my computer but doesn't :urgh
1 - almost no games within the last 5 years will run on an integrated video card

2 - you paid $20.00 for a $5.00 game :rofl
that's $35.00 overpriced!!! :rofl :rofl :rofl

1 - almost no games within the last 5 years will run on an integrated video card

I finally figured out the problem and got it to work . It wasn't the video card after all . It was the DEP . (sarcastic tone) Thanks for your help and advice Rupert :razz

Well after playing this game for a couple of days I have to say it's not to bad . It could have been a lot better ,and perhaps someday it will be .For now I would rate it a 5 on a scale 1-10 . Very glad I didn't pay the original price of $49.95 . If I had high-speed internet I might have downloaded it cheaper , but I don't so it's a moot point . From what I have read in the forums however most of the download sites don't have proper patch support.

It's still selling at places around here for $45 and up, and they always have the same number of copies. I wish the price would go down, since it looks a little different from the usual strategy gaming fare. Even with all the bugs and shortcomings and whatnot.

Stallion, you can have my copy if you like (i don't know if I can give it to you as a present)

I'll check it out.

Stallion, you can have my copy if you like (i don't know if I can give it to you as a present)

I'll check it out.

Thanks for the offer, but I found a copy in a bargain bin the other day for $2.50, along with Dawn of Discovery. :woot

After playing it for a few hours, I'm kinda glad that's all I paid for it. xD: The bugs I ran into made it all but unplayable. :facepalm

LoL, it's got as low as $2.50?!

Wow, I would suggest you download the directors cut though it's apparently a good thing.

The patches do tend to address a lot of the bugs. The 'Designers Cut' makes the trading side of the game a more playable. They also added some bits to the tactical battle graphics.

Sadly I have to agree that the game overall is not what I had hoped it would be. Though never having played the Pitcarin series the trading side of the game was not much of a let down. I was interested in the game only as a real-time battle simulation. A replacement for 'Age of Sail II.' The ships are pretty, but there is not a lot of stuff to it either on the trading side or the battle side. It also appears that feature enhancement requests tend to fall on deaf ears. It is my impression that the released game is a bit of a salvage job and that the changes that can be made are more cosmetic than structural.

For what it is worth I traded my copy of EIC for COAS.
Greg.

Back