• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Is POTC now worth buying?

Mackenson

Landlubber
I happened across this site and noticed that there is a community mod for POTC that seems pretty extensive. I downloaded it and looked at the readme and it looks interesting, of course, but it's hard to get a sense of POTC gameplay since I don't yet have the game.

I'm a big fan of `sailing-age` games, movies, books, etc. I spent hundreds of hours playing the original Pirates! back on my Commodore 64. So ... I was pretty excited about POTC when I read some of the previews, but of course the actual game was apparently a disappointment.

Of course, seeing the efforts of the community to "fix" things, I am considering running to the store and seeing if I can find a copy. I just want some sense of how the game plays with this mod. So ... some questions....

* I am particularly interested in something that is `open-ended`. Do I have to follow a storyline?

* Can you walk the virtual decks of your ship in `first-person` mode, or does the camera revert to a `third-person` view of your ship when sailing?

* How are the battles? I have Age of Sail II: Privateer's Bounty, and enjoy the strategic aspects of that game, but would like some battles that are a bit more immersive and graphically impressive.

* will it be hard for me to get into the game if I install the mod right away? In other words, do you have to have some experience with the game in order to understand the function of the mods?

Thanks in advance! Seems like a great community here.

1) There is a story line but there are alot of things to do outside the storyline, esspecially with the new build.

2)You can walk on the deck in first person mode.

3) Not sure how stratigic you can get with this game, should wait till someone with more knowledge on this posts.

4) Not at all, its all pretty stright forward, menus are simple to understand.
:cheeky

* I am particularly interested in something that is `open-ended`. Do I have to follow a storyline?
there is a storyline that you can choose to follow but basicly you can do wahtever you want.

* Can you walk the virtual decks of your ship in `first-person` mode, or does the camera revert to a `third-person` view of your ship when sailing?.

there is a third person and a first person but the first is kinda like your a floting head. and can only move around top deck.

* How are the battles? I have Age of Sail II: Privateer's Bounty, and enjoy the strategic aspects of that game, but would like some battles that are a bit more immersive and graphically impressive.
t
here is a bit of strategy invoved on the higher difficultys and the battles are quite good i think you might like them. they are probbaly more immersive.

* will it be hard for me to get into the game if I install the mod right away? In other words, do you have to have some experience with the game in order to understand the function of the mods?

not at all.

Thanks in advance! Seems like a great community here.[/qyour welcome and stick around you never know whats around the corner.

i reccommend buying it.

xD: Mackenson, and welcome aboard! Pull up a keg, have a seat, and have a couple on us! :cheers

Boy, you came in HERE and asked if this game was worth buying? :cheeky Heh, it's like asking the Pope if Jesus is the answer... LOL... You've got the chorus here, and we are singing the praises of the BUILD! xD:

There is a large modding community - not just here, but spread across quite a few pirate gaming enthusiasts websites - and the modders from all these sites have banded together to become the PotC Modding Team.

The PMT is responsible for getting the build out and supporting it (with a LOT of help from everyone here) - and is working on an expansion package that will put 30 new islands into the game - the original has 8. Included in the new islands will be the original islands from the SeaDogs game that Akella released a few years ago. PotC was originally supposed to be SeaDogs II, and then Disney needed a `tie-in` game and had a lot of money &tc &tc &tc...

Anyhoo, I don't need to answer your questions, as the guys before me have done a great job in addressing them! :bow All I will add is that yes, with the Build, the game is SO MUCH MORE than it was originally... There is more to do, more to have fun with, and with the expansion package coming (no eta yet) there will be more world to explore! And a lot of us are sticklers for realism, so if that can be simulated, we're doing it...

Yep... Join the Pirates and take the world! (LOL!)

I am sure you will enjoy PotC with the new Build... xD: :cry

CatalinaThePirate said:
xD: Mackenson, and welcome aboard! Pull up a keg, have a seat, and have a couple on us! xD:

Boy, you came in HERE and asked if this game was worth buying? :cheeky Heh, it's like asking the Pope if Jesus is the answer... LOL... You've got the chorus here, and we are singing the praises of the BUILD! xD:

:cheers Thanks, Catalina. I was looking at the forums but was having a hard time geting a sense of whether the mods made the game bearable, or if it was really now cool and fun.

Nevertheless, I'm sold, and I'll head out tommorow to see if I can locate a copy. it's great to see a mod community coming together like this, and the least I can do is enjoy the fruits of their labor.

Thanks for the welcome. I am looking forward to participating!

Oh definitely cool and fun, Mackenson! Lots to do, even just sailing around is better now with the new build - before there were no real ships you could encounter by sailing around an island, but NOW... Heh... Thar be pyrates in these waters!!! :dio

Check back if you have any questions or problems, we're happy to help! :cheeky

this all said without even mentioning the island addon :cheeky

Welcome aboard Mackenson xD:

I am particularly interested in something that is `open-ended`. Do I have to follow a storyline?

nope! there is a storyline, but you dont HAVE to follow it, although modders have made it 100 times more interesting and fun, and after you beat the "main quest", which is ur so called storyline, you can play after you beat it if you installed the "play after main quest" mod, or installed a build. also there are a BILLION things you can do other than the main quest! it is SO realistic with the Build 11, and when the expansion comes out, itll be 500 times better! argh! trust me mate, you found a good game to play, and A GREAT site to talk and download builds/mods!!!! :cheers

Can you walk the virtual decks of your ship in `first-person` mode, or does the camera revert to a `third-person` view of your ship when sailing?

you are in 3rd person of showing ur ship and sailing it, but you can always go into 1st person mode, walking only the deck tho, not the innard ship, except for your cabin.

will it be hard for me to get into the game if I install the mod right away? In other words, do you have to have some experience with the game in order to understand the function of the mods?

although it is better to have experience in the game, you can easily get the hang of the build. TRUST ME though, i recooment playing the original AT LEAST half way for two reasons. one you get a bit of experience, and two, you get to know WHY mods are so needed for this game, and you will never wanna play without the builds and so on haha :) :yes

Thanks, Catalina. I was looking at the forums but was having a hard time geting a sense of whether the mods made the game bearable, or if it was really now cool and fun.

Nevertheless, I'm sold, and I'll head out tommorow to see if I can locate a copy. it's great to see a mod community coming together like this, and the least I can do is enjoy the fruits of their labor.

Thanks for the welcome. I am looking forward to participating!

yup, it makes it VERY MUCH MORE AND FUN, not just bearable. trust me, the build is SOO much better!

hey mate, if yew love the modding community here, you can also post in the Blind Parrot! we have great fun there! its like a wild tavern i swear! well actually it is... :cheers

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. My wife managed to find POTC for me today, and I've got it and the build installed and `up-and`-running.

I fiddled around for a bit and took my ship out to sea. I can't believe how pretty the ocean graphics are in this game. Very immersive!

The build seems great. I am really impressed by the install routines and automated updates. Absolutely the most professional user comminity mod/`add-on` I've seen.

I only have one thing I am not loving about the Build, and that is having the crew models on the ship in 1st person view. the models are pretty simple, and I think I'd prefer to have the deck to myself. Is there a way to disable this? I've looked in the build.h file but don't see a paramater for that particular feature.

Ahoy Mackenson' glad ye be enjoy'n POTC,de crew is a low resolution
Dll file,Nathan or Catalina can tell ya how tew disable it,although ye might find it lonly on yer deck be yerself ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you can can dip in and out of the story at your leasure or avoid it completely. the plot is advanced each time you complete a task. You can either go onto the next taks or head off on your own and do what you want for as long as you want. then when you are ready you simply complete the next specified task which is all tracked in your journal
.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Can you walk the virtual decks of your ship in `first-person` mode, or does the camera revert to a `third-person` view of your ship when sailing?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
not only can you walk your decks, but towns and islands. Build 11 adds working crew to the decks and you can enter your cabin and walk around in it. There is storage in the cabin to keep cool thing you find while roaming the islands on foot, like artifacts, unique swords, pistols, ect. You can even roam the islands outside the city walls and find lots of cool things, caves, waterfalls, treasure hidden beaches, jungles and bandits who will try to take your money or maidens to rescue from the rape gangs.
the battles are stratigic if you know how to handle your ship and take advantage of it's stregnths and exploit the enemies weaknesses, use the wind to your advantage, if you re fighting a smaller faster ship, you can damage or dissable the sails to even the odds, if you are fighting a slower more powerfull ship, you can use you speed and manuverability to pick away at your enemy while staying clear of his line of fire. If you plan on taking an enemy vessele as prize of war, you can thin out the other ships crew with grape shot before you board, so you have less resistance when you duke it out with swords.

The graphics are the most impressive of any game of this type ever made, you see the flying cannon balls, flames, fire and smoke, explosions, rolling, swelling, waves, wind and weather effects, beautiful sunsets, varrying weather conditions, translucent water with sea creatures swimming below, ect. ect. ect.

You really couldn't ask for more, your jaw will luiterally hit the floor.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not at all, Build 11 only enhances what was already there. Obviously the people who made it have paid a lot of attention to the wish listers.

If you ever wanted to know what it feels like to live as a ship captian in the 17th century, board your own ship and sail off into the sunset and follow your destiny where ever it may take you, POTC is the only way you will ever know.

The best thing about this game is you can do pretty much anything you want , or go anywhere, get off you ship, explore islands, wnader towns, make an honost living or plunder, loot and murder. Spend your proffits as you see fit for bigger better, ships or more of them and the skill points you earn actually go towards making you character better and better.

There is so much to do and see.

In potc you are living a virtual, parrallel life as a captian with his own ship on the carrabean in the 17th century with nothing to guide him but his compass and his own free will.
Thanks in advance! Seems like a great community here.
Do yourself a favor and drop $15 on a copy and then thank us, I guaratee you won't be sorry.

Picasox said:
Do yourself a favor and drop $15 on a copy and then thank us, I guaratee you won't be sorry.

Way ahead of you Pixasox :cheeky

I agree with your very compelling and `well-worded` post. The first time I set sail, I couldn't believe how much it gave me a "you are there" feeling .... the ocean graphics are phenomenal. I'm thinking about putting a fan on my desk that blows across a bowl of salt water -- just to enhance the experience :cheers

Thanks to everyone for their responses and their encouragement. I am definately hooked.

Hee hee, glad you're having fun... Akella's artists are amazing, I think... :cheeky :cheers

Make sure if you get stuck on anything, to pop back in here and ask, we're usually pretty quick with answers (that is, if we know them, LOL!). :cheers

Geez.. us poor Xboxers are missing out.. rats.

Do any of the mods actually put in the real Caribbean Islands?

I was a big fan of Sid Meyer's Pirates, and I know he's coming out with a new one soon. But from what I've seen it's still cartoony, and I really like the more realistic feel this game has. It's beautiful.

I need a new comp! ;)

What's the lamest computer anyone has ever gotten this game to run acceptably on?

Back