• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Medium Priority Island maps on the main map screen

Kara Korsan

Sailor
Hello again to the best modding community there is!

Picked the game back up after a busy month. Enjoying the new update; everything is awesome. There's a small matter I've been meaning to ask about; it's interface-related, but maybe there's an easy way to implement it.

So, I'm yet to find a practical way to take a quick glance at the local map whenever I wanna sail to a particular beach. It's always press F2, go to the Maps tab, scroll forward until you find the one you need (we don't have a sorting option yet, do we) and Examine. Now, you know how hovering over an island on the map screen and holding the right mouse button brings up a small infobox which shows the names and affiliations of the local colonies. Would it be possible to add a feature which allows you to bring up the local map when you, say, left-click on an island? Once you bought the local map, of course. If I wanted to work on that myself, where would I need to start?

Thanks in advance, folks. Have a great one.

Would it be possible to add a feature which allows you to bring up the local map when you, say, left-click on an island?
I'm certain that is indeed possible.

Relevant file is PROGRAM\INTERFACE\map.c .
Perhaps also look in PROGRAM\seadogs.c what code is triggered when you press the [M] button.

This does sound like a feature that makes sense.
One thing I wonder about though is how to switch between showing the regular pop-up and the full island map instead?
Perhaps there is a way to use the middle mouse button for one of the two?

Thanks for the pointers! I've taken a look at the files; it's not something I'm equipped to tackle, I'm afraid, but it was nice to look into the bowels of this thing and make some sense of it all. I've also come across a file named a_map.c, which may or may not be responsible for the "ToolTip" that shows the "IslandInfo," but don't take it from a guy who doesn't even know what a programming language is.

we don't have a sorting option yet, do we
Indeed we don't.

I've also come across a file named a_map.c
You're quite right! That is actually the Archipelago Map itself.
I forgot that was a separate one. :onya

I was going to look to explain how to make this work.
But before I knew it, it already seemed to be working.

Save attached files to PROGRAM\INTERFACE and see how that goes for you.
You can also compare the originals with these new ones.
Perhaps that allows you to understand a bit how it works. :cheeky

Right-click does what it always did.
But left-click opens the Island Map; provided you have it in your inventory.
(If not, nothing happens.)

@Jack Rackham; do you think there is any way this could mess up your quests?
This allows bypassing all your code in items.c ...

everything is awesome

Attachments

• map.c
    3.3 KB · Views: 225
  • a_map.c
    13.7 KB · Views: 223
I have a lot of quest related maps. In my quest the standard archipelago is also used as reference.
To figure out which island maps you've found,(as they are badly damaged)
Could that be spoiled?

I have a lot of quest related maps. In my quest the standard archipelago is also used as reference.
Could that be spoiled?
Uhm...
I don't know?
I don't understand it well enough to say one way or another...

Could that be spoiled?
Are those damaged maps new items, or have you done something to the normal island maps in the story? The new code appears to check that you have a normal island map, e.g. "mapCuba". If your damaged maps are different items then the new code won't recognise them and won't show them when you right-click the archipelago map.

Of course, a player could just buy the normal maps from a store or street trader. Does your code do anything about those?

This...this works perfectly. Thanks a lot, @Pieter Boelen! What you did is easy to understand when I look at the end result, but getting that end result requires learning a whole new language, it seems.

This will prove to be a wonderful time-saver. What do the kids call them these days? Yes, a great "quality of life" feature!

Back